News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help with heat

Started by teen_wolf_01, August 17, 2005, 07:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teen_wolf_01

Good news, good news.  I recently bought a 70 Road Runner.  It's plum crazy purple, white interior, and white top with a black side stripe.  It's got a few issues but well worth my time.  The problem I'm having is its running  a little hot.  Whether it's noon or  two in the morning it runs about 200-210.  I flushed out the 22inch radiator and put a new 180 thermostat,and 7 blade fan, no change.  The only thing else I know to do is put a 160 thermostat , and a shrout, I need to put a shrout on it. Is this normal because my Charger always ran cool  or do  I need a new radiator or what.  I would appreciate any and all help.

Thanks Jason

Plumcrazy

I would get a thermometer and put it in the radiator with the engine idleing.  Compare what it says to the temp guage in the car to be sure you have a problem.

If it's really that hot, drain the radiator down a little so you can see the tube openings in the radiator.  Look to see if there's a lot of white solder bloom restricting the tubes.  Also look at the fins between the tubes to see if they are corroded or have sections of them missing.  If the radiator isn't in very good shape that's where I would start.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

KMPX2

Are you sure there is no air traped in the system?

cudaken

Changing the thermostat will be a waste of time unless you got a bad one. I would say pull the radiator and have it rodded, and more than likely a new one will be in order unless that one has been replaced before.

If you don't care about look's I went with a cross flow, man that makes her run cool! I was also hitting 210 with the Charger. Dropped in a friend's 3 row that was fresh, went to 170 like that. Bought the cross flow, would you believe 155 with a 170 thermostat?

I had a over heating problem for years with my 68 Road Runner, so bad I parked the car for God, 10 year's? Replaced everything like you are getting ready to and replaced again. Know what it was? Stopped up muffler's! Reason I never thought that was it, tone of the exhaust never changed, sould like the day I had them installed. For the heck, have the muffles checked.

Cuda Ken, cool again
I am back