News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Driveshaft question....I need one.

Started by Sweet T, July 07, 2006, 11:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet T

I have two dents in my driveshaft that have been there since oh probably the late 80's at least.  One of these dents is more like a big crease.  This shaft is pretty much useless.  The car vibrates beyond what I like when you get it up into the mid 40's.  My question is what are the chances of me finding another one (used) or am I gonna have to bite the bullet and have one custom built for $400 buck (chromolley).  Are there other cars I can take a driveshaft from that will work.  I am  running a 69 with a 833 and Dana 60.

PS   If anyone in Southern Ontario has one that will work send me a PM.
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

Runner

if your willing to run a old used driveline, then why would you pay all that money for a chrome moly shaft?.     id think you could take your drive shaft down to any driveline shop and have them reuse your ends and replace the tube with a mild steel  then balance it.  around here thats  less than 200 bucks with new spicer u joints

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

mikepmcs

Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Sweet T

I went down to a shop that would build me a driveshaft using my pieces but I was still looking at 300 - 350.  The tapered tube was a bit of trouble too so they would have to put new ends on it anyways being as the tube is an odd 3 and a quarter at one end and 2 and a halfish at the other end.  I called the two places around here that everyone uses and they were both over 300 making me think I would be better off with a whole new one but hey if I can get a decent used one for cheap I'm okay with that too. 
No, it ain't a Hemi.....thank God!

toqwik

Have them change the rear end universal to the same size as the front yolk, so you can use same size tubing.  had to do this for another car I am building,  cost less than 150.