News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front sway bar ideas: 1970 Charger

Started by Kern Dog, December 18, 2022, 03:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Hello there,
For years I have thought about the principles behind the engineering of the hollow versus solid sway bars.
These are not new....I recall some Camaro and Firebirds from the 80s and 90s that had hollow front sway bars. They may have been used before that.
The reasoning for this is reduced weight.
The engineering states that the strength in the torsional resistance is directly related to the outer diameter and that the material near the center has almost no value. Given that, the center can be hollow and the bar can be lighter and still stiff.
Several companies offer hollow front sway bars for our cars. Hotchkis, Helwig, Firm Feel and maybe even a few others.
From what I can gather, with all else being the same, a hollow sway bar needs to be 1/8" larger in diameter than a solid bar to have the same rate.
Years ago, I modified a stock front sway bar from a 1973-1987 Chevy 1 ton 2 wheel drive. I chose this one because it was close to the stock 1970 B body bar and because it measured 1 1/4". Back in 2000, options were limited for sway bars. Buying and modifying the Chevy bar cost less than $75 back then.

Kern Dog

The shape of this modified bar was similar to a stock bar. In the picture below, the Chevy bar is black, an Addco 1 1/8" solid is gold and the small bar is a 3/4" unit from a 73 Duster, a very similar shape.

Kern Dog

I bought a QA1 tubular bar sized 1 1/4". Black is the QA1 below, natural steel color is the Chevy bar.
Check out the difference in weights.....

Kern Dog

Yeah.... 8 lb difference.
The Chevy bar wasn't a perfect fit but when I had regular style sway bar end links with urethane bushings, the slightly narrower bar was okay.

Kern Dog

The old end links looked like so:

Kern Dog

While I had the engine out, I replaced the end links with some like these....

Kern Dog

They are less forgiving for fitment because they are a direct mount....They have no bushings to distort or cushion the sway bar. The upside is that they do swivel due to their ball joint type construction.

Kern Dog

The finish of the QA 1 bar is great, the fitment is great. The car feels as solid as before yet I shaved 8 lbs.
Earlier, I changed from 11.75" Cordoba brakes and swapped in a Dr Diff 13" disc setup. That shaved 14 lbs. The Borgeson steering box dropped 14 lbs. I love it when I can make a performance upgrade that also includes a weight reduction.

kent

Great write up Greg. Breaking down different approaches, different budgets. :2thumbs:
Kent

tan top

clever idea , like the look of the  bar end links  :yesnod:
interesting info thanks for sharing KD  :coolgleamA: :2thumbs: :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pipeliner

Quote from: Kern Dog on December 18, 2022, 03:49:21 AM
They are less forgiving for fitment because they are a direct mount....They have no bushings to distort or cushion the sway bar. The upside is that they do swivel due to their ball joint type construction.
Does that Qa1 have any spring in it at all? Looks straight as board in the pics where it ties in to the LCA.

Kern Dog

Spring in it?
Do you mean does it have any curve?
No. It is as straight as a stock sway bar, It does not have a curve in the center either but it fits and clears.   :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Here is a closer picture.

pipeliner

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 05, 2023, 12:53:00 AM
Spring in it?
Do you mean does it have any curve?
No. It is as straight as a stock sway bar, It does not have a curve in the center either but it fits and clears.   :2thumbs:
I just pulled my factory bar out of my 70 and it has a curve in it right on the end and so does this Hellwig I'm replacing it with. I just figured it was supposed to be there for some reason. Thanks!!!

Kern Dog

I pulled and sold a 70 sway bar from my other Charger. I did not notice any bend at the ends of mine. My stock one for the red car has been gone over 20 years so I don't recall what it looked like. I'd love to see a picture of another one to see what you mean. The bend must be slight for me to miss it.

kent

I have the slight bends Greg on my sway bar off of my original 23k 70 500. No damage anywhere to be seen.
Kent

70 sublime

Quote from: kent on January 05, 2023, 04:28:05 PM
I have the slight bends Greg on my sway bar off of my original 23k 70 500. No damage anywhere to be seen.

Does the bend go down or up ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

kent

Had to go back and check out the pictures. Up. Certainly up.
Kent

Kern Dog

Wow, that is great. I didn't notice that before.
Maybe the bend accommodates for a stock ride height, while the aftermarket bar assumes a lowered stance?

pipeliner

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 05, 2023, 07:34:58 PM
Wow, that is great. I didn't notice that before.
Maybe the bend accommodates for a stock ride height, while the aftermarket bar assumes a lowered stance?
Like Kent said it's up but I figured the bend was for some kind of spring action in the bar itself kind of like rear springs in a car but I don't know. Like I said my Hellwig has it also 🤷‍♂️

Kern Dog

The lower the control arm hangs, the higher the ride height. A bar with a bend on the lever arms would be beneficial if the end link loop needed to be in proper alignment with the stabilizer link.
When the LCAs are closer to the car, the ride height is lower and suspension travel is often shorter. A bar at that point needs no bend.

kent

Exactly. Great job describing Greg it. I was sitting down last night, looking at the pictures. Flapping my hands and arms trying to cipher how the car would sit with and with out the bend. :scratchchin:
Kent

Kern Dog

Back N Black

Quote from: Kern Dog on January 06, 2023, 01:08:34 PM
Thank you, My good Sir..... :2thumbs:

Do you have a rear sway bay on your charger?

Kern Dog

Yes, I have a 3/4" bar from an '83 Imperial. The FMJ cars used a frame mounted bar very similar to the OEM E body bar.