News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does this look bad? *pic*

Started by Rack, July 04, 2006, 11:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

If this block is a standard bore (did I word that correctly?) how much would have to be bored (pretty sure I didn't word that correctly)?

greenpigs

That depends on the ridge at the top and if the rust pitted the bore.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Rack

The guy said it's just surface rust from the humidity in his garage and that it was magnafluxed a year ago.

8WHEELER

The surface rust, does not look deep enough to cause any concern, very very mild.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Rack

Quote from: 8WHEELER on July 05, 2006, 02:36:09 AM
The surface rust, does not look deep enough to cause any concern, very very mild.

Dan

Cool. That's what I wanted to hear.  :yesnod:

How much do you think it should go for?

TylerCharger69

I would hone it out first to see how far until the rust cleans out.  I'd also take a dial caliper,  measure the ridge to see the size...and then measure down in the center of the cylinder to see how much wear there is.   That'll tell you if you need to bore or not.   As soon as you hone...spray some WD-40 in the cylinders to keep it from rusting...it'll do that really fast if you don't!!!

TylerCharger69

Oops...I forgot....Look at the tops of the pistons...they should tell you what size pistons they are if it was bored before.   They'll say .030 or higher if that's the case.  Are they flat tops or dish tops?  Just wondering about that....pic?

Rack

Quote from: TylerCharger69 on July 05, 2006, 11:27:19 AM
Oops...I forgot....Look at the tops of the pistons...they should tell you what size pistons they are if it was bored before.   They'll say .030 or higher if that's the case.  Are they flat tops or dish tops?  Just wondering about that....pic?

Hello, Tyler. It's from an ad on ebay. The only 440 block being sold in texas that I've found so far. He claims it hasn't been bored.

Here's the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=220003330614&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Still a few days to go, but I'm hoping not too many people bid on it (especially early, I don't know why people bid so early on stuff).

If it really is a standard bore then all the better.

TylerCharger69

Rack...I checked out that link.....expect the  price to go up though.   I would've bid on that...but since you have interest in it....i won't.   I've acquired an R/T car  and another XP car from an old barn outside of Mathis, Texas.   They are so rusted out, that when I went to drag it out on Saturday...(the R/T) the entire framework crumbled out where the rear end (8 3/4...not a dana), shocks, and half the trunk kinda stayed there....lol....Unfortunately...the car is toast, but I'm going to go back and get the 4 speed and the engine out of it.  The XP car has a 383 2 bbl in it, but I didn't attempt that one yet....hopefully this rain will stop soon  and I can go and get what I want.  The bodies and frames  literally look like Swiss cheese.  I'm going to keep that 440  and A-833 tranny from it....as far as both cars...I'll just salvage what I can from them and e-bay the dividends...Not the 440 and manual tranny though.

Rack

Yeah I'm expecting the price to go up. Just hoping it doesn't happen too soon. The reserve hasn't even been met yet. I saw a 440 block that went for about $450 the other day, but it was in New York. The shipping would of been more then then engine.  :rotz:

And thanks for not bidding on my possible future big block!  :yesnod: