News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil dipstick tube help

Started by 73chgrSE, January 08, 2023, 11:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

The aftermarket tubes, both Doorman and Mr. Gasket, have a diameter that is too large for the hole in the block. I don't now how they can even sell those as fitting a '73 charger. The tube has to be bent and mashed to fit in and around the curve of the motor mount bracket. The dipsticks themselves are so crappy they will actually snap in half with VERY little effort. That is if the weak rivets don't break first.

What the hell people? C'mon man!!! :flame:

What are my options?

OEM on eBay is $$$

b5blue

I ordered no chrome years ago and they sent chrome as a free upgrade as they were out of regular. I had the same issue. Fit a 12 point socket on the tube and tap the wrench down if possible. If you must, file a taper on the edge of the tube. I hope your not doing this on the car.  :scratchchin:

JimShine

20 years ago, I had nothing but problems with aftermarket. I gave up and plunked down the money for OEM as I wasted so much time chasing new. When something like that actually sells for a premium, it is a good sign nothing else fits quite as well. When a part like that is properly reproduced, old simply becomes "used".

Mike DC

QuoteWhen something like that actually sells for a premium, it is a good sign nothing else fits quite as well. When a part like that is properly reproduced, old simply becomes "used".

This. 

You can roughly predict which repro parts are crap based on how much people are still paying for the originals. 

b5blue

https://store.440source.com/Oil-Dipstick-and-Tube-Plain-Steel-New/productinfo/121-1009/   Call these guys and ask if it is a good part? This ain't rocket science. The poster wants help not opinions in theory.

kent

The price is certainly right if he's running a big block.
Kent

J-440

Bought a Lokar setup with the radius end, drilled and tapped the head then bought an aftermarket dipstick, cut the head off and screwed it into the top of the Lokar end and painted it.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede