News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum cylinder heads

Started by 68chargerboy, July 09, 2006, 06:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68chargerboy

i am building up a 440 and don't know which heads to use.  i like edelbrock heads because they seem to be alright and affordable.  but i really want to get alot of hp from what i buy so i am also looking into the Indy heads and the mopar stage 6 heads.  the mopar heads are really expensive so i am hoping you wont say there the best of the heads i've listed but if they are please say so.  thanks alot

Zach

rare69

unless you are building a full out race motor you cant go wrong with the edelbrock performer heads, i have a freind running low ten second quarter mile with them on a 440 in a 71 swinger,and my 496 is making plenty of power with them. :yesnod:

firefighter3931

Quote from: rare69 on July 09, 2006, 11:26:25 PM
unless you are building a full out race motor you cant go wrong with the edelbrock performer heads, i have a freind running low ten second quarter mile with them on a 440 in a 71 swinger,and my 496 is making plenty of power with them. :yesnod:

:iagree: It's not too hard to make 500hp with a set of e-heads on pump gas.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Crazy440

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but are, e-heads, really out of the box bolt ons?  Or is there work to be done, on them before they are installed?

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Crazy440 on July 10, 2006, 09:26:20 AM
Not trying to hi-jack this thread but are, e-heads, really out of the box bolt ons?  Or is there work to be done, on them before they are installed?

Crazy

Any new part should be looked over by a machinist. The fit and finish on edelbrock heads is by far the best. The only issue that might need adressing is the valveguide clearance. Some e-heads have been known to have guides that are a little on the tight side so some minor maching might be required. I would have any head looked over for peace of mind. The as delivered valvejob on the Eddy's is probably the best of the bunch....allthough Indy has been improving the quality of their "as deliverd" product from what i'm hearing.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I am glad they Eddy heads just bolt on fopr everyone else , either it is me or they just send the junk to western canaduh

Mike DC

The best choice for cylinder heads depends greatly on the specifics of the motor you're building and what you wanna do with it.  Just like manifolds, carbs, cams, etc. 
It's not as simple as just thinking bigger airflow = better.  Bigger heads are often what is needed on a motor, but there is such a thing as "too big."  And too-big ports will hurt the low-end torque right where you want to feel it most.

I will say that the Eddy heads seem like a better deal than doing anything with stock heads anymore.  The stock heads work fine, but getting a set fully rebuilt & set up for unleaded gas will cost 2/3 as much as the Eddys.  (And that 2/3 price doesn't get you any performance better than stock.)  Whereas on a mildly hopped-up street motor, the Eddys are said to be worth as much as 40-50 HP right out of the box with no side effects.

The various Indy heads are higher-flowing than the Eddys, but they've traditionally been more money and a little more involved to deal with.  (External oil lines, raised ports, etc.)  They're an improvement on any 440 that's fairly hopped-up (and especially on a stroker motor), but on a mild 440-inch street motor the Indy heads may not really be worth the extra money & trouble over the Eddys. 

Indy also came out with some newer street car heads that I'm not as familiar with.  That bears looking into.

Silver R/T

Eddie RPM are best bang for the buck
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

MOPARHOUND!

Eddy's.

50+ pounds off the nose of your Charger.

Better combustion chamber design.  Closed chambered are the best sellers.

They are "NEW". 

Great value, good HP increase for the $$$ spent.

Better heat dissipation.  Could be a positive or a negative.  Positive, cooler running engine, possible negative depending on your combo, your effective compression is said to drop nearly a full point.

I had mine taken apart and the valves back cut, 5 angle valve job, and some minor port work.  Everything was okay, and could have been bolted on out of the box.  I do use the TTI headers, which clear the angled plugs - another consideration when choosing headers for Eddy's.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

deputycrawford

So you are saying the only choice for a 10.5 to 1  493/ 440  with low .600 lift cam, a 3.55 gear and high stall converter would be the INDY EZ heads?
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on July 12, 2006, 02:46:14 PM
So you are saying the only choice for a 10.5 to 1  493/ 440  with low .600 lift cam, a 3.55 gear and high stall converter would be the INDY EZ heads?

If you're asking me....i'd say no. The RPM head works great on a 493.....just ask steves66 what he thinks about his e-headed stroker. The ez's have more upward potential but they also have a bigger port volume. It's a tradeoff.....you lose velocity but gain some flow. With a 3.55 gear i'd be more concerned with velocity for strong low end torque. 550hp with a 493 is a no brainer with stock e-heads. A little more cam and some mild porting and you're in the 600hp range and still on pump gas. With a full port, big roller cam and lots of compression (race build) you can see over 700hp. Not bad for a stock replacement head...inmo.

The max wedge port ez-1's will make 650hp easier but they are more $$$ and you need a max wedge indy manifold. Forget about getting this under a stock hood....it's hood scoop time with this top end package. The larger port volumes will create a less sharp throttle response....but it will make power higher into the rpm range. Like everything in life, it's a tradeoff.

The other thing to consider is the structural integrity of a factory block....put too much steam through it and you'll eventually break it.  :P

Ron

deputycrawford

I didn't think about the throttle response. I heard you could run less gear (3.55) with a 493, depending on the build plan. What if I continued to use my 4.10 and the 3500 stall converter? I also plan to use the Pro-Gram mains and a girdle. Also, would the new INDY dual plain intake fit under the stock hood of a second gen car? I saw something about it in a Mopar magazine recently. if it is too much work, I will go back to the Eddy's. Money is an issue at this time but I would just save up until I could do it the way I want. I want to scare myself, but want it to be responsive at part throttle. Not sluggish unless its floored.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

firefighter3931

The indy dual plane will fit under the stock hood with a standard or edelbrock head. The ez's are 3/4in taller so that will create some hood clearance headaches. It might fit, it might not  ???

The 4.10's are fine...you'll need a 29in slick to hook this car up so the taller tire will knock some of the ratio out of it. The bigger contact patch of the taller tire will help bigtime with traction.

An e-headed stroker will scare you....ask anyone who owns one !  :devil:

An honest 600hp will get you well into the 10's....how fast do you want to go. You'll want a set of frame connecters and a 6pt rollbar because this type of build will result in et's that aren't legal...w/o those safety pieces. ;)

It's important to remember that Chargers are heavy cars. Torque is what you want to get all that mass moving. You also don't want an engine that is too high strung for street driving. Imagine haveing 500ftlbs just off idle and over 600 ftlbs at peak VE....that's what the long arm combo will deliver   ;D

Ron

deputycrawford

Ok, I am just wanting 11.50's so I don't have to cage the car. How about a 400 with a 440 crank and ported Eddy heads? That way I can keep the 4.10s. the 28 inch tall tires and the 3500 stall. Hmm...... might be the way to go. You say a stroker might scare me?  Good. Just what I'm looking for.

dodge freak

You can always use a throttle stop to limit the cars ET.

firefighter3931

Quote from: deputycrawford on July 12, 2006, 10:54:53 PM
Ok, I am just wanting 11.50's so I don't have to cage the car. How about a 400 with a 440 crank and ported Eddy heads? That way I can keep the 4.10s. the 28 inch tall tires and the 3500 stall. Hmm...... might be the way to go. You say a stroker might scare me?  Good. Just what I'm looking for.

Well if you're just looking for 11.50's the lowdeck stroker is all you need. DC member Runner (Mike) has a mild 451 build with stock e-heads and a Comp xe solid 282s and he's running 11.30's. You allready have the manifold and most of the lowdeck accessories on hand....it's pretty much a no brainer.

The 451 will be easier on your 3rd member...you'll be able to keep the 83/4. A 493 would necessitate  a rear end upgrade with any track time & slicks. With money being an issue (it allways is) that has to be factored into the overall build cost for the car.

Ron

Rolling_Thunder

I am planning on the 520" - not sure what to run...    Eddys are cheaper...      Indys are better....       can I get 600hp out of a 520" stroked 440 with just out of the box Edelbrocks ?   I am only looking for around 600hp for now...    going to be 10:1 compression and a faily mild cam...      probably going with ISKY on the cam...    not sure on specs yet
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

firefighter3931

With a 520 cube combo....the e-heads are gonna be a little small, inmo. The smaller runners will make killer torque but the engine will be all done at 5000-5200 rpm and the heads would need some portwork. You would also have to gear it accordingly. For that type of build you should be looking at an intake runner volume in the 280cc plus range to keep the motor from choking itself. The bigger heads will require a bigger manifold which is problematic if you want to keep the stock hood.

Ron

Rocky

Has anyone tried the new edelbrock Victor series heads yet?  I heard that they are not a bolt on deal, but should still be cheaper than the Indy's.