News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fill 'er up.

Started by doctor4766, January 15, 2023, 06:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

I have put fuel into my '70 Charger a few times since acquiring it early last year.
On each occasion there has been fuel blowing back out of the filler neck and onto me and the car.
The solution is to pump the fuel in a lot slower than you usually would but, this never happened in my '69 Charger, not once in the 16 years that I owned it.
Is there any logical reason that this could happen?
I use the same local service stations as I have always used and it seems to happen at them all with this car.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

I thought all Chargers did this. My old 68 did and my 69 does. I need to put an insert in the tube so the pump can shut off when it senses an increase in pressure.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

doctor4766

Right. I would be interested in exactly what that insert is, Dino.
My old car would click off probably more than I liked, but getting splattered with fuel is more annoying.
Gotta love a '69

Mopar Nut

Mine did the same until I cleaned out the vent tube.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

70 sublime

I think this will happen at all gas stations now
It is like the pumps are pumping the gas into the tank faster than ever and our design can not handle it because how long the pipe is going into the tank
If you have ever had the filler neck out you will see it is split with a divider like 1/4 to 3/4 down the neck
The 1/4 is to let the air leak back up the pipe as the fuel is going down into the tank

I know my little vent hose is not plugged up because if I ever park my car in my driveway on the slope part the back end of my car is higher than the front
and if I have 3/4 tank of gas the air get trapped at the back of the tank but the filler neck is under fluid and the air expands because of the heat and forces gas up the filler neck and out the tube then out the frame rail of the car  :P
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Mike DC

I had a car that was trouble to fill up for years.  Eventually I took it apart and found an ancient metal bottle cap jammed into the filler tube. 

Kern Dog

Every road trip that I have taken, I fill the car up and I have to slow down the flow rate of the gas nozzle as I'm getting close to full. It isn't ideal but I suspect that it was just how they were.

4cruzin

Happens to me as well . . just pump slower.  Now you certainly have to park close to the pump if you fill behind the license plate . . .  :eek2:
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .