News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight Doors 68-69 Charger - Cleaning Bugs

Started by garywi, August 15, 2005, 05:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garywi

Removing Bugs from Grill.   If you have restored the grill on your Charger, have you figured out the best way to remove bugs/flies from the headlight doors?   I am one of those persons that does not wash the car with a hose, but constantly is detailing it by hand.

Thanks!

Charger4404spd

I spray on a soap/water mix, let it soak a bit and then I use q-tips to get into all the little corners.

rebby

Quote from: Charger4404spd on August 15, 2005, 07:21:36 PM
I spray on a soap/water mix, let it soak a bit and then I use q-tips to get into all the little corners.
Ditto. I'm still working on mine. It's a tedious job. The headlight doors are definatly the worst part of the entire process. That's about all that I have left with my clean up before I can start with light sanding.

http://charger.rebby.com/exterior.php?subpage=grille#20050813
Curt Rebelein, Junior
1969 Charger R/T SE (500 Stroker/833/D60 w/XP VIN)
1969 Charger (440/727/8.75, GL Project)

Shakey

My fingers are still bleeding from all of the sanding.  Yes, in between the ribs on the headlight doors was the worst part.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I use a "3-in-1" detailing brush that has different firmnesses of bristles to remove the bugs/guts after they are dried
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Jon Smith

Mines still got every bug its ever hit on it :lol:
got some original 1969 bugs :icon_smile_cool:

MichaelRW

I use 3M's glass cleaner. It comes in an aerosol spray can and it dispenses as a foam so it just doesn't run right off like Windex would. Let it soak a little while and the bugs come off quite easy. Stubborn ones may have to be sprayed a second time.
A Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF.........

Shakey

You can also use a toothbrush to scrub them buggers off!

SpudRacer

Chris,

WHY ARE YOU SELLING YOUR CHARGER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tom
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

69 OUR/TEA

HELLO,I FINISHED MY GRILL A FEW MONTHS AGO.I WENT THRU THE SAME TROUBLE AND ON A HUNCH(ON A SPARE HEADLIGHT DOOR)TESTED A METHOD WHICH WORKED EXCELLENT!!! I PUT THEM IN MY GLASS BEAD CABINET,AND LOWERED THE PRESSURE TO 20 LBS. AND ACTUALLY GLASS BEADED THEM.GLASS BEAD ONLY!!!!!!!!!LOW PRESSURE ONLY!!!!!!!!STAY BACK A LITTLE ALSO!!!!!TRY ONE OF YOUR SPARES AND YOU WILL BE SUPRIZED!!!!ON ANOTHER NOTE AS TO WHICH COLORS ARE CORRECT FOR THE GRILL,I HAVE BEEN READING TO USE A VENDORS GRILL SILVER OR WHEEL ARGENT FOR THE GREY AREA.I HAD NOT ONE BUT TWO N.O.S. CENTER GRILLS,I DON'T WANT TO OPEN UP A CAN OF WORMS BY SAYING,BUT I TRIED THE GRILL SILVER,AND IT WAS WAY TOO LIGHT.MOST PEOPLE JUST USE AND WOULD BE DONE,WHERE AS I AM GOING FOR CONCOURSE CORRECT ON THE GRILL.THIS AREA OF THE GRILL IS NOT SILVER BUT MORE LIKE AN ASH GREY METALLIC.I HAVE  A GOOD FRIEND WHO WORKS FOR PPG PAINT INDUSTRIES, PROFFIT(PICTURE SCAN)MY N.O.S. GRILLS TO COME UP WITH A FORMULA.IT WAS AFTER ABOUT FIVE DIFFERENT MIXES THAT I GOT IT RIGHT ON,(WHEN TEST SPRAYED AND COMPARED NEXT TO THE N.O.S. GRILLS).I STILL HAD TO PAINT EVERYTHING AS THERE WAS SOME SCUFF MARKS ON THE CENTER SECTION I USED.FOR THE BLACK,I ALSO USED SEMS TRIM BLACK AS IT BEST RESEMBLES NEW ,NATURAL BLACK PLASTIC.THIS AREA IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE FLAT BLACK.I WILL TRY TO POST SOME PICS OF THE FINISHED GRILL SOON.