News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How sad-my bare bones 69 R/T is rough -how rough take a look

Started by mopars4life, June 25, 2006, 07:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopars4life

Some may think I am crazy for saving it-but it's a stripe delete, non vinyl top, non hood signal car-buckets with console (originally), not much else.  I got it from a guy who deals with lots of mopars.  The whole back end is gone in it-apparently a long time ago the owner died (had a bunch of mopars) and his sons (I would knock them silly if I found them) raped it for parts. The door handles were ripped off, the core support bent up-looks as if they lifted the car with it.  The car was mostly stripped when I got it, since it sat so long with some of the windows open the floors are gone as well.  The pictures make it look nicer than it is!
I just thought I'd share with everyone on the board-see if they all thought I was crazy too.  The only redeeming factor-the front clip (inner fenders, cowl and frame were solid).  It was the only R/T I could ever afford!  It's 3rd on my list of mopars waiting to get a new lease on life!

Shakey

I've seen worse!

Now go get your Father and get started on the restoration project!

Blown70

Well Have seen worse get fixed before.  I know it seems like a lot now just dive in you will be happy in the end. 

Tom

Drop Top

Piece-A-Cake!!  ;)  Dig in and ask alot of questions as you go. Theres alot of good knollageable people on this board. Have fun!

Wakko

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

tan top

rotted floor - trunk pan  -  quarters  rear valance allways looks worse than  they actually  are , once the old is cut out , every thing is cleaned  up you will be surprised how easily it goes togeather, just time consuming to get a real good  factory looking finish thats all .  would be intrested to see more pictures as you progress :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

mopars4life

I should have picked the worse pics-needs outer and inner wheel wells, outer rockers-the pass. side quarter was replaced at sime time-due to rust (I found no damage)-seamed at the sail panel where and it is starting to rust through there.  I need the entire floors from the firewall to the trunk area and the package tray and bracing underneath. 

The paint isn't the original color-was an f8 car same color as the 69hemi.com-I drooled over that one.

As for get my father-I don't need him, I've worked at a body shop, dealership and trans shop!  It will just have to wait, but it will not be anytime soon-when I got it, it had no rear in it-it was on blocks.

original72

when i first saw the title i thought you got it from HLPAG... but sounds like with your experience and as time and money permit you will have a good car

mopars4life

If anyone doesn't know about that guy I feel bad for them- I know that no one I know on this board or Moparts have anything nice to say about him - and his feedback on ebay is private-imagine that! 

toqwik

I'd much rather buy a car like that than one that has been "restored.  $1000 worth of sheetmetal and you will have a nice car....  good luck with it.

mopars4life

Thanks, I know where you are coming from - I don't trust everyone else's work.  If it was a survivor car that would be one thing. I am trying to use used  or NOS (dreaming on that one) sheetmetal whereever possible-I don't like the repo stuff-it always needs tweaking and is thinner gauge and most is made overseas-I like to support our economy and workers where possible.

I gave up on trying to find original quarters and trunk extensions for my demon - the first car waiting for rebuild (had it since HS).  I will have to bite the bullet and get auto body specialties or goodmark to save a set for me at Carlisle this year.

Check her out where I found her - look at how nicely they removed the door handle and if you can see-bent the door back to get off that last fender bolt.  Some of the saddest butchering I've seen in a while!

jerry

look like every 68-69 charger i have ever seen.lots and lots of money and a whole lot of time anything can be patched or save the money and spend the time looking for a rust free car in the south west.some cars deserve to die a decent death this being one of them.its just my opinion. :o

mopars4life

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder and what your skill level is.  If I can keep another R/T alive I will. 

mikepmcs

Definitely worth saving.  You should have no problem when you get around to fixin it up since you worked at a body shop.  As Chris would say, make sure you put it in the registry. :icon_smile_big:
good luck.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

BigBlockSam

QuoteDefinitely worth saving. 

:iagree:  lotsa work but very rewarding when you get things accomplished. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

mopars4life

I have a charger addiction! My '74 is for sale now along with a '71 satellite-too many projects-in the cars for sale section.

six-tee-nine

Well trust me, if it was the only one i could afford, i also would by it......it takes a little longer to restore, but will give you even greater satisfaction in the end
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

mopars4life

Thanks all for the encouragement-now I just have to get rid of all my extra "stuff" and I can start building the 1st car I had since high school-the demon-than this poor charger should hopefully get a 2nd lease on life!  At least I got it out of the elements now.

hemi-hampton

What state you live in? This thing looks pretty solid compared to the Michigan Rust Buckets I allways see. except trunk. LEON.

Ghoste

Remember that one that CudaKen had?  That had to be one of the most rotten cars I've ever seen and he brought it back to life.

purple70rt

are you from missouri by any chance?  I used to know where one was just like that, disappered one day.  Was near Mexico, MO.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

AirborneSilva

Quote from: mopars4life on June 25, 2006, 07:49:10 PM
Some may think I am crazy for saving it-but it's a stripe delete, non vinyl top, non hood signal car-buckets with console (originally), not much else.  I got it from a guy who deals with lots of mopars.  The whole back end is gone in it-apparently a long time ago the owner died (had a bunch of mopars) and his sons (I would knock them silly if I found them) raped it for parts. The door handles were ripped off, the core support bent up-looks as if they lifted the car with it.  The car was mostly stripped when I got it, since it sat so long with some of the windows open the floors are gone as well.  The pictures make it look nicer than it is!
I just thought I'd share with everyone on the board-see if they all thought I was crazy too.  The only redeeming factor-the front clip (inner fenders, cowl and frame were solid).  It was the only R/T I could ever afford!  It's 3rd on my list of mopars waiting to get a new lease on life!

Ya want something to make you feel better about your project, go look at what I got stuck with http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,3692.0.html  Good luck with your project and please post plenty of pics of your progress/process, it will help in mine - when I can get started on it that is  :-\

mopars4life

Sorry to see what you got stuck with from HLPAG-I don't know how that dude is still running around.  I wish someone had a mugshot of them to post (if they haven't all ready) so everyone can put a face to their name.  I just got back from Carlisle and who knows if those hackers were there. 

Best of luck with your car-it is rough.  But I saw mopar muscle do a feature on a petty blue super bird that had nothing good but the roof and they showed the pics and I saw it at Carlisle-anything can be brought back.

If you do the work-obviously you save lots of time.  But the time/money investment should be considered well in advance before you start dumping too much into the car-they can become pits fast!