News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 water pump housing

Started by mikepmcs, July 09, 2006, 05:29:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikepmcs

Anyone got one for a good price.  I can't get the top plug out to put the external temp gauge feed in.  I know, i know, but i've tried everything including heat.  So i'm done and I want a new one.  i'm looking for stock so I can keep the electric feed as well.  thanks
v/r
Mike 
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

deputycrawford

Buy the new aluminim one, take it and the old one to the machine shop and have them drill and tap a hole in the new one in the same place as the old one. You could wait for it while they do it.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Mike, usually a little heat applied to the housing will help with frozen bolts/studs etc...

You can find housings in just about any scrapyard...they're everywhere. The aluminum housings that deputy is talking about are a viable option if you can't locate a cast iron unit.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

mikepmcs

you guys are right, i could just go to a junk yard near me or i could probably ask Jim Shine for some help, he might know where one is.
I thought about the aluminum route but i don't have that kind of cash right now.  i just spent a crap load of money on msd ignition and a new carb :boogie:   maybe i'll just wait and buy the aluminum one with the high volume pump in the near future and do what Deputy said.
I tried the heat thing and, no joy.  I ended up just rounding out the square hole, oh well, a little frustrating but not the end of the world. Everything still in tact.  MSD Ignition going in today.

thanks for the responses.
v/r
Mike
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

deputycrawford

Mikepmcs, You will love the MSD stuff. I did the same thing. I have a new Mighty Demon and the 6AL and distributor. I have a large split duration cam of 245/253 at .050 so I run the 18 degree bushing. I have 18 degrees timing at idle and 36 total with one silver spring and one blue spring in it. The total timing comes in between 2500 and 3000 rpms. Good quality stuff. Let us know how it runs afterward.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

DFS68_Charger

I had the same problem with my WP housing. Applied heat, rounded out the square hole...
I ended up welding a bolt to the plug and used a socket wrench to back the plug out.

DFS

mikepmcs

Quote from: deputycrawford on July 10, 2006, 07:48:06 AM
Mikepmcs, You will love the MSD stuff. I did the same thing. I have a new Mighty Demon and the 6AL and distributor. I have a large split duration cam of 245/253 at .050 so I run the 18 degree bushing. I have 18 degrees timing at idle and 36 total with one silver spring and one blue spring in it. The total timing comes in between 2500 and 3000 rpms. Good quality stuff. Let us know how it runs afterward.

Deputy, here is the thread I started yesterday on the ignition install.  I hope I get to it today.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,15845.msg176982.html#msg176982

DFS
I thought about that but i'm afraid it would turn south, probably break the plug and then I'm screwed.  It's all good, it''s gonna take a back seat to my ignition install.  The important stuff.  My stock temp gauge works, i just wanted to make sure it was reading correctly by installing a mechanical gauge backup.  I'll get to it in the near future.

thanks fellas :icon_smile_big:
v/r
Mike