News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rust removal with vinegar??

Started by Charger_Fan, July 07, 2006, 07:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 Charger RT

Has anyone used "RealLemon"  I heard of people swearing by it.  It's basically Citric Acid.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

greasyspider

Electrolysis is the best way I have found to remove rust thus far, to date.  No fumes, no hazardous chems, and it actually converts some of the oxides back to metal (less pitting).    Thinking of doing a write up on it, but I'm sure there is one on here somewhere.
'71 Plum Crazy  R/T

CDN72SE

Quote from: 70 Charger RT on October 26, 2011, 08:23:52 AM
Has anyone used "RealLemon"  I heard of people swearing by it.  It's basically Citric Acid.

When I don't want to spend money on Evaporust I'll use the lemon mix. I used it on my shock plates, plus front bumper brackets, brake backing plates, etc.

The part that still shows rust was about to be put back in. It was quite a bit worse than the rust that was still remaining.
1972 Charger SE

68blue

Phosphoric acid is my go to rust remover, rinse then clean with ethanol and you have a ready surface for paint.

badass

mopars best **** the rest

JMF

Coca Cola or WD40 is good for getting rust off chrome also

areibel

I tried a mix I saw mentioned on Moparts- 1 gallon of white vinegar with 1/3 cup of salt and 6-8 ounces of lemon juice (Real\Lemon).  It actually worked pretty well.  I used it on some bolts and brackets (that were pretty bad) as a test, it got rid of the rust but left a slightly rough texture that might not be great for sheetmetal. 

hemi-hampton

Quote from: areibel on December 19, 2015, 02:47:56 PM
I tried a mix I saw mentioned on Moparts- 1 gallon of white vinegar with 1/3 cup of salt and 6-8 ounces of lemon juice (Real\Lemon).  It actually worked pretty well.  I used it on some bolts and brackets (that were pretty bad) as a test, it got rid of the rust but left a slightly rough texture that might not be great for sheetmetal. 

This method has been around since the 1970's in the rusty beer can cleaning hobby, cheap safe alternative if you don't have easy access to Oxalic acid. This combination is similar to using Citrus acid. LEON.

cavemanno1

Ghoste