News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Status of the Ernie Derr Charger??

Started by Ghoste, June 25, 2006, 11:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

The thread on Cam Neely's Daytona and the subsequent discussion on Big Willie's car and how much to restore a former race reminded me about Ernie Derr's 69 Charger stock car that was making the rounds in the shows some years ago.  I know it wasn't a wing car but since the topic is related more closely to the discussion going on in this forum, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows where this car is at in it's revival?
I recall that one of Ernie's conditions of sale was that the car had to be restored to it's condition before racing.  I always thought it should have been maintained as it was, showing the marks of battle and scars of victory.

tan top

yeah i remember that ( Ghoste ) the guy who bought said he would show it , in as last raced / found condition , for a year . then as per Ernie's instructions it would get a complete restoration to is as raced condition. that was a good few years a go now .it has not been shown in any  magazine features compleated.  i also think it should of been left un restored.
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

3--Daytona

I can help you with this one---------I,personaly saw Erine's No,,! Charger on 6/17/06------It has not been restored, and never r should be restored,,,in my opinion.   It still runs,,,sounds fantisic,,,,it sound's like it is saying,,,,,, TAKE ME TO THE DIRT,,,, Had a good visit with Ernie,,, a grea guy, and  the best driver,, in stock car,, to ever run dirt.
                                                                        3--daytona

69_500

Glad to see you chime in here Jim.

How was the DSAC show?

Ghoste

So, does that mean Ernie has relented on the restoration thing or that the guy who bought it from him just hasn't gotten around to it yet?

3--Daytona

Ghoste;;;;;;;Cant answer your question on restoring the No,1 Charger, I doubt if it is ever restored Both Ernie and the owner were there and seemed very friendly.I would asume there is no rift over restoration.,,,,,,

69-500,,,,,,,,Danny Boy,,,good to see your father again,we only told a few lies!!!!!!1  Meet was good  Geo Wallis  was fantisic That man has a computer for a mind.
                                                                                                  3-daytona.

THE CHARGER PUNK

Can sum1 post a picture of this car as i do not know what the hell anyones talking about-MATT

69_500

I am in the same boat as the owner of the Big Willie car, there are plenty of show winning restoration Daytona's and such out there. when one comes along that has a race heritage and is still in that condition, then it should be left like that for all of the public to enjoy it. That way there can be no argument over the cars pedigree in the future.

Glad to hear that you liked the show there Jim. Maybe later on this summer I'll swing down to your neck of the woods for a weekend and check out your other Daytona. I still haven't seen all 3 of them.

THE CHARGER PUNK

oh wait was the ernie der car that baby blue car with the yellow wing and black top?-MATT

Ghoste

Not a wing car.  I'll try and get a pic scanned and post it for you.  Ernie drove on the USAC stock car circuit in the midwest and as the story goes, was the winningest stock car driver of all time if you were to compare all sanctioning bodies together.  He had a Charger that was last used primarily as a dirt track car and it was making appearances about 8 years ago in it's "as last raced" condition.

3--Daytona

About  Ernie;;;;A small correction,,,He drove USAC once in awhile,,, BUT was at least a 10 time champion of the IMCA circut.  He was kind of a unsung hero of the Chrysler racing camp. In early years he drove some brand X cars, he is beast known for his Charger's, 66 to 70. He is well known in midwest as the master of dirt with the no. 1 Charger. Altough he has been retired for several years, he will tell you today, there is nothing like the power of the race Hemi. He was allmost unbeatable on dirt.               3-daytona

hemigeno

Found a picture...

3--Daytona

Hemigeno::::::::;;; Glad you found a pic,,,,i have a couple of me & Ernie, taken couple weeks ago, but doesent show much of the car.              3-daytona

Ghoste

69_500

If you get a chance to post those pics feel free there Jim.

Always up for more pics.

Aero426

As Jim mentioned it was at the Keokuk Racers reunion a couple weeks ago.  I don't think there are any plans for a restoration.   It shows well enough as it is.

Ghoste

I'm glad to hear they decided to leave it as is.