News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

O.K. Aero guys, I need your help Found another '69 500 S.E.

Started by Charger Aficionado, June 08, 2006, 11:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

O. K.   O.K.  here's the deal...  I ran into this guy who has a '69 500 S.E. on eBay of all places...  He says he legitimatley has a C500.  He is selling his ORIGINAL SEATS to put race seats in (don't bash him I'm sure he doesn't understand the value of keeping original)...  Now I'm trying to convince him NOT to sell his build sheet with seats...  I wish he'd look for others in the car also (in usual places behind rear seat etc)...

So my QUESTION To you guys is:  HOW MUCH VALUE WILL HE LOOSE ON HIS CAR WITHOUT ORIGINAL BUILD SHEET?  1K?  If he didn't at least copy it he would be unable to restore car to original specs someday.  And that is -10k???

I HOPE he considers preserving the car as much as possible... 

Here is the email he sent me:
I know, Can you send a pic of yours? Mine does not have a/c. Do your seats have material on them? There is a difference between early 69 500se and late 69 se500. Mine is being restored as we speak. I know its criminal to not put these seats in it, but I have custom charger seats to put in, they retail for $2000. I bought this car 13 years ago, not knowing what it was for 4500.00. Good deal after the Dukes of Hazzard movie came out! I dont have vin on me but I will e-mail it to you. Do you have yours?

**Inactive Link Removed**

PocketThunder

Holy Crap!  :o  I need em for my car, and i'm missing my build sheet.... :scratchchin:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

69_500

It will hurt his value greatly if he lets the buildsheet go. If he doesn't want to keep the buildsheet, or if it doesn't belong to the car he has, tell him to send it my way and I"ll try my best to reunite it with the rightful owner now.

Definately give him my email address to at least add the car to the list of known VIN's i have. That would make 1 more SE.

Ghoste

As much as I hate to encourage anyone auctioning a car on e-bay, this is definitely a case where the guy needs to be quickly educated as to just what he has.  Boogering it up at this point is worse than lowering the value of the car, there is a potential to lose an important (to us) piece of history if he just trashes a broadcast sheet to install "cool" seats.

69_500

Ask him if he would rather just trade the 500 SE for a base charger, or even a Charger R/T. I know where a 69 that fits both of those that I could pick up realitively cheap to swap for a 500.

69_500

He really should be told how the buildsheet belongs to the car, not the seats. If the buildsheet is for another 500 then he should try to get it someone who could reunite it with an owner. I'd suggest DSAC, Winged Warriors, Dave Patik, or myself.

694spdRT

I never understood why selling off original parts to a rare car of any kind is ever done. If the money made from the sale is the difference between getting the car done now or waiting a little while, then wait.

If nothing else stress to the guy that the buildsheet is a very important peice of information that he should keep in the event he has to sell the Charger as original documentation is money in the bank.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

tan top

i don't know if i missed this bit ,but does the broadcast he found actually match his vin
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

69_500

Did you ever hear any more information from him ChargerAficianado?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 69_500 on June 08, 2006, 06:21:04 PM
He really should be told how the buildsheet belongs to the car, not the seats. If the buildsheet is for another 500 then he should try to get it someone who could reunite it with an owner. I'd suggest DSAC, Winged Warriors, Dave Patik, or myself.

:wave:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69_500

Or even mail the buildsheet to Chris. Thats a good idea too.

2fast4u

Did they truely have cloth inserts on charger seats back in '69?   That is the very first seat that I've seen with a cloth insert claiming to be original.

DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

Big Kahuna

Mine has cloth inserts -- but you'll have to go to the eBay forum to see them, as threads about my Wing Car threads with an ebay link appear to be the only ones moved out of the Aero forum and into Oblivia.
http://www.moparwiki.com - MoparWiki Project
http://aeromopars.ning.com/ - Aero Mopar Photos & Videos
http://mopardragracing.ning.com/ - Mopar Drag Racing Photo, Videos, Events

Ghoste

It's rare, but they are out there, I've seen a couple.

69_500

Hey Ghoste do you like Cloth insert seats only due to the First Charger 500 having them? Just curious. I love the cloth insert seats.

Ghoste

I couldn't say if I like them or hate them to be truthful.  I'd have to own one to decide.  They are definitely an unusual look when you're used to seeing all vinyl or the SE style aren't they?
Oddly enough, with that 1st 500, the only things that excite me about it are the color, the drivetrain, the 500 part and the pedigree.  The other options aren't that big a deal to me.  I'm sure I'd change my mind if I were ever in a position to buy it.

69_500

So you want an R4 red, black interior, white tail stripe 500 then. Doesn't matter about the power window's, or the radio? Just the HEMI and the 4 speed.

Ghoste

Well, when you put it like that.

I'm just goofy, aren't I?

69_500

Nah I'd say its fair to guess that a few others would like to have a HEMI and a 4 speed too. Me I just want another C500 or a Daytona. If its another C500 though it has to be either a HEMI or a 4 speed. Preferably both, but odds are its not going to happen. I'd take a HEMI AT C500 though, if it was lets say R4 red, cloth insert seats, power windows and white tail stripe car. :)

Ghoste

Incidentally, while we're hijacking here, I thought I'd mention that I was talking to my father today and it turns out he's met Mr. Myers outside of the car hobby.  I grew up on an apple orchard and the packing house where we sold our produce happens to be the property where the 500 and his other cars are stored.  The owner of the packing house, a long time friend of my father, is a brother in law to Rick. 
Small world.

69_500

Any idea on how Mr. Meyers wound up having enough money to get the cars he has today? From what I've been told he got a heck of a deal on the 500 from the previous owner. More than I paid for my 500 but way under todays values.

Ghoste

He has a variety of businesses I believe.  I am sure he owns a pretty large machine shop in Michigan and dad mentioned some other income today (farms??) but I've already forgotten what it was.

69_500

He does have quite a collection of cars. I have only seen 4 of his cars personally. All of them gorgeous cars.

Ghoste

He sold a bunch of them at the Amelia Island auction and apparently wanted to begin collecting survivor Hemi's so I'm not sure what's there now.  The Superbird is still there but I believe the 70 Charger RT is gone as well as the Hemi Challenger and the Mr. Norm Dart. 
Now that I have this very tenuous and reaching for straws family connection, I'm going to try and get my skinny butt invited to his storage barn sometime.  It's a long shot but it's a better connection than the other one as I believe I mentioned to you  ;).
Maybe I can get some info on the Superbird.

69_500

The Superbird is a Yellow six pack car. I believe with under 25,000 miles. Unless its a different one than I've seen.

He also had a great looking 69 1/2 Bee too.