News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TCP Global paint

Started by jerry, October 25, 2022, 07:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerry

is this single stage urethane any better then shop line?

hemi-hampton

If you want something better use top of the line products not low quality low budget Priced Paints. :shruggy: :scratchchin: :brickwall: :slap:

jerry

always have till now.Trying to find a top of the line 1969 R-4 RED single stage urethane PPG and all they want to  sell me is shop line.or i have to get it in base clear . same with Dupont.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: jerry on October 25, 2022, 09:27:22 PM
always have till now.Trying to find a top of the line 1969 R-4 RED single stage urethane PPG and all they want to  sell me is shop line.or i have to get it in base clear . same with Dupont.

HMMM. That seems odd. I wonder why? LEON.

AZMoparboy

Hi, Anytime I chime in on a subject it's just what I've chosen to do and it has been successful to me. My avatar here on this website is of and 73 charger that I've built more than 15 years ago. The paint is TCP global that I purchased off of eBay. Granted my car is inside all of its life since I completed it. Not sure if they still have this exact color, but it is called hot rod red. I have also used the same kind of paint from TCP global on a 71 challenger. It has been done for over eight years now. It has a new owner in Glendale Arizona. Both cars are two phase, I found a shop here in Chandler Arizona that excepted the challenge to paint the car for me. After the car was painted the shop that did the work,  said that they were pleased with the performance of the way the paint was applied. They took the car, washed it and gave it its paint job. I wet sanded and buffed it out. I have a new project in work right now, a 68 charger and it will get the same treatment as the other two cars that I have completed. I drive my cars and cannot see the point in spending money on a hobby car that you are going to drive and it is going to get road damage to it. This is just my hobby and I have accepted that the paint job will always never continue to be perfect as the car ages. I am on a limited budget and have to navigate my hobby within my budget.

Good luck with your project,
Azmoparboy (Steve)

AKcharger

While Leon's option on paint and body work comes from years of experience and demands respect, I can report that I used (cheap) PPG Omin, now called shop line, on my last '70 in 2002...and here's a photo of if just this month. I think Prep work is often overlooked and just as important as paint selection

JimShine

I cannot comment on the colorcoats, but I use them for all of the lacquer based paints. The textured suede for interior, organosol tailpanel paint, etc. It is consistently great quality.

hemi-hampton

I can go on & on with many Bad Stories on Cheap paint but I won't. Will be a waste of time since no one listens. As I told AKCharger if you going to use cheap paint/base at least put a good quality clear over it. Sure, cheap paint is good for a car that sits in the garage most of the time & barely sees sun light. Or used Car lot jobs, or painting a Pinto or Gremlin. Anybody that wants a cheap paint job I always tell them just go to MAACO. From my almost 40 Years of Auto Painting on a Daily Basis I wouldn't recommend cheap paint on a descent car going to be used alot & be out side alot & baking in the sun alot. Also, everybody has their own opinion, my opinion is I hate cheap paint & others love cheap paint. I'm use to using PPG, DUPONT, BASF, RM. Sikkens & Glasurit good paint but even more expensive. ::)

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 27, 2022, 06:52:09 PM
... As I told AKCharger if you going to use cheap paint/base at least put a good quality clear over it...
Now that you mention it, it was single stage Omni then we put an other gallon of ear over that, perhaps why it lasted?

But I will say if your putting several thousands in paint and body work a few hundredaint gonna kill ya 9

b5blue

I used Kirker Paint on my 70 Charger.  https://www.kirkerautomotive.com/   Made in USA for over 100 years it's held up well for a low dollar single stage paint. The forum was very helpful and hemi-hampton's advice was priceless! (Thanks again!)
  Only stock colors are available but I just went with white anyway so for me it didn't matter. I've resprayed a few touch ups and have more work to redo after years of neglect but my car is nothing fancy, just a driver.

hemi-hampton

Nowadays I spray cheap Limco Single Stage Daily. But that's only because I do low Budget School Bus's, 18 Wheeler Semi's, Grey Hound Bus's ect., ect., Pics below. LEON.