News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New tool for moving motors.

Started by RiverRaider, November 14, 2022, 09:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRaider

I needed to move few of my blocks and engines from one building to another, and also needed a way to move them into position.  This is what I built Saturday afternoon out of 2" x 2" sq. tubing, casters from Menards and a 1000 lbs. 110V winch I got for $12 at a swap meet.  Its 4' X 2' with telescoping legs currently at the tallest position.  It worked better than I would have guessed.   I moved all of these into the building Sunday morning.  I added a hold chain to take stress off the winch and after a couple more trips I moved the control box to the top and tightened up the cords.
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

RiverRaider

one more pic

426HemiChick

Hi RiverRaider,               14 November 2022

Looks good and very useful. Have a question: What is the mechanism used for telescoping the legs?

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Dano 1

That is a really slick solution, RiverRaider. Looks like it would roll way easier than an engine stand and be much more maneuverable with such a small footprint. I also like that it's pretty compact where it could be stored overtop of the engine(s) once they're situated and you could even add a work surface on top to make it double as a mini-bench. Nice work!  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

RiverRaider

426HemiChick
You can't really see them in the pictures but to change height you have to remove two bolts.  One above the cross bar and one below on each leg and slide them in and out.  The main frame is 2"X2" and the lower legs are slightly smaller channel with ¼" flat welded in and eight holes tapped for the bolts.  My first thought was to use scaffolding jacks so adjusting would be easier and I could bolt on the casters.  But that would have been another 100 bucks and once I found the best height I probably would not need to change it.  It is stable crossing grass, gravel and the threshold coming into the building at the height it is now.  Just have to have the caster facing the right way when starting out crossing rough stuff.

Dano 1
Good idea!  I need to put a tray on it to hold the bolts, chain etc.  Also might swap the ends of a retractable extension cord and add that to it.  It rolls better than I would have imagined.

426HemiChick

Quote from: RiverRaider on November 14, 2022, 06:11:32 PM
426HemiChick
You can't really see them in the pictures but to change height you have to remove two bolts.  One above the cross bar and one below on each leg and slide them in and out.  The main frame is 2"X2" and the lower legs are slightly smaller channel with ¼" flat welded in and eight holes tapped for the bolts.  My first thought was to use scaffolding jacks so adjusting would be easier and I could bolt on the casters.  But that would have been another 100 bucks and once I found the best height I probably would not need to change it.  It is stable crossing grass, gravel and the threshold coming into the building at the height it is now.  Just have to have the caster facing the right way when starting out crossing rough stuff.

Dano 1
Good idea!  I need to put a tray on it to hold the bolts, chain etc.  Also might swap the ends of a retractable extension cord and add that to it.  It rolls better than I would have imagined.

Hi RiverRaider,                14 November 2022

Do you have any plans to build and sell your slick engine mobility tool? We have multiple car projects coming up after my (Christine's) medical issue is resolved. We have the 426 Hemi from our 68 RR and our 69 SB 440 Six-Pack plus a 572 inch Hemi which will be used by the RR. Since we have a spare Hemi K member, we plan to have three engines we can easily swap around.

If you don't decide to build and sell them, maybe sell a blue print and parts list and instructions on assembling it. Lots of possibilities to make some money.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Come up with a good name and "Trade Mark" it.

Take Care, and Good Luck

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Bob

70 sublime

Neat toy and does the job very well

Better question  Why so many engines and blocks ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Challenger340

Only wimps wear Bowties !

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RiverRaider

I might make a couple more to see the true cost, because everything on this one except the casters I had on hand.

RiverRaider

Hoarder LOL
I thought I was doing good thinning the herd, that's about 2/3's of them in that picture.
I am a swap meet vendor so motors come and go, the heads and cranks are in the next room.
I used to race stock car in the 80's thru 1999 buying up motors back when they were cheap or even free.
Ten years ago there was three times this many.

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 16, 2022, 07:06:29 AM
Neat toy and does the job very well

Better question  Why so many engines and blocks ??

RiverRaider

Thanks to everyone that liked what I made. 

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

BrianShaughnessy

:2thumbs:   Pretty cool!

Are those pneumatic or hard casters?      Pneumatic stuff from china usually goes flat pretty soon. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

RiverRaider

The ones I used are pneumatic with tubes.  And I have also had leakage on the cheaper tubeless and tube tires before.  When I got these I pulled the tubes out to check for damage.  Also reseated the valve stem cores and run a band of tape around the middle of the rims to avoid tube pinching and powdered them like a dirt track tire.  So far so good.  The cheap ones have there place.  It wouldn't be practical but it would be cool to build one with Hamilton easy turn dually casters

AKcharger