News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 68 Charger IS HOME from PAINT!!..>> UPDATE APR 3 (see p.3)

Started by PocketThunder, July 20, 2005, 10:06:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

Ok guys and gals,
Here is the scoop on my 68 resto that i started in January.   I had a couple snags along the way.   one being a broken finger playing wally ball at work, and the second being a new half bath addition to the house for my spouse.   (damn honey-do list never gets smaller)   But, i'm back on track an moving ahead full steam.   I'm scheduled for paint Aug 20th so we'll see if i can make that deadline. That gives me 4 nights and weekends to do my mud work and wet sanding.  

I'll let the pictures do the talking so here we go!  

Picture 1:   bought it from a relative who had past away.   $500.
Picture 2:   trunk floor was totaly gone.
Picture 3:   new pans welded in.  
Picture 4:   New quarter welded on, this is how it sat in March.  
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Picture 1: Then i ran out of money and so i picked up a side job building a garage addition for a friends Dad. 
Picture 2: Then moma wanted her sh!t done also so i had to convert the old butlers pantry into a half bath.  Look pretty good huh..
Picture 3:  This is how the 500 sits.  waiting.  dont want it going anywhere so i better load it down with crap.  I've cleaned this car off twice already and the crap keeps piling up.
Picture 4:  After sand blasting the bottom side this past weekend i por-15'd the underside and its looking good....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

PocketThunder

Picture 1:   Here is the H&H Trailer i went in on with my Dad for $3000 total.   22' long manual tiltbed.
Picture 2:   We added a winch and man this is the only way to go, easy loading!
Picture 3:   Then i sprayed the trunk floor with por-15 also.  
Picture 4:  This is how it look right now.  I've got some more paint to scrape off and old mud work to remove, then its go time!

8WHEELER

Hidden headlights are for dorks??????.... UMMM It looks like you joined the club   ;D
Boy I remember when my blue 68 looked like that YIKES, but when your done look out.

Oh by the way great color  ;D

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Silver R/T

nice project shots. thanks for sharing. Youll get done someday
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

ChargerRob

Mighty Mean Mexican Mopar

tomonty

It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. - H.L. Mencken

PlumBad70

looks awesome pocket, keep us updated....Mine is heading to the body shop tomorrow to get re-did!! :thumbs:
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4

Charger_Fan

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 20, 2005, 10:35:43 PM
Picture 3:   This is how the 500 sits.   waiting.   dont want it going anywhere so i better load it down with crap.   I've cleaned this car off twice already and the crap keeps piling up.
I know exactly what you mean. Mine is constantly being used as a trash collector, in & out. :-\

You're making nice progress, I can't wait to see it in paint!

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good luck!!

PS thats some garage you have there!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

Keep up the good work Pocket. :thumbs:

It will all pay off when the first coat of shiny stuff goes on.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

PocketThunder

Quote from: 6T9_CHARGER_RT on July 22, 2005, 05:44:19 AM
Good luck!!

PS thats some garage you have there!

thanks.  ya i've got a 40' wide lot and the city limit on garages is 1000 sf so i went 32 wide by 30 deep.  Its still too small  :icon_smile_big:  I told my spouse we were gonna dig a ramp down to the basement of the house for and extra stall but she said................. NO.

Pic 1:  the old garage from the early 1900's.  It was a one car, then added on to for a 18x18 two car, but too small to get any Charger work done in so it came down.  Pretty easily too...
Pic 2:  had a crew of guys come over thinking they were getting free beer and bar-b-qued steaks, when they showed up I put them to work.  We had all the walls up and trusses on in a day.
Pic 3:  the second day only one guy came back so we were left to shingle the roof on our own.....

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

BigBlockSam

the car is looking great!  and i luv the garage. thats my dream. to build my dream garage. good luck. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

67Ruda

Keep em coming!!!!
Great work, stay motivated.

gpnavar

Hello my name is Gary and I have a couple of questions for you I was looking at your pics and I see that you have tackled and it looks like successfully mastered the trunk. I'm in the process now of doing a trunk in my 68 RT and am in the middle of using a spotweld remover to drill all of the spotwelds out and my question is along the sides of the trunk sections where they fit up against the wheelwells and around the flanges where the jack fit are is the trunk spot welded on the sides and in the wheelwells. This has been the most frustrating job I believe I have ever done also I had to cut the bumper braces out to get under them so I will be able to get the trunk out do you know where I can purchase new ones? I thank you for your time and hope that you can help me. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Gary

PocketThunder

Quote from: gpnavar on July 24, 2005, 10:16:36 AM
Hello my name is Gary and I have a couple of questions for you I was looking at your pics and I see that you have tackled and it looks like successfully mastered the trunk. I'm in the process now of doing a trunk in my 68 RT and am in the middle of using a spotweld remover to drill all of the spotwelds out and my question is along the sides of the trunk sections where they fit up against the wheelwells and around the flanges where the jack fit are is the trunk spot welded on the sides and in the wheelwells. This has been the most frustrating job I believe I have ever done also I had to cut the bumper braces out to get under them so I will be able to get the trunk out do you know where I can purchase new ones? I thank you for your time and hope that you can help me. I look forward to hearing from you soon. Gary

Hey Gary,

Yes the trunk is spot welded along the wheel wells.  my car was so rusted that there was nothig left to cut out though.  :icon_smile_shock: Grinding out all the spot welds sounds like a tough job.  I started doing that and after the 5th one i grabbed the grinder and just grinded out the spot welds.  I avoided cutting into the frame rails.  See the following picture for a patch i had to make to the inner wheel wells.

The bumper brackets i dont think are reproduced by anyone, so you'll have to reuse your old ones or ask around for a set.  I tried to remove mine the best that i could.  They went back in ok..

Here is where i learned how to do a trunk floor.  www.69hemi.com  His name is Jet and he is a member here on this message board. 

Good luck, and just ask a question here anytime and you'll always get help. 
PT

MoparYoungGun

Looks like you have made great progess PT. Are you building this one for your wife? I think I recall something like that from back on the old board. What are your plans for it, stroker, stock restoration, etc? Good luck with the rest of the project :cheers: !

MGBRingo

Can you show and tell me more about the winch you added on your trailer?

I have the exact same trailer, including color, except mine is a 20 footer.  I have a winch to mount also.  Show me a picture of how you mounted yours.  I bought the winch mount form H&H but am not impressed with it.  I want to mount mine similar to what you did.

I love the trailer too.  Very easy to load and pulls very nice.

General_01

Looking good Pocket. :2thumbs: You ended up going two years without a car. :'( Oh well. Next year will be fun.  Bring some pics to the picnic on Sunday. I should have the General with me.
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

PocketThunder

Quote from: MoparYoungGun on July 25, 2005, 06:15:59 PM
Looks like you have made great progess PT. Are you building this one for your wife? I think I recall something like that from back on the old board. What are your plans for it, stroker, stock restoration, etc? Good luck with the rest of the project :cheers: !

Yes this is going to be for my spouse.  (which i'll drive for a couple years while i restore the 500  ;D)  Its gonna get a 440, .030" over, decked and balanced, maybe bigger valves if the stock ones need replacing.  I cant afford to stick too much money into it though.  Just looking to make it a nice driver with big balls....

Quote from: MGBRingo on July 25, 2005, 06:25:59 PM
Can you show and tell me more about the winch you added on your trailer?

I have the exact same trailer, including color, except mine is a 20 footer.   I have a winch to mount also.   Show me a picture of how you mounted yours.   I bought the winch mount form H&H but am not impressed with it.   I want to mount mine similar to what you did.

I love the trailer too.   Very easy to load and pulls very nice.

It sure is very easy to load and pull.  I ordered the winch mount plate with the trailer.  i think it was a little over $100.  The winch i had bolted right up to it and i think that was the best $100 i ever spent.  it sure beats the hassle of fabbing up a plate when you're a guy with no free time.  It was probably more expensive than what i could have built one for but in my case $100 was easier to come up with vs any free time to do it..

The trailer is at my Dads an hour away, i'll be there this weekend so i'll snap a couple close up pics for you.

--------------------------------------  :yesnod: (Mike D style)

Hey General, i called Tipopiola tonight and he will be there also.  I'm bringing the whole fam damily so see you about noon.  I'm bringing my weber grille this year so i dont have to eat raw brats this time......

MoparYoungGun

Cool, sounds like it should a fun car. Good luck with with it and the 500 :cheers: !

smasherofall

Quote from: gpnavar on July 24, 2005, 10:16:36 AM

they have the bumper braces at Sherman :http://store.shermanparts.com/cgi-bin/sherman/product_list.html?img_num=171      :icon_smile_big:

MGBRingo

I am looking forward to seeing the pictures.  I will take some pictures of the H&H mount I will not be using also.   Thanks

I am also interested in how you wired it.  I am planning on mounting those quick release connections on the front and rear of my truck so I can just plug it in when I need to use it.

Wakko

Wow, that's some progress!   Lookin' good...and good work on that garage, I couldn't nail two boards together with a nailgun!
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM