News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona XX29J9B386551 At Mecum Kissimmee

Started by 69F8C500, October 20, 2022, 09:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 06, 2022, 10:26:39 AM
Supposably 10 Daytona's shipped to the Hawaiian Island. anybody know of any Daytona's on Hawaii? LEON.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

426HemiChick

Hi LEON,                 06 November 2022

We weren't criticizing you, just adding our opinion on GG. Believe us, we respect you and most others here. I was a cop and don't cotton to scumbags. What he tried to pull on Bob was dirty pool. When Bob found the other Build sheet in the Daytona it was a comeuppance well deserved. Hope he enjoys the purloined Build Sheet; "It ain't worth Sheet." Guess he could eat it for dessert.

All we can say to anyone doing business with GG is: "Buyer Beware!!!"

Thanks LEON.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on November 06, 2022, 01:02:50 PM
Hi LEON,                 06 November 2022

We weren't criticizing you, just adding our opinion on GG. Believe us, we respect you and most others here. I was a cop and don't cotton to scumbags. What he tried to pull on Bob was dirty pool. When Bob found the other Build sheet in the Daytona it was a comeuppance well deserved. Hope he enjoys the purloined Build Sheet; "It ain't worth Sheet." Guess he could eat it for dessert.

All we can say to anyone doing business with GG is: "Buyer Beware!!!"

Thanks LEON.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Hi, I wasn't feeling criticized, no hard feelings, was just letting you know that's probably where most people are getting that 70 total number from. I'm well aware of what Galen tried to pull, I remember that post well & think I even commented on that post or a similar post about it. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Another Hawaiian Ad. Leon.

426HemiChick

Hi LEON,                 06 November 2022

If only we could have known the future, we'd have bought at least half a dozen and put them in climate controlled storage.

Were Foresight as accurate as Hindsight, we'd all be rich.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Mopar John

This HEMI Daytona XX29J9B386551 had to be the best Daytona buy at the Mecum auction hammering at $750,000.00!! WOW!
It has a solid verification of numbers matching engine and trans with a lengthy Roger Gibson restoration.
I know that the owner during the restoration went to great length's and expense to find
the correct NOS and assembly line date coded parts on this one!
MJ

69hemidaytona

Quote from: Mopar John on January 15, 2023, 07:55:26 PM
This HEMI Daytona XX29J9B386551 had to be the best Daytona buy at the Mecum auction hammering at $750,000.00!! WOW!
It has a solid verification of numbers matching engine and trans with a lengthy Roger Gibson restoration.
I know that the owner during the restoration went to great length's and expense to find
the correct NOS and assembly line date coded parts on this one!
MJ

I don't think the bidders realized just how many NOS parts were on that car. My plan all along was to have magazine articles written up on the car describing what was done and also to take it to quite a few shows. Then at that point I was planning on selling it. An eager buyer came along however and made me an offer that I just couldn't turn down. I'm not sure if he bought it with the intent of flipping it or something made him change his mind immediately after buying it but I do know he lost a tremendous amount of money on that car. Most of the wing cars brought disappointing numbers far below the estimated sale prices. It would appear that temporary spike in prices we saw late last year was just an anomaly.

A13

I would say that is was foolish to have so many for sale at one auction.  Flooded the market.

birdsandbees

Quote from: A13 on January 16, 2023, 04:11:10 PM
I would say that is was foolish to have so many for sale at one auction.  Flooded the market.

Yep, if I've said it once I've said it a dozen times in the past month. Why on earth would you bring 17 +/- wing cars to the same auction. "Hey, what colour do you like the most"... and everyone picks one and bids on it with minimal competition.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 426HemiChick on October 21, 2022, 02:24:07 AM
Hi Folks,                  21 October 2022

Going to give our take on this beautiful restoration by the Mopar Master restorer Mr. Roger Gibson. This Hemi Daytona will hammer between $1.8 - $2.1 Mil.

There's only one RG and a finite number of Hemi Daytona's restored by Roger. They will continue to appreciate at a greater rate than other restorations.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Your Guestimate was a little off :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: birdsandbees on January 16, 2023, 05:19:03 PM
Quote from: A13 on January 16, 2023, 04:11:10 PM
I would say that is was foolish to have so many for sale at one auction.  Flooded the market.

Yep, if I've said it once I've said it a dozen times in the past month. Why on earth would you bring 17 +/- wing cars to the same auction. "Hey, what colour do you like the most"... and everyone picks one and bids on it with minimal competition.

I do not disagree and certainly is not the way I would have done it.    And yet you had someone pay $280k with fees for a not so nice Lemon Twist U code column auto bench Superbird on the last day.   That car was $100k over what you could have bought it on the street last week.   The guy paid within $10k of the Petty Blue 6bbl 4-speed.  

The $750k for the Hemi Daytona was indeed low for the current times.       It ran on a different day.    It did not have the name power that the copper car had and the hype machine was really cranked up with all Mecums media partners.     But it certainly did not justify a 45% discount over the copper Daytona that had a much older restoration.   Hard to explain.

On the 440 cars,  the old Paul Kaufmann R4 Daytona at $440k is nuts compared to say the Omaha Orange or Q5 car.    It outsold all the other cars with the rare colors.  With auctions, you just never know what is going to happen.  

Big Willie did predictably terrible.   But I think money was still made.  

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on January 16, 2023, 08:07:04 PM
The $750k for the Hemi Daytona was indeed low for the current times.       It ran on a different day.    It did not have the name power that the copper car had and the hype machine was really cranked up with all Mecums media partners.     But it certainly did not justify a 45% discount over the copper Daytona that had a much older restoration.   Hard to explain.

Big Willie did predictably terrible.   But I think money was still made.  

The price difference on the two hemi cars boggles the mind.

The results show that the Willie livery on the non raced car is a negative value.
The same car restored to stock would likely fall in the middle of the other cars here.
Spend 15k for a repaint and be done with it.

The price for the Y2 car shows why a tan interior in a yellow car was a rare combo when new. No love then, no love now.

The pro touring mods on the A4 car were likely a negative value that even the hemi swap could not overcome

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 16, 2023, 07:05:21 PM
Your Guestimate was a little off :shruggy:

Hi LEON,               17 January 2023

You got that right!

We'd have paid $2mil if we were in the market for another Daytona. In our estimation, Tony's Daytona is the nicest Restored Daytona around and it's the right color (V2); not that we're partial to V2, which we are.

We made a load of errors on the results. Got the figures from the video of the auction. Must have been asleep at the switch! Watched them again early this AM and saw our errors. Guess we'll have to go back and correct them.

Take Care LEON

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

triple_green

Thanks for compiling this, I was about to do it my self.

Note that these are the prices with the buyers premium included. So the equivalent non-auction price would actually be 15-20% less than these prices as the sellers paid Mecum a 5-10% sellers fee on the sale also.

The average price for the 6 bottom cars, with more common features, was $326K, but if you factor out the 15% fees that were charged the equivalent non-auction price is $283K, to me a better indicator of where the market is, even given they were sold at a big name auction venue.

Mark

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

426HemiChick

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on January 16, 2023, 01:26:41 PM
I don't think the bidders realized just how many NOS parts were on that car. My plan all along was to have magazine articles written up on the car describing what was done and also to take it to quite a few shows. Then at that point I was planning on selling it. An eager buyer came along however and made me an offer that I just couldn't turn down. I'm not sure if he bought it with the intent of flipping it or something made him change his mind immediately after buying it but I do know he lost a tremendous amount of money on that car. Most of the wing cars brought disappointing numbers far below the estimated sale prices. It would appear that temporary spike in prices we saw late last year was just an anomaly.

Hi Tony,                 17 January 2023

The good thing is, you got your money before the auction. We just hope the new owner takes good care of your Daytona.

Mecum did a good job of hyping the bronze Daytona. They are having another auction here in Arizona sometime after the BJ auction that's coming up in the next week or so.

We're guessing some of the cars that crossed the block at Mecum will show up at the BJ auction. Remains to be seen.

The economy and the looming recession possibly played a part; also, there were too many wing cars on the block.

We're glad you did well on your car; you put a lot into it and deserve the rewards.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

held1823

Quote from: triple_green on January 17, 2023, 01:03:32 PM

Thanks for compiling this, I was about to do it my self.

Note that these are the prices with the buyers premium included. So the equivalent non-auction price would actually be 15-20% less than these prices as the sellers paid Mecum a 5-10% sellers fee on the sale also.

The average price for the 6 bottom cars, with more common features, was $326K, but if you factor out the 15% fees that were charged the equivalent non-auction price is $283K, to me a better indicator of where the market is, even given they were sold at a big name auction venue.

Mark

It is noted right in the header that the buyer's fee is included in the prices shown. Your factoring is wrong, the "non auction price" would be ten percent less - that is what a buyer would have paid for the car- the seller's expense has no bearing on that.  

The market is indeed the prices seen above, especially since sellers looking to maximize their return will run them through either an auction or a broker. You otherwise run the risk of not receiving as high an amount for the car. Look no further than John's B5 (private sale) or Gene's R4 (broker) versus Tony's W1 selling at auction. Three OE Gold cars, and the white one bringing more even after the seller fees.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A13

Comparisons are fun.  But we must compare the time frame and changing markets also.  Johns B5 sold a few years ago, what was the month and year?

And when did Gens R4 sell? 

The market was different 2-3 years ago, both private sales and auctions.
So would they have reached the same dollars at auction 2-3 years ago as in January 2023?

Mopar John

After owning the B5 Daytona for 40 years it was sold in early May of 2021 or just about 2 years ago.
We were good care takers and treated it to the best of restorations in 2009.
The problem with an OE car is that after you have done all the shows you can't drive it.
The fun part for me was finding all those correct and original parts.
MJ

69hemidaytona

Quote from: Mopar John on January 18, 2023, 08:37:24 PM
After owning the B5 Daytona for 40 years it was sold in early May of 2021 or just about 2 years ago.
We were good care takers and treated it to the best of restorations in 2009.
The problem with an OE car is that after you have done all the shows you can't drive it.
The fun part for me was finding all those correct and original parts.
MJ

Finding the NOS parts was like being in a treasure hunt. Once your done it's a bit of a let down. I would have loved to take the car to car shows and have magazine articles written about it but storage was costing me $250 a month and insurance was almost that much too. By the time you add those numbers to the cost to travel to the shows it just didn't make sense to keep it. I couldn't even look at the car without traveling 500 miles to the museum and I was never going to be able to drive the car more than the two test miles I put on it. Now CDs are paying 5 percent interest. Only a rich man can justify owning these cars. I was happy to own it while I did but it was just a source of anxiety once it was finished. Someday I'll buy a car that I can drive and have fun with.

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                  19 January 2023

We had our Hemi Daytona from about July 1972 until 27 October 2020, 48 years. In the early years, 72 to 75 we drove it quite a bit except during late fall through late spring because we lived in the Akron Ohio area then and it is known for the lousiest weather in the US; average annual sunshine: 67 days, lots of snow and SALT on the roadways.

The four years from 75 through 1979 our Daytona, RR and SB were, stored in various locations and not driven. Our Hemi Cuda 4-Spd was sold in 75 and at the time it was "Good Riddance." Now we wished we had kept it; hindsight, ain't it wonderful.

Once we relocated to Texas, figured out the best place to live in the DFW area, we bought a house, settled in and then moved the cars to the new house in Southlake. We kept them in the garage, rarely ever taking them out and never driving them.

In 1987 we decided to test the value of the cars; we advertised all three of them in Hemming's for $50K. We had an almost instant response from a Person in New York. Long story short we made a tentative agreement to sell them to that person. The next day we received calls from Mopar owners telling us the cars were worth a lot more than what we were asking.

That was over a weekend and by Sunday we had a change of mind. We called our lawyer and he told us since there was nothing in writing and all contracts in Texas can be cancelled without repercussions if done within three days. Aside from that, the laws in New York were meaningless in Texas. The rejected buyer was pissed and threatened to sue us. Told him to do whatever he wanted because his NY laws were meaningless in Texas.

The next year we advertised them again and received an offer of $300K for the Daytona. That told us we should hang onto the cars. They were better than money in the bank. From that point on we just left them sitting in the garage, rarely ever opening the garage door. 99% of the neighbors never knew they were in there.

In 2006 a friend that knew of the cars talked to an employee of a very wealthy individual in Southlake who just happened to be looking for a Hemi Daytona. The employee started bugging me to sell all the cars to his boss. Told him they were not for sale. Eventually he offered us $1mil for all three. We told him we'd sell the Daytona, no others.

He came to see the Daytona on a Sunday, bringing along someone familiar with them and verified the Daytona was original and matching numbers. He asked what we wanted for the HD and we said $1.2 mil. He said that's a little high. We told him to look around the garage, there are no For Sale signs here, you came to us, if you want it that's the price; if you don't, we don't give a shit cause we really don't want to sell it. Turns out he is a convicted felon. Had a gut feeling there was something wrong with the guy. Glad we didn't do business with him. He lives about 1000 feet from were we lived in Southlake. One of the greatest satisfactions in owning our Daytona was the fact that they are rare, few folks will ever own one and we were able to prevent a crook from owning her.

When we got on this site I made a batch of errors getting off to a bad start. As we continued posting on the site we learned a lot from you folks and eventually sold the Daytona to a member here, Bob Jennings aka "taxspeaker." We knew he would take very good care of her so we sold her to him in Oct 2020.

Do we regret selling the Daytona? The answer is we were more concerned about the Buyer and their intentions for the Daytona. Money was an after thought. When Bob sent us a message asking if we'd be interested in selling him our Daytona, we didn't respond until after more than a year had passed. So now Bob's Hemi Daytona, one of the rarest Daytona's on earth, has a good home, lots of wing car company and a loving family.

I was 80 at the time and no longer had the fire in my belly to work on cars. Here we are two years later both my knees are shot and I have one additional issue which will require surgery. Trying to figure out when to have it done as the knees have priority on my end but scheduling is the controlling factor.

Tony, we know where you are coming from. We think you made a wise decision selling it prior to the auction and the auction numbers prove it. Had we decided to keep our Daytona it would never have been driven on the highway as long as we owned it. They are too rare and valuable to risk subjecting them to the distracted driving habits of the American Public. Read that as "Boneheads."

Got a bit long winded, so if anyone is offended, we are sorry, no offense intended.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

held1823

Quote from: A13 on January 18, 2023, 12:16:08 PM
Comparisons are fun.  But we must compare the time frame and changing markets also.  Johns B5 sold a few years ago, what was the month and year?

And when did Gens R4 sell? 

The market was different 2-3 years ago, both private sales and auctions.
So would they have reached the same dollars at auction 2-3 years ago as in January 2023?

You completely miss the point that the selling price at auction was higher than the private sale.
That was the gist of the original comment and my reply and has nothing to do with the prices then versus now.

Regarding the prices, the market does change as you stated but all three cars that I referenced were advertised/sold around the same time.
All three of them are as blue chip as a 440 Daytona can be but someone paid more for what many consider to be the lesser car of the three.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053