News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona XX29J9B412548 At Mecum Kissimmee T5/C6T

Started by 69F8C500, October 14, 2022, 08:41:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69F8C500

one of many wing cars just put onto mecums Kissimmee auction. posts of the other cars to come. all one collection. Probably the best example of a Hemi 4 speed Daytona out there. same car that David Spade bought for almost one million 6 years back. here is the link, could someone post the Pictures from the website?https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0123-539535/1969-dodge-hemi-daytona/

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mytur Binsdirti

The negative battery cable is incorrect. That'll hurt the price big time.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 15, 2022, 04:19:02 AM
The negative battery cable is incorrect. That'll hurt the price big time.

That, and it's got non original air in the left front tire....

6bblgt

tires are WRONG altogether  :eek2:  1969 HEMI B-body Goodyear Polyglas F70-15 "red" streak STANDARD or Goodyear Polyglas F70-15 "white" streak OPTIONAL no-charge

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

426HemiChick

Hi Tan Top,                15 October 2022

That is one beautifully restored Daytona, the fit and finish is perfection. We always look at the nose and its components. Absolutely flawless. Who restored it? None other than the Grand Master Restorer, Mr. Roger Gibson.

Our guess is it'll top $2Mil.

Our personal opinion: No other restorer can match Roger's work. They come close but not close enough to match perfection.

Best Always

426 Escaped Fugitive from $outhlake'$ Joey Court
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Homerr

Quote from: 6bblgt on October 15, 2022, 12:10:31 PM
tires are WRONG altogether  :eek2:  1969 HEMI B-body Goodyear Polyglas F70-15 "red" streak STANDARD or Goodyear Polyglas F70-15 "white" streak OPTIONAL no-charge

The broadcast sheet looks to be code U64 for the tires.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B0yiRxRtmJ_xUzhwNzBjZmRwbTg?resourcekey=0-LziYAH9MoaeNvBA5AkqpFg

69hemidaytona

I wonder how much different the value would be if it was left in the modified condition before Roger Gibson restored it.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on October 30, 2022, 10:15:17 PM
I wonder how much different the value would be if it was left in the modified condition before Roger Gibson restored it.

Hi 69hemidaytona,               31 October 2022

Halloween today, tomorrow heading for Turkey day.

Don't know what the Daytona looked like before Roger restored it, but our guess is much less than what it will bring. We believe it will hit very close to $2mil. It' a beautiful Daytona with a flawless restoration. Since it has been awhile since its restoration, hopefully there has been no damage or change in its condition.

If we had a spare $2mil we'd buy it. Problem is, we spent that spare $$$ long ago.

It'll be interesting what with other Hemi wing cars on the same block, one of which is also a Roger Gibson restoration; a recent one at that and in our opinion, a nicer color though not as rare as the Copper.

We're going to guess both will hit close to or top $2mil.

Think someone is going to snap up a bunch of wing cars for their collection.

Best Always

The Fugitive of the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                31 October 2022

We'd love to watch Roger restore a Daytona. Problem is, we don't have the time and are too far from him. Just a thought.

Best Always

The Fugitive

nascarxx29

XX29J9B412548 Before
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

A383Wing

all that time and money spent, you would have thought they could have taken care of that speedometer face  :shruggy:

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on October 30, 2022, 10:15:17 PM

Hi 69hemidaytona,                31 October 2022

Today, after accidentally seeing Pre Roger Gibson photos of it on this site, were it like it was in the Photos, maybe $500K and that's a stretch. Hard to say what the body was like back when those photos were taken and what it was like between that time and the time when Roger started restoration.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: A383Wing on October 31, 2022, 12:14:12 PM
all that time and money spent, you would have thought they could have taken care of that speedometer face  :shruggy:

Hi A383Wing,                  31 October 2022

The patina lends originality and authenticity to the displayed milage. We doubt that Roger would do otherwise.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

6bblgt

I don't know if this DAYTONA has been back to Roger Gibson's, but it was originally restored almost 40 years ago for Otis Chandler

nascarxx29

Same car

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gtx6970

I would  think A Daytona build date would be to late for GoodYear Speedway tread tires.

69hemidaytona

That Daytona is probably the most valuable one in existence however it's not perfect. It has a 70 charger Hood, as noted the tires are wrong, other small things are wrong as well. That was one of the very first mopars that Roger Gibson did. Prior to that he had been restoring Corvettes. Even he will admit that he's learned a lot about Mopars since that car was done. This car is being sold with a reserve while my old Hemi Daytona is being sold with no reserve. I just sold my Hemi Daytona to the current seller in August. At the time he was wanting to buy more cars. All of a sudden now he's selling all of his cars at no reserve. Now he is not answering my text messages.

A383Wing

Quote from: 426HemiChick on October 31, 2022, 06:09:03 PM
Quote from: A383Wing on October 31, 2022, 12:14:12 PM

Hi A383Wing,                  31 October 2022

The patina lends originality and authenticity to the displayed milage. We doubt that Roger would do otherwise.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

that is not "patina"....it's a rusted speedometer face that is the first thing someone would see when sitting in the car.....it just jumps put at you and looks like crap....

birdsandbees

It's not rust... they go brown from the heat off the voltage regulator for the gauges.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

A383Wing

Quote from: birdsandbees on November 01, 2022, 01:22:53 PM
It's not rust... they go brown from the heat off the voltage regulator for the gauges.

"rust colored then"......still looks terrible....should have been addressed when it was being put back together.....it's defiantly not "patina"

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on November 01, 2022, 08:08:48 AM
That Daytona is probably the most valuable one in existence however it's not perfect. It has a 70 charger Hood, as noted the tires are wrong, other small things are wrong as well. That was one of the very first mopars that Roger Gibson did. Prior to that he had been restoring Corvettes. Even he will admit that he's learned a lot about Mopars since that car was done. This car is being sold with a reserve while my old Hemi Daytona is being sold with no reserve. I just sold my Hemi Daytona to the current seller in August. At the time he was wanting to buy more cars. All of a sudden now he's selling all of his cars at no reserve. Now he is not answering my text messages.

Hi 69hemidaytona,                   01 November 2022

It couldn't possibly be the great economy Fjb has unleashed upon us, could it? We're stocking up on dog, cat and human food. If greater shortages start occurring, our beloved cars will be the least of our worries. Raw materials like copper, brass, lead, gold and silver, will be in shorter supply than they already are. Interesting times are ahead. Seven more days . . . . plus 1 and we'll know.

We'd like to go to the auction but plans are to be a rehabbing new knees around that time. Guess we'll be a "watchin" it on Dena's new "Big Screen" TV. We finished the stand for it, which turned out quite nice. It's built so well it should withstand a Nuclear blast . . . . which we hope never occurs.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Quote from: A383Wing on November 01, 2022, 03:37:49 PM

"rust colored then"......still looks terrible....should have been addressed when it was being put back together.....it's defiantly not "patina"

Hi A383Wing,                  01 November 2022

How about "Aged" Hemi Orange? It gives the car "Character." Kind of like some of the folks one sees at collector car auctions and Web Sites devoted to Mopar's.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

69hemidaytona

Quote from: A383Wing on November 01, 2022, 03:37:49 PM
I noticed the yellow gauges as well and it's a big pet peeve of mine however Roger Gibson did this car sometime in the 1980s I believe. Those gauges have yellowed since that time. If you look at the magazine photos the gauges were nice and white.

"rust colored then"......still looks terrible....should have been addressed when it was being put back together.....it's defiantly not "patina
I noticed the yellow gauges as well and it's a big pet peeve of mine however Roger Gibson did this car sometime in the 1980s I believe. Those gauges have yellowed since that time. If you look at the magazine photos the gauges were nice and white.

69hemidaytona

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on November 01, 2022, 10:44:39 PM

Hi 69hemidaytona,                 02 November 2022

If we didn't have my Knee issues, we'd go to the auction, buy the Daytona, have Roger restore the Speedometer, end of peeves. For awhile; until next time.

Darn Knees. Oh well, when it comes up for sale again.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

tan top

dont quote me on this but i think from memory originally  :scratchchin:   that Daytona was so well preserved , it was  only the exterior body painted & wing / hood repaired / replaced , if i remember correctally, engine compartment,  underside  was left un touched with all the factory inspection marks & assembly line parts , the interior did not need anything except a good cleaning, i await to be corrected with anything  :yesnod:  . i could be getting confused with something else & or its been a nut & bolt resto since i think i remembered the story on this car  :shruggy:

:popcrn: :popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

hemi68charger

I'd trade for this Hemi 4speed.......  :lol:  You knew that was coming........................   
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

69hemidaytona

Quote from: tan top on November 02, 2022, 07:07:23 AM
dont quote me on this but i think from memory originally  :scratchchin:   that Daytona was so well preserved , it was  only the exterior body painted & wing / hood repaired / replaced , if i remember correctally, engine compartment,  underside  was left un touched with all the factory inspection marks & assembly line parts , the interior did not need anything except a good cleaning, i await to be corrected with anything  :yesnod:  . i could be getting confused with something else & or its been a nut & bolt resto since i think i remembered the story on this car  :shruggy:

:popcrn: :popcrn:
I know the interior was untouched. I don't know the extent of any undercarriage work. I would almost be certain that the engine was not rebuilt since the mileage was so low. It was probably just detailed. When I recently sold my Hemi Daytona I was able to get a world record price for a hemi-automatic Daytona. It made sense for me to sell it since I had it sitting in a museum and couldn't even look at the car let alone drive it. Maybe I'll have wished I held on to it, maybe not. I guess we'll find out in January. Does anybody know what day these cars are being auctioned?

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on November 02, 2022, 08:15:11 AM

I know the interior was untouched. I don't know the extent of any undercarriage work. I would almost be certain that the engine was not rebuilt since the mileage was so low. It was probably just detailed. When I recently sold my Hemi Daytona I was able to get a world record price for a hemi-automatic Daytona. It made sense for me to sell it since I had it sitting in a museum and couldn't even look at the car let alone drive it. Maybe I'll have wished I held on to it, maybe not. I guess we'll find out in January. Does anybody know what day these cars are being auctioned?

Hi 69hemidaytona,             07 November 2022

"Maybe I'll have wished I held on to it, maybe not. I guess we'll find out in January. Does anybody know what day these cars are being auctioned?"

Best we could find is 04 - 15 January 2023. The MECUM ad calls it a Main Attraction. Guess is it will hit the block later.

Once it and your Hemi Daytona are sold, what's left? Think there may be a couple additional Hemi Wing cars. Our guess is iffy.

The election is tomorrow, we should have a fair idea where this country is heading by the next day (09 Nov). It could bode well for the prices and it could knock the pins out. This is going to be interesting, just hope it goes the right way.

We think you did well for yourself. Prices go up, they go down. Reminds me of a stockbroker I met on a flight way back when my knees were still pristine. His advice: "Buy Low, Sell High. Don't get Greedy."

If things go well tomorrow, our guess: Both cars will top $2mil. If we were the ones buying them, we'd rather have yours as it is the color we like, Roger did a complete restoration on yours so it's as perfect as they get and frankly, the copper color though rare, doesn't ring our bell. Best we can say for it is it does have, color rarity, low mileage and a 4 spd, which don't mean a lot to us. The 4sp rarity thing has been debunked yet the hucksters keep using it; yeah, we know, they are only interested in squeezing the last buck out of them. Call them: "Classy High End Flippers."

Looking forward to Wednesday's results. We think we know where things will go, just not saying on this neutral thread.

You need to look at Phoenix if you want a dry place for your cars. Lots of sunshine, low humidity (avg. 8%) and beautiful scenery (Mountains) surrounding this place and a great highway system. Almost forgot: No Hurricanes !!!

The auction starts about 3 weeks after my knee surgery; hoping they will do both knees rather than making me wait 3 months. Will be in rehab so that precludes us from attending.

Take care amigo, enjoy life; that's what it's all about.

God Bless You and Your Family, Happy Thanksgiving and Have a Blessed Christmas and New Year !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

6bblgt

the copper 4-speed HEMI Daytona (lot # R411) is currently on the docket for Friday January 13th

the orange automatic HEMI Daytona (lot # R182) is currently on the docket for Thursday January 12th

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 08, 2022, 01:36:59 PM
the copper 4-speed HEMI Daytona (lot # R411) is currently on the docket for Friday January 13th

the orange automatic HEMI Daytona (lot # R182) is currently on the docket for Thursday January 12th

Hi 6bblgt,                  08 November 2022

Thanks for finding the dates and posting them. Guess we didn't search the right area or just don't know where to look.

We'd sure like to have Tony's V2 Hemi Daytona; it's almost a duplicate of Bob's Hemi Daytona. Can't go to Kissimmee, will be in knee rehab then. Maybe do a TV/computer hookup. Will have to see how the knees are doing by then.

Thanks Again 6bblgt.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

nascarxx29

69hemidaytona

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 08, 2022, 01:36:59 PM

Thank you for that info but how are you able to determine that? The letter R in front of the item number does not correspond on their chart with any date.

6bblgt

they have the "R" vehicles all over the "schedule"   :slap:

I went thru the Thursday and Friday individual listings until I found the 2 HEMI Daytonas   :cheers:  I used "currently" because I'll "ASSUME" that could change  :shruggy:

hemi-hampton

nascarxx29

The daytona came out almost in 70 and had 70 hood and fenders

426HemiChick

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 09, 2022, 10:25:01 PM
The daytona came out almost in 70 and had 70 hood and fenders
Hi nascarxx29,               13 November 2022

Don't remember where we read that the 69 Daytona hoods were a special production run and differed a little from the 1970 Charger production hood.

We had an original 69 Daytona and a spare 70 Charger hood. From the best that we could tell from looking at them, they were the same with the exception of holes for the hood pins. This was not a scientific examination.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

6bblgt

there was nothing NECESARY about a '69 Daytona hood that made it a Daytona VS '70 Charger hood, but the earliest production run of hoods did not have "RIBS" to support the leading edge - some of the early '70 Chargers also have the same "NO RIB" hood

& AFAIK there are no Daytonas with factory hood turn signals  :scratchchin:

70 sublime

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 13, 2022, 10:45:48 PM
there was nothing NECESARY about a '69 Daytona hood that made it a Daytona VS '70 Charger hood, but the earliest production run of hoods did not have "RIBS" to support the leading edge - some of the early '70 Chargers also have the same "NO RIB" hood

When you say the Daytona never had the hood turn signal lights in the hood was the hole there and just had the blanks or was the hole never punched out ?

I have one of the early 70 hoods with out the extra ribs at the front but but I also have no hood pin holes in mine
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

426HemiChick

Hi 6bblgt,                13 November 2022

Since we no longer have the Daytona or the hood, and working from memory there were no ribs that we remember. So it was an early 70 hood because the guy we bought it from said it came from a 70 Charger and is the same as the hood on the Daytona's with the exception of the holes for the hood pins.

If that's the case, then if an early 70 charger hood is used to replace an original Daytona hood, then it's no big deal when it comes to "Originality" of the Daytona; correct?

Reason we are broaching this subject is the Copper Hemi Daytona 4-spd does not have its original hood yet the car is considered by some to be the rarest Hemi Daytona.

Please don't think we are being critical of anything or anybody, just trying to learn what is what in case we decide to own another Daytona. We do miss ours. When you come down to it, being a parent of a Daytona puts one into a rare club; even rarer if it's a Hemi Daytona.

Thanks for the information and lesson.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

& AFAIK there are no Daytonas with factory hood turn signals  :scratchchin:

Hi 6bblgt,               14 November 2022

Since the 69 Daytona's were produced using 70 Charger hoods and fenders, this probably means that the 69 Daytona's were produced during the 70 model run. We have heard the Daytona's were Made from 69 Chargers that were leftover, but this makes no sense because some of the Daytona's were special ordered. Whatever the case may be, we think there are some mysteries about the Daytona's that will never see the light of day. That's fine, probably makes them even more valuable and more enjoyable to talk about. Lots of "What If's."

On the subject of the signal lights, our Daytona had the holes in the hood for the lights and were filled by what appeared (from memory) to be the light without the guts of the light. Made for a convenient place to lift the hood enough to get one's hand under the hood so one could release the safety latch. We do not remember if the 70 hood had them.

Need to stay off the threads about Daytona's; if we don't we'll get the Daytona "Itch" to buy one which will interfere with our KW project.

Going to work on Knees and will worry about Daytona's and KW Trokas luego.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks  

A383Wing

didn't we just have a conversation about the Daytona hoods that had openings at the cowl edge that no other hoods had?

hemigeno

Quote from: A383Wing on November 14, 2022, 08:14:04 PM
didn't we just have a conversation about the Daytona hoods that had openings at the cowl edge that no other hoods had?

:yesnod:    A few years ago, but here's one thread which discusses the topic:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,130780.0/all.html

A383Wing

69hemidaytona

Mecum's website is now showing this Hemi Daytona and all of the rest of the cars this seller is selling are at no reserve. Prior to now this car and I think all of the rest of his were reserve. Also the Hemi Daytona I formerly owned is selling at no reserve one day earlier.

hemi68charger

Mine has it.. The car is coded with A01.. Now, did all of them with the AO1 get the trunk light switch mount bracket relocated and the hood indicators mounted? My Daytona was painted/"restored" back in 94.. I would need to ask the then owners if they added the light assemblies.....
Troy

held1823

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 01, 2022, 07:40:08 AM

Mine has it.. The car is coded with A01.. Now, did all of them with the AO1 get the trunk light switch mount bracket relocated and the hood indicators mounted? My Daytona was painted/"restored" back in 94.. I would need to ask the then owners if they added the light assemblies.....

Mine is also coded for A01. The trunk light switch bracket was relocated but the car never had hood indicators
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

69_500

Quote from: held1823 on December 01, 2022, 07:47:09 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 01, 2022, 07:40:08 AM

A01 is light group, but does not include hood turn signals. Those are L31.

Mine is also coded for A01. The trunk light switch bracket was relocated but the car never had hood indicators

nascarxx29

69hemidaytona

I noticed that Mecum has listed estimated sale prices on all of the wing cars now.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on December 15, 2022, 12:50:37 PM
I noticed that Mecum has listed estimated sale prices on all of the wing cars now.

Yeah on most , but not all. Big ticket items I guess.
Not only wing cars but other estimates seem optimistic to me, but time will tell.

Wondering why the B5 440+6 console 4spd bird with white interior is estimated so 'low' compared to the rest.
That one is my choice. I know it's not pristine but still.

426HemiChick

Hi Hemi Daytona,                     13 January 2023

You made a good deal when you sold your Daytona; it went Thursday 12 January 2023 for about $725 K. Don't remember the exact amount but know it wasn't what we had expected nor was it close to what you sold it for.

The Bronze Hemi Daytona went for $900K.

Our guess is it will show up here in Phoenix this week to be flipped at the BJ auction next week, which will be interesting. Don't know the dates for the different categories.

Hope all is well and you and Your Family had a Very Happy, Blessed Christmas and New Year !!!

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

cudavic

Quote from: WINGIN IT on December 15, 2022, 02:26:40 PM

Not only wing cars but other estimates seem optimistic to me, but time will tell.

Wondering why the B5 440+6 console 4spd bird with white interior is estimated so 'low' compared to the rest.

I agree that it seemed kind of low and I guess the auction results kind of proved that as it sold for $187,000.00 plus whatever additional fees.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: cudavic on January 13, 2023, 08:30:55 AM

I agree that it seemed kind of low and I guess the auction results kind of proved that as it sold for $187,000.00 plus whatever additional fees.

$187K was with the fees. ;)

cudavic

Quote from: WINGIN IT on January 13, 2023, 08:45:39 AM
Quote from: cudavic on January 13, 2023, 08:30:55 AM

$187K was with the fees. ;)

Thanks, I was not sure if they were included or not.

6bblgt

it was mentioned on another site that the blue 440+6 car for $170K + 17.5 in fees had fiberglass nose & spoiler - can anyone confirm?

birdsandbees

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 13, 2023, 12:07:40 PM
it was mentioned on another site that the blue 440+6 car for $170K + 17.5 in fees had fiberglass nose & spoiler - can anyone confirm?

The actual buyer claimed elsewhere that they'd found a magnet before the car went across the block and states the nose was not fiberglass. Of course that magnet is useless for the wing...  :icon_smile_big: and that wasn't confirmed as to be fiberglass or aluminum.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487