News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANOTHER BRAKE PROBLEM!!! Please advise!

Started by NYCMille, August 15, 2005, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYCMille

Hi Guys -

We recently installed a set of 4 wheel disc brakes on my 68' Charger. The brake system we used was from BAER Racing. We've run into a couple of snags and would really like some input on solving my problem. I'll give some background first. My car was originally equipped with power 4 wheel drum brakes. The previous owner then converted the car to 11" front disc brakes and kept the rear drums. He used a A-body set-up and kept the original Power Booster but upgraded the master cylinder to one that came off of a late 70's Cordoba.

Fast forward - we installed the BAER brakes complete with the new BAER master cylinder and proportioning valve. After doing so we realized that power booster was bad since the pedal was going right to the floor and holding no vacuum - the car would stop, just not very well. SO - we put a new remanufactured booster on, check the vacuum to make sure we are making enough and everything checks out ok. So we hook everything back up.

I go once around the block and now the pedal is rock hard and I actually have to stand on the brake pedal to get the car to stop. We go over everything in brake system - all lines have been properly bled and everything looks ok. NOW - there is the original proportioning valve on the car for the power drum brakes that originally came with the car - should I take this off and just use the BAER unit and run straight lines?

Any help on diagnosing this would be EXTREMELY helpful.

thanks - Mike

Chryco Psycho

that is where I would start Baer should have their system sorted out so try their prop valve   unless the booster is not working again ?

Charger_Fan

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 16, 2005, 01:43:38 AM
that is where I would start Baer should have their system sorted out so try there prop valve   unlesss the booster is not owrking again ?
:iagree: Baer should have the answers regarding the prop valve.

The only other possible cause I can think of would be a faulty vacuum one-way valve...that little elbow piece that connects the vaccuum line to the booster. Sometimes those go bad & your booster won't get much vaccuum.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)