News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone know where to find a lower rear S.S. window trim piece for a Daytona/500?

Started by Charger Aficionado, July 07, 2006, 09:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

I ASSumed it was the same as regular Charger window trim until I got to looking...  I still have to look in the boxes of stuff I got with the 500, but I don't think I have it... Rrrrrr I know it's gonna COST me...

Daytona R/T SE

I just went through this with my Daytona clone-the "regular" charger piece will work-it just has a radius to it, to follow the countour of the "regular" rear window where it meets the rear deck panel...I figured out a way to straighten it, and now it fits just fine...

Directions for "Gettin' the curve out"

1. Buy a wooden 1x2 pine board 8 feet long with as few knots as possible.

2. Round up every "C" clamp you own.

3. Find, buy or steal a piece of soft metal roughly the size of the molding.  (I just happened to have a piece of .062" copper sheet 1" wide by about three feet long  laying around in my junk pile) but aluminum, or anything else soft and bendable will do...

4. Clamp the molding to the narrow EDGE of the 1x2, placing the copper strip between the clamps and the molding to prevent scratching/denting the molding. You'll have to bow the board slightly to get it to follow the curvature of the molding...place several clamps along this assembly - at least five or six...

5. place the whole works across two saw horses, figure out which way you want it to bend, position the assembly so that the direction you want it to bend is down and then LEAN on it, once you think you've got it straight hold it in that position and release the clamps-a helper at this point is a plus...

6. It might take a few attempts, but it worked for me...

Well, lookie there, I found a picture...

The molding is on the right side of the board in the pic, hidden by the copper strip...

Charger Aficionado

Whew thank God.  I was worried that this was going to be another huge expense...  I really really appreciate the info.  There is still some hope I may find the original one, but we'll see...  Wow even had pix!  awesome.

69_500

Are you possitive it isn't the same as a regular Charger window trim piece? I believe they are the same pieces for the lower window trim. I think the only different pieces are the upper trim pieces as they are a little longer than a standard Charger trim piece.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 69_500 on July 09, 2006, 03:36:55 PM
Are you possitive it isn't the same as a regular Charger window trim piece? I believe they are the same pieces for the lower window trim. I think the only different pieces are the upper trim pieces as they are a little longer than a standard Charger trim piece.

The C 500 and Daytona piece doesn't have the same radius as the "regular" Chargers-If you look at a "regular" charger from the rear the lower rear window trim has a "frown  :-[ " to it, where the C500/Daytona trim is more straight...there's not much of a difference, I never noticed it until I started mocking up the trim for my Daytona clone, and the lower piece didn't fit the plug....just one of those things that makes you go hmmmmm.....

Charger Aficionado

69_500

I've never tried a regular trim on my 500 but I might do that to see the difference your talking about. I had at one itme been told to just use regular Charger trim on a 500/Daytona but put them on the opposite sides.

WINGMAN

Danny     Daytona RT SE is right about the lower trim 100%,and the corners are switched left to right on c500 and Daytonas. Hey guys has any person seen the rear side marker lenses turned upside down on 500 or daytonas from the factory? My 500 is that way and i read some place some were like that. :icon_smile_cool: Jay
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

69_500

Ah so the middle trim piece is what is different? Due to the sligh curvature of the plug, just like the deck lid with its curvature then right?

Now you have me wanting to go down and check out my 500 for the rear marker lights. I always look at those to see what color the bezels are on unrestored cars, but never make much of the actual reflectors.

hemi68charger

Quote from: WINGMAN on July 10, 2006, 05:45:36 PM
   Danny     Daytona RT SE is right about the lower trim 100%,and the corners are switched left to right on c500 and Daytonas. Hey guys has any person seen the rear side marker lenses turned upside down on 500 or daytonas from the factory? My 500 is that way and i read some place some were like that. :icon_smile_cool: Jay

Yeap, Jim's (3-daytona) has it done to his green survivor..... The left front side-marker light is flipped upside down.. I chuckled when he pointed it out... But, I can see it happening...

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Now I'm going to have another odd thing to look for at car shows from now on.