News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**UPDATE** "Fraudulent" Advertisement for a Daytona is REAL

Started by hemigeno, June 24, 2006, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

Well, not every scammer is trying to sell a HemiCuda for $10k.  Here is a listing that was posted over on the DSAC forum @ Moparstyle.com.

Scam Listing

The asking price of $210,000 is (sadly) not what makes this an obvious scam.  The thing that seals it for me is that the car in the pictures is owned by John A. from New York, but the ad says the car is located in and for sale from Denmark.  I doubt the car has been anywhere near Denmark, and certainly isn't there now.

Anyway, I sent Cars-On-Line an email telling them about the auction.  Let's see what their reaction is...

**Just to be clear - the car is VERY legit, but this particular sale/listing is not**

Chris G.

Geez, these scammers are everywhere.  :rotz: They all need to die a slow death.

John is a member here, and would probably cringe just seeing pics of chrome valve covers attached to his car.  :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

:iagree: :haha:

His is a 4 speed as well..... bastards!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

THE CHARGER PUNK

that car was in an issue of mopar muscle in like 2000, yeah it is a 4-speed wuta dumbass, he should do his h/w b4 he goes tryin 2 scam, wutta bitch-MATT

WilliesDaytona

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 24, 2006, 09:29:44 PM

It may be a Scam but if the car you are talking about is a 4 spd, why does the picture of the chassis on this Daytona have an automatic as stated in the ad ? 

THE CHARGER PUNK

that car is a 4-spd car alot of people know that car as it was featured in a mopar mag in 2000, it also may be another f6 tona -MATT

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: WilliesDaytona on June 25, 2006, 03:30:30 AM

It may be a Scam but if the car you are talking about is a 4 spd, why does the picture of the chassis on this Daytona have an automatic as stated in the ad ?

Because thats not his chassis......they only used the main pic of John's car......the other pics are from some other POS
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

johntpr

Thnaks guys....my car is still here in NY and not for sale in Denmark for sure!  The top picture is mine, but the engine and chassis pictures are from who knows what.   These scammers are out of control.

69_500

They are getting more and more widespread too. Used to be just on Ebay, now they are starting to pop up everywhere.

John, you cars still looks awsome. I drooled over it at Englishtown last year.

Ghoste

And as the values go up, we're going to have to get used to it more and more.  If they only get classic car neophyte to bite, it's worth it.
At least they are only stealing auto images and not loading up the whole car to try and sell.

WilliesDaytona

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on June 25, 2006, 05:32:03 AM
Quote from: WilliesDaytona on June 25, 2006, 03:30:30 AM

Because thats not his chassis......they only used the main pic of John's car......the other pics are from some other POS
So are the Trunk Pictures and Under hood pictures,  Johns or the POS Daytona they may have ? I not argueing the fact it may be a Scam I am just asking..

daytonalo

DON'T WE HAVE ANYBODY ON THIS SITE WHO LIVES NEAR THIS SCAMMER JERKOFF . THIS GUY NEEDS HIS ASS KICKED , JERSEY STYLE !!!!

Chris G.

Quote from: WilliesDaytona on June 25, 2006, 11:45:15 AM
So are the Trunk Pictures and Under hood pictures,  Johns or the POS Daytona they may have ? I not argueing the fact it may be a Scam I am just asking..

Look 2 posts above yours.  :icon_smile_wink:

hemi68charger

Thanks Geno... I have a friend who's friend was going to think abou that car........ Thought it looked familiar....... I was right when I told him I knew people with that color car, little did I know........... I'll be on the phone now calling him................

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

nascarxx29

I have the pictures of that green daytona in Sweden suppose to be a known former wing car club owner car Carl Douglas daytona .From the guy who owned it in Sweden sent me pictures and serial number.These are the pictures I was emailed.It seems the scammers need to borrow pictures from other websites.To post fraud car ads

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemigeno

Cars-On-Line sent me the following note back:

Quote from: cars@carsonline.net
Thank you for the tip, we will investigate and pull the ad off. This was a very unsual scammer, I guess they are getting more bold and coming from different countries now!

Thank you,

Carsonline.com

My guess is that these guys (scammers) finally wizened up and stopped putting a ridiculously low price on a very valuable car.  I guess since it's "the norm" for a hefty deposit to be sent on a high-dollar car, that's what they're gunning for - just the deposit money.  Throw enough detail out there to make people think it's a legit car, and then troll for a sucker willing to send the deposit.

Anyway, I was glad that the on-line service replied as they did.

johntpr

Thanks Geno , and congrats on recent magazine article !

John

hemigeno

John,

Glad to help out!  It's a shame that people even try stunts like that.

Geno

P.S.  I don't think the truck's MCG article will cause any scam advertisements to pop up  :P    Thanks, though!!

69_500

Darn it there goes my idea to try to sell Gene's truck on ebay using the pictures from MCG.  :icon_smile_evil:

Glad that they say they are going to pull the advertisement. Just wondering but does anyone think its possibly another Daytona for sale, but they just used 1 of John's pictures? The other pictures are of a Daytona, just not John's.

Ghoste

I'm more inclined to think they used more than one car in the hopes of being able to throw off the wing car freaks.

DanishDude

Quote from: nascarxx29 on June 25, 2006, 03:48:58 PM
I have the pictures of that green daytona in Sweden suppose to be a known former wing car club owner car Carl Douglas daytona .From the guy who owned it in Sweden sent me pictures and serial number.These are the pictures I was emailed.

Now just to make the confusion even worse, then that looks very much like a Danish test license plate to my eyes.  ???

Or maybe the Swedish ones are similar to ours. (Doubt it.)  :icon_smile_big:

Frank.
Dream car: '68 Charger. Project status: Currently charging Charger cash capacitor.

69_500

Well then, any other ideas then?

Your probably right about them using photo's from several different green Daytona's to throw the freaks like us off. Didn't work completely though did it? :)

Ghoste

Might have made us worse for picking it apart.  It's a half baked theory though.  Do scammers put THAT much thought into it?

hemigeno

Well, my earlier thoughts were that in the event this was a real car for sale, wouldn't it be cause for great alarm that the seller was using pictures of another car to advertise their own?  That's one reason why I'd be leery of this seller even if it were proven that they had a particular car.

hemigeno

There have been a few more developments in the story of the Denmark Daytona.  When Cars-On-Line investigated, the seller is representing that he does have a Daytona for sale.  According to the seller, the picture of John A.'s car was inadvertently used.   ::)  Like I said, the fact that someone else's picture was used does still raise a number of questions in my mind.  Stranger things have happened though, and I've certainly made bigger goofs in my lifetime.

Anyway, here is the text of the last email I received from Cars-On-Line:

Quote from: cars@carsonline.net
Dear Gene,

We've been in contact with the seller from Denmark who placed this ad (Jason Watt). According to Jason this ad is legitimate. A strange thing happened however, It turns out that the person from Denmark had placed the ad for a friend of his who "used" the pictures from New York because they looked exactly like his car (guess he had trouble getting photos). He has sincerely apologized for using the photos and had no idea that anyone would notice! He has provided us with real pictures of the vehicle including build sheet photo. Sorry for any confusion, and we thank you for viewing our website!

--

This is what Jason wrote us:

Hi,
Here is a picture of the Daytona that I took myself, so this is indeed the right car.
Its not the greatest picture, and when I saw the "fake" picture on the CD rom the owner send me, I thought that it was a picture of his car taken in the past - and I never thought that this was not the same car...

Please send me the info on the person who informed you, so I can try to resolve the mess.

Thanks
Jason watt

--

We've observed his response to interested parties in his vehicle and they do not follow any of the "scammer" patterns of emails, we believe he's a true legitimate seller.

He has also encouraged you to contact him by email at his personal email address at: [deleted] He was wondering if possible and if you so desire, would you please let the people in the forums you visit know this ad is indeed legitimate.

Thank you for being a vigilant observer and friend to Cars On Line!

Thank you,

Carsonline.com

I think I'll try and get some more information from this guy about the car, if for no other reason than for the various clubs' and registries' purposes (yes Chris, I'll ask him to register with you!!).

Hopefully he understands why we would question the legitimacy of an advertisement with someone else's picture(s).

Gene