News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Steering Problems

Started by 73Charger, June 29, 2006, 03:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73Charger

I went for inspection today, and was told my power steering was leaking and there was too much "play" in my steering and some problem with my brakes - something about a brake locking up.  They spoke of replacing the power steering pump, emergency brake cable(which I have), and I don't know what else. Would it be the gear box that needs replacing too ?  the wheel has play in it even when the car is not running. and the key is on.  I bet I can do the rear brake cable myself but I'm guessing I'm looking at a large bill to do all the rest.  What do you think would be needed to fix the leak and the play?
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

73Charger

My steering wheel has like 4-5" of play in it where the wheels don't move when it is moved.  I got used to it and didnt think about it until I took my car for inspection today and they said it wont pass.  What is the culprit?  they also mentioned that my power steering pump was leaking.  I know my steering "box" was recently rebuilt when I bought the car. I'm not sure what that does or if it would cause this. Are there simple things that can cause this or is it the gear box?  or would a leaky pump cause it???
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing

Rack

I'm no expert, but first thing I'd do is have that leak repaired. If it fixes your problem, great. And it needs to be fixed anyway so...

If it doesn't fix the problem then someone here will most definitely give you a few possibilities as to what the problem might be.

dodge freak

I think the inspectors are giving you a hard time, I put a rebuilt standard ratio box in last year with a brand new coupling and a rebuilt steering pump and new hoses. Car drives fine but when the engine is off I have about 4" of play till the wheels move. Thats how it is . Bet you if you change everything and just get rebuilt stuff like I did they pass it then. Does all cars have to pass inspection were you live or do they only go back till 1967 or so ? If there is a cut off date I would just sell it and get something that needs no inspection. Those guys are jerks and just like to give some folks a hard time. I am so glad we don't have any of that B S up here in Michigan.

73Charger

That's what I would normally think - they just want to sell stuff - but I have used this garage for all my vehicles over quite a few years and are the only ones around I "trust".  I think - like you - that my wheel moves more when the car is sitting than it does when driving.  I doubt that there is much leakage as well, since the level has always seemed fine.  I'm just wondering now - how tough it would be to fix this probem, and if there are things I can do to fix the situation myself without a lift or fancy tools.  I've been pricing parts at the paddock so I have a ballpark of what they SHOULD cost atleast.  It would be good to know what could cause this wheel play though so I could start looking at the system systematically.  All cars have to pass a safety inspection in NY - even antiques - just not computer checks.

dodge freak

Wow that stinks , no wonder some people just buy a new car . Well I changed all that myself with a floor jack , jack stands and a breaker bar. But that box is heavy and you have to pull the pitman arm off , How much is fair- not sure but the rebuilt box cost me $160 and the pump was about $50 . I think labor is about 2-3 x cost of parts so I think it should cost $500-$600 if they did it, maybe a little more plus tax. Yeah a 2-4 year old car would save you alot of trouble. So sorry  you need to have somebody say your car is ok, don't rule out on finding another shop. Some guys are cool , it just depends.

Wakko

Easiest way to fix that is to move to Florida!  My car never would have passed inspection. 

But if you're determined to stay put, your steering box should have an adjuster on the top that will help reduce play between the gears.  Don't do it too much, you don't want the steering to feel sticky and not return to center without your effort.  Check for adjustment on your E brake cable, and check the pivot points for lubrication.  Did the brake stick when the pedal was depressed, released or the E brake pedal was depressed/released?
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

73Charger

cool - thanks.  yeah - i think they are bulls*tng me now - i figured the power steering fluid should be low if it was leaking like they said, so I just went out to top it off and it is actually reading above the full cold line (its been sitting for 5+ hours now). I then took a clean rag and ran it all over the pump, all sides, bottom, etc. and found a bit of old greasy stuff - probably dried oil mixed with dirt on the bottom, but no fresh fluid to speak of. I also ran it along the two lines coming out and found no fluid. maybe if I take it to a quicky lube place they wont be so harsh.
It would be good to get that wheel play out though.  Tomorrow, I'm replacing the brake cable myself and I'll look for that adjuster on the gear box.  BTW - I'm guessing its a screw to turn?  which way should I go with it?  thanks so much guys!  I wish I had this kind of help with my other car!  ;)

RallyeMike

Adjustment is on the top of the box. Back off the lock nut and turn clockwise the screw slot to tighten it up. However, this will usually not completely solve the problem of play in a worn-out system. The total remedy usually calls for rebuilding or replacing your steering box and/or pump.

If your inspection people are like my State's emission inspection folks, they are mostly a bunch of overpaid flunkies who don't know anything about auto mechanics, they just know how to follow procedures. It's best to track down and resolve the source of your problems yourself or with a mechanic.

As far as inpections go, it's people who drive around in piles of crap that cause States to initiate saftey inspection programs, which in turn causes all the rest of us to have to be burdoned with more governement process. Driving around in an unsafe car is nothing to be proud of. How many times have you seen some pile lock up one wheel at a stop light and then prayed the asshole diidnt get behind YOU at the next one!.

I appreciate the fact that you are tackling these issues  :thumbs:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

73Charger

Thanks for another great reply.  I did a search on here and found a great thread about steering gear box adjustment and am going to try it out tomorrow.  Since my box has only a couple thousand miles on it at most, I don't think i need a new one, and since my pump is fine too, I'm hoping an adjustment will be enough.  In NY, just about any mechanic is an inspection station, and thats where I took it, but if after I replace my parking brake cable and adjust my steering tomorrow, I'll call and ask what else I need to do.  I brought it there cause i figured they would over look some things like the whole in my header. i have new ones but havent got them installed yet.  :rotz:

RallyeMike

Good news! If it's that new, it's probably just out of adjustment youll be good to go.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

73Charger

Thanks to everyone who replied - I adjusted it down good and snug for the inspection, but will back off later since it doesn't want to pop back to center by itself. there is less play - especially once the car is started and pressure is in the system.  Took me a bit to realize the inner screw and the nut werent one in the same since  :P DOH! when I turned the nut to loosen it, the screw went with it, but i figured it out eventually.  :icon_smile_tongue:
Then I moved on to replacing my rear parking cable, but found that my adjustment rod would no longer work so I search for another one or some way to make one. Here's my broken adjustment hook  :icon_smile_sad:

TylerCharger69

This may or may not pertain to your issues with power steering....but I've learned that when the steering box is run with no pressure,  there will be play until pressure is built back up.....example.....when the car is off....I have about an inch to an inch and a half of play,  but when the car is running...there is no play at all.    If there is a leak in the return line,  maybe  it's sucking in air and causing the play because it's not maintaining a consistent pressure in the steering box?......Just a thought..maybe wrong...but a thought nonetheless.... ???