News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ceramic header question?

Started by tick68charger, July 07, 2006, 05:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tick68charger

Has anyone went from an un-ceramic header to a ceramic?
did you notice a major change in engine bay temps?
Is it worth sending my hooker super comp headers out to get coated?

I have some major engine bay temp thats heating up all my accessories,
my fire wall and everthing on it, even my windshield wiper fluid box.
I think its heating up my fuel line, giving me vapor lock.

dodge freak

Well I used header wrap on my cheap headmen headers. Not sure if I use it on $400 headers. They say its not good for them, but my seem fine now for 2 years. They also make header blankets that lay on top. Maybe just use the header wrap by the fuel lines.

If you only drive it when its nice out and not in the rain, you could remove the hood gasket by the firewall to let the air get out. I did and have even drove it in a major down pour for 15 min and it was fine. It still gets hot but it must help a little.

is_it_EVER_done?

Though I can't offer data on actual temperature changes due to the fact that I have never measured before and after temps the few times I have made the change, It has been stated by magazines, manufacturers, and some users that the underhood temp is reduced by anywhere from 50 to 100 degrees.

I can say for certain that the reduction in underhood temperature is very notable, and would guess that an "honest" temp reduction of 50 degrees or more is achieved. My opinion is that the coating is worth the investment.

Runner

didnt seem to change much for me and i used my temp gun and took before and after temps of the pipes and the temps were close. this was on a set of headman regular headers and going to a set of headman ceramic coated headers. the car et'ed and mph the same at the track. i now have hooker ceramic coated headers.    i just like the look of the ceramic headers better. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

tick68charger

i like the look of ceramic. my 2 yr old headers are starting to rust. i will send them out.
the main problem is that i get vapor lock after 30 to 40 min of driving below 30 mph.
my secondaries are very hot along with everything else, and i do have the valley pan
with the heat port blocked. i just did a complete cooling change with a becool aluminum radiator,
a mildon high flow water pump and a high flow thermostat with a new temp gauge.
now she runs at 180 all day, but i still get vapor lock???? and if i open her up its like my 440 run
out of fuel.
i think I'll start a new thread with that ?

Runner

make sure your fuel line is routed away from heat as much as possible and a heat insulated spacer should help as well.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

tick68charger

thanks for your help runner i'm thinking about getting the 1" phenolic spacer from summit racing, and
having my headers ceramic coated. i hope that takes care of the problem

Silver R/T

cant hurt to have them ceramic coated, up to 30% less heat with ceramic coating
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

mopar1968

Quote from: tick68charger on July 07, 2006, 05:38:32 PM
Is it worth sending my hooker super comp headers out to get coated?

I have some major engine bay temp thats heating up all my accessories,
my fire wall and everthing on it, even my windshield wiper fluid box.
I think its heating up my fuel line, giving me vapor lock.

No noticeable difference in heat between old header and my new ceramic ones.  Maybe cause I bought the steel ceramic ones.  Next time I will go for the aluminium.  These steel ones were a bitch to get into place.  Thank Mopar for mini starters!!!  Ceramic looks COOL though, does that count?

Plumcrazy

Quote from: tick68charger on July 07, 2006, 05:38:32 PM

Just did that last winter.  Didn't notice any change.  :rotz:

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

tick68charger

it would not look as good but maybe i would be better off using header tape
and then paint it with a black high temp paint so that the tape would not stand out
as much.
although i like the look of ceramic i want what works the best on engine bay temps.