News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wing Car Prices

Started by taxspeaker, October 15, 2022, 10:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Impkidd

Glad that you are ok, and the accident wasn't worse for you. The car can be fixed. Easy to say, but accidents do happen. We all learn from our mistakes and from others. I've had my share. Rob.

taxspeaker

Excellent video with lots of info, thanks Wayne  it also states which ones have s/n matching engines and transmissions if you listen closely. These cars are clearly, from an investors point of view, the pinnacle of wing cars. I do not see any of these being driven anywhere, so kissimmee in January will be a great show to maybe see them out for the last time. There might be an exception or two to that last statement.

Bob

Impkidd

Also, the Florida hurricane wing cars that were shown all over the news, had to spark some investors interest in owning one as an investment and conversation piece. I've had people that weren't into wing cars tell me of the videos, since I have a car.

WINGIN IT

Quote from: taxspeaker on October 17, 2022, 07:29:25 AM
... There might be an exception or two to that last statement.

Bob

Should we start a pool on which ones those might be  ;D 

Noticed this prime example just showed up on BaT .
Guessing he wants to beat the auction.
Anyone's here?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-plymouth-superbird-29/

Birdflu

Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 17, 2022, 09:13:37 AM

Bob

Anyone's here?

Wow! Really nice looking restoration on that one!  :drool5:

Birdflu

Excellent video with lots of info, thanks Wayne  it also states which ones have s/n matching engines and transmissions if you listen closely. These cars are clearly, from an investors point of view, the pinnacle of wing cars. I do not see any of these being driven anywhere, so kissimmee in January will be a great show to maybe see them out for the last time. There might be an exception or two to that last statement.

Bob

Excellent video! I'm sure glad to hear the gentleman lives in Georgia and not Minnesota as first suggested. Being a Mopar nut and having lived in Minnesota my whole life, I'd be ashamed to not have heard about this collection!

70 sublime

Quote from: WINGIN IT on October 17, 2022, 09:13:37 AM

Bob

Anyone's here?

Or will new buyer of this BaT car take it to the same auction hoping for a big pay off but have a reserve on it just in case ?
Might be a better bet :)
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

69_500

Bob I partially agree with what you said at the beginning of this thread. I have however based my thought on it over the historical patterns on these cars. Prices have jumped on the wing cars several times in the time I have been tracking them. Big jump in 79-81 time frame. They started trading hands near what original sticker price was. Then cars kind of leveled off until about 87-88. Huge jump again in prices on these cars. Hemi Daytona's in 80-81 were $7-10k, by 89 it was $80-90k. But they leveled off and dropped bit in early 90's. By 1995-6 a Hemi Daytona was around $125k. By 2003 the wing cars prices went nuts and a Hemi Daytona sold for $600k. Then prices dropped back down for the next 3-4 years, until steadily getting back to the new highs. Fast forward to 2014 Hemi Daytona sells for $900k. Same car sells again a few years later for $650k. However now that we are in 2022 same car is probably going to be over $1.3M. Now the prices may drop in 2023-4 and come down but by 2030 they should be even higher than they are now.

Prices are like stocks. They go up, then have a correction, and steadily gain over the next few years to get back to new all time highs. When they go nuts, they always cool off for a few years.

You know I have been trying to get into a Daytona for a very long time now. Still trying. One day there will be one sitting in my garage permanently.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69_500 on October 17, 2022, 04:25:18 PM
Bob I partially agree with what you said at the beginning of this thread. I have however based my thought on it over the historical patterns on these cars. Prices have jumped on the wing cars several times in the time I have been tracking them. Big jump in 79-81 time frame. They started trading hands near what original sticker price was. Then cars kind of leveled off until about 87-88. Huge jump again in prices on these cars. Hemi Daytona's in 80-81 were $7-10k, by 89 it was $80-90k. But they leveled off and dropped bit in early 90's. By 1995-6 a Hemi Daytona was around $125k. By 2003 the wing cars prices went nuts and a Hemi Daytona sold for $600k. Then prices dropped back down for the next 3-4 years, until steadily getting back to the new highs. Fast forward to 2014 Hemi Daytona sells for $900k. Same car sells again a few years later for $650k. However now that we are in 2022 same car is probably going to be over $1.3M. Now the prices may drop in 2023-4 and come down but by 2030 they should be even higher than they are now.

Prices are like stocks. They go up, then have a correction, and steadily gain over the next few years to get back to new all time highs. When they go nuts, they always cool off for a few years.

You know I have been trying to get into a Daytona for a very long time now. Still trying. One day there will be one sitting in my garage permanently.

Hi 69_500,                17 October 2022

We really hope you succeed in obtaining your Daytona. Most folks don't know just how great it feels to have one; remember, they Own Us. We were lucky, we adopted our 69 Hemi Daytona 50 years ago this past June or early July. Bob Jennings adopted her two years ago 27 Oct 2020. At that point we had had her 48 years. We do miss her but we are happy she has a great home.

Just don't wait till you're in your 80's before allowing one to adopt you. My clock's batteries are running down, they get recharged periodically, but there is a finite limit to the number of recharges a battery will accept. My next recharge will be new Knees. Hoping to have both replaced at the same time. Rehab may be a bit rougher at first but the end result should be the same as for a single knee. Would rather do two and get it all done did at once. We'll see what the doc says.

God Bless

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

cudavic

Yet another video.

Daytonas & Superbirds - Gary Edwards Wing Car & Mopar Collection // Mecum Kissimmee, Jan. 4-15, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g__M8lZ-CRE