News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trunk Pan Paint

Started by MoparUSAF, August 16, 2005, 03:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoparUSAF

On a 1969 Dodge Charger, was the underside of the trunk pans painted the same color as the body of the car, painted a different color or was it treated with a different material.
I ask, as I am about to embark on the long overdue metal replacement.
Thanks
Mike

Just 6T9 CHGR

Originally under the trunk would have gotten the same primer/color overspray as the rest of the under body.

Depending if you are doing a "correct" restoration or an "overrestored" resto will determine how much body color would go on the underside of the trunk panel.

Correct-----primer with a bit of body color overspray

Over Restored------cleaner or as clean as the top of the car!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Drop Top

:iagree: I just want to add. If your looking for originality. There was an undercoating on the inside of the 1/4s. Then they painted over that. This helped to keep the noise levels down.

MoparUSAF

Thanks....I'll be honest I think I'm going with the "over-restored" look.
No one will ever see the underside of the pans once the gas tank is back in place but....waht the hell!
Pic's will be posted soon!
Regards,
Mike

Drop Top

Sorry I miss read your question. I was thinking you where talking about the inside of the trunk area.

If your car had undercoating on it. It would have been put on after the tank was put it and it would be over the paint over the paint.

MoparUSAF

Forgive my ignorance but the undercoating is that rough material that is all over the inside of the trunk?

I looked yesterday and the underside of the old trunk pans is smooth with a hint of paint covering it

Drop Top

Yes. It should be only on the 1/4s.

MoparUSAF

694spdRT

Drop Top

I remember talking about this on the old site. Both my '68 and '69 had the original paint in the trunks and the sound deadener on the inner quarters was not painted.  It was applied over the paint. Dad's '68 GTX is the same way.

Maybe it is a difference from one factory to another. ???

My brother in laws '70 Charger does have the paint over the sound deadener.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Just 6T9 CHGR

Its quite possible I have seen them "look" both ways.

When I say look I think the sides of the trunk got barely fogged with color and over time the undercoating trapps dirt and makes it look like the stuff was applied over the paint.  either that or the paint wouldnt stick too well to the stuff and wear off after a while.....

:twocents:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

B Bodyman

the "undersides" of the trunk pans,between the framerails, were rarely painted,or even primed,where the gas tank was installed,,that's why they rusted very quickly,they just laid a piece of fiber board between the pan and top of the tank,I have rarely seen one painted properly,or like they made any effort to paint under the tank,I had a 12 acre mopar salvage yard for 28 years,and I've dismantled a few,but rarely or never on cars with a good trunk pan was it painted underside,where the fuel tank was mounted,,,,here's a pic of a recent 68 charger that came in from california for resto,,it's tank removed,as it was being disassembled,,this is how most B body's I ever saw looked,(if they weren't rusted out),same as a 68 GTX which came in from SF,Cal.,a few weeks ago. bare steel....

69hemi

I went for the factory original look with the overspray dusting onto the primer on the bottom of the car.  Here are the results.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram

73rallye440magnum

69 hemi, everything about your car is stunning, i love it.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

MoparUSAF

Dude,
I've been looking all over for pictures of the undercarraige of the car with the fuel tank out !!!!!!
Do you have any more?
And what are the odds.......Green.....the same color as mine!!!!!

Thanks 69Hemi....

SpudRacer

Changing the topic slightly, I've started a resto of the trunk earlier this week after finding excessive surface rust on the trunk floor once the mat was pulled.  I started with a grinding disc to get at the flat portions of the pan, going down just deep enough to get to the metal and remove some of the minor pitting.  Then I used a 6" fine wire wheel to get into the grooves in the pan.  I should be finishing up tomorrow.

I plan to use Eastwood's Silver Rust Encapsulator to spray the floor for now which will still have scattered spots of rust in the deeper pits, and mask off the 1/4s, rear seat pad, gas filler tube, trunk lid, and taillight housings.  I expect this to prevent recurrance and spread of any more metal cancer in the future.  Then once I get a few areas on the body panels touched up with new paint, I'll have them respray the trunk over the rust encapsulator.

How does this sound to anyone.  Is this a good plan?  Or should I continue grinding until I get every spot of rust out and use a self-etching primer?  My fear with that is some of the pits are moderately deep and may require removing excessive metal weakening the pan.  For now, I perfer to settle for "pits and no rust" until I decide to do a body off restoration in the distant future at which time I'll replace the whole pan.

I appreciate any suggestions...

Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' R/T SE Turquoise
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

MoparUSAF

You're car is amazing!
Fantastic color!

Drop Top

SpudRacer;
Your on the right track. I've been restoring these cars a long time.  Before these cars got so popular I did just as you are planing to do, with a few exceptions to materials. Because some of the materials that is available now wasn't available then. Anyway you'll be fine as long as you fix how the moisture got in the trunk in the first place.

SpudRacer

Thanks so much for responding DropTop.  I was hoping SOMEBODY would answer!  Glad to know I'm on the right track.  I was going to finish the trunk yesterday, but waited until I got a response, so I'll finish sanding and spray the trunk tonight.

As for the water, the trunk seal was installed in the water channel (!) when I got the car, last owner was clueless.  I replaced the trunk seal and also resealed the screws for the gas cap.  I haven't reclecked yet to see if it is properly sealed, but will next time I get caught in the rain at a car show or on the road.  I try NOT to drive if it might rain.
Tom
Bryson City, NC

SpudRacer

I finally finished sanding the trunk I then resprayed the trunk with Eastwood's Silver Rust Encapsulator.  Once I get the chance, I'll have the body color sprayed over it.  At least now I can sleep nights knowing that trunk rust has been put at bay.
Tom
Bryson City, NC

SpudRacer

More
Tom
Bryson City, NC

SpudRacer

Last one...
Tom
Bryson City, NC