News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wonders of transmission fluid on oxidized paint, no joke.

Started by SeattleCharger, July 13, 2006, 09:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeattleCharger

In some other thread on wheel cleaning or something, someone mention transmission fluid on the tires.  I tried this.  It really works great. 

Then I mentioned that transmission fluid works great on oxidized paint as a quick fix temporarly shine.  Some questioned this?  ya, sounds strange, I know.  I have done this to a few cars over the years, takes a small amount, lasts a good while, washes off  with soap and water if need be.   Cars I didn't want to spend a lot of time and dough or rubbing compound and waxing, etc, the paint wasn't worth it. 

So here is my poor car that is so oxidized I can't hardly stand to look see her like that, so I figure, might as well.   Here are some before, half way done pics (just front of car) and the after pics (front, roof, quarters,  around back lights).     

The good side to this is that now I can visualize my car fixed up better, and I am re-inspired to get it on the road and fixed up.   Just looking at the car now I am more psyched about it, way more, and I can also get a much better view of the condition of the body which was harder to see with the bad oxidation.   I wasn't motivated to rub out the paint and wax it when I was going to do body work and paint eventually.  But this took about fifty cents of transmission fluid, maybe half that, and about five minutes.  Can't beat that.   And it doesn't hurt it, just looks better IMO.  Even around the back lights made a big difference. 

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

SeattleCharger

SeattleCharger

Couple more shows difference on the black part between lights and around tail lights.

4402tuff4u

I believe any oil base or silicone compound/fuild for that matter will give you the same look. Just don't get caught in the rain!! The local environmental conservation or your local US Coast Guard will be chazing you to speak with you! :yesnod:

If you want a cheap and quick deeper color looking existing paint, why not look into some sort of clear coat that will last and actually protect the car??
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

SeattleCharger

Thanks.   I haven't tried other products.       It has rained some, none came off, beaded up like a fresh wax job, heh. 

You mean clear coat paint?  Over the oxidized paint?  Or rubbing out this paint and painting clear coat?  That seems to sort of defeat the purpose behind this.  ?  Not sure what you mean.
     I plan on sanding down the paint after I repair the places best I can, then maybe trying to paint it myself best I can,   I don't know.   Problem is I am not able to use the garage where I live and I can't have a tarp type structure over it either where I live at this time.  I wish.  Otherwise I would have it painted by now.    :-\

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dodge freak

I like to put some trans oil in the gas tank, gives the clean gas we have today some oil to keep the valves free. Before there was cat. converters on cars it was sometimes in magazine as tips to keep your car running good. 1 quart of trans oil to a full tank of gas.

Rack

Quote from: dodge freak on July 15, 2006, 05:47:40 AM
I like to put some trans oil in the gas tank, gives the clean gas we have today some oil to keep the valves free. Before there was cat. converters on cars it was sometimes in magazine as tips to keep your car running good. 1 quart of trans oil to a full tank of gas.

That's a pretty good tip. Never heard of that before.

dodge freak

Don't go adding oil to the gas on these new cars-it ruin the cat, converter and other sensors.

Silver R/T

its loaded with lots of silicone (trans fluid) right?
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Ghoste

Isn't it mainly just mineral oil with red dye and some friction modifiers?