News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it worth it to change gears for a trip?

Started by AKcharger, August 15, 2005, 05:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

I drove 5 hours on my 3.91s. I might be a bit more tolerant than you though :)
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

Ghoste

I'm pretty tolerant or they'd have already been out.  I have a 3:55 set and a 3:23 set laying around.  If I were doing anything longer though, I'd swap them out just for the fuel difference and engine wear.

AKcharger

Quote from: chargermick on August 16, 2005, 08:06:28 PM
How hard   is it to swap gears? You guys make it sound pretty simple, I assumed it was something only a pro or a guy like Chrycho could do.

Mick it really is easy with the 8 3/4:
1) 5 nuts per axle...pull axles
2) disconnect drive shaft
3) remove 10 bolts holding carrier or as RD called it the "hogshead"..also called punkin, chunk and thing
4) Remove carrier and pop in the new 2.76 geared carrier
5) install axles and drive shaft..oh new fluid too
6) Replace speedo pinion

In all about 1 1/2 hours work. If you have a standard rear end with the cover on the back...don't even think about it...have to do all the backlash and shim stuff

chargermick

That's a lot easier than I thought it would be. Thanks you guys, I really learn a lot here.

CB

1968 Dodge Coronet 500

bull

I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out why you want me to give a rat's a$$ about chickens.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

1968 Charger B5

if u had bigger gears than that like 391s i would say go for the swap, 323s are still highway gears as far as im concerned wouldnt bother, though 8 3/4 gear swaps take no time at all i switched my charger chuck in like an hour not even.
1968 Dodge Charger R/T
1970 Dodge Charger
1974 Plymouth Roadrunner
1998 Jeep Cherokee SRT

AKcharger

Swap is complete. A noticeble diffrence in RPM at highway speeds...no more getting passed by mini-vans on the interstate!

ChgrSteve67

Cool!

Now I would check the speedo to see how far off it is.

I have two of those little radios you see people at parks walking around with; I then get my wife in her daily driver to help document speeds.

I'm jealous that you are going on a road trip, my Charger is still torn apart. I get my motor back this week! (I hope)

AKcharger

I go the correct speed pinion from the dealer, a 30 tooth for my 14 inch 215R60 tires...so it should be spot on

Quote from: bull on August 22, 2005, 08:45:45 AM
I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out why you want me to give a rat's a$$ about chickens.
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Bull the story on the Chickens is it's just a ridiculous web site I found during the "Combined Federal Campaign" I was bored at work and looked for the stupidest non-profit groups. There were a bunch of Waco's out there trying to get people's money but this one had a cool banner!

AKcharger

Drove 3200 miles to Kansas and back for the Dodge charger meet and got between 15-16 MPG, which is about a 1 MPG savings. Biggest benifit was car was much more "comfortable" at 70-75. I calculate I saved 14 gal of gas and $38 for trip.

Ghoste

Interesting.  I wonder how many people have calculated fuel saving after buying the Keisler swap?
Thanks for the update, must have been a great cruise.