News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Thinking about making a MISTAKE on the 500...

Started by Charger Aficionado, July 20, 2006, 08:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger Aficionado

Well...  I'm going insane not wanting to paint the 500 F8 Green.  I AM re-selling it on eBay or at B.J. and I'm going crazy because I absolutley HATE F8.  Will I loose or make money if I do it Black?  I'm DYING to do it black, am I on crazy pills???  HELP Advice needed...

moparjohn

Well hate is an ugly word. I love green and therefore love F8, my car was originally F8.  If you are keeping the car paint it your favorite color.  If you are selling paint it "whatever" color you want. It might be woth more original but maybe someone else likes black too. I say it's just paint and can be changed. However I will never understand how you (or anyone) could hate F8. LOL
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

hemigeno

I'm a bad one to ask that question.  My R/T's original color is F8, and I can't bring myself to paint it back that color right now.  I also can't bring myself to paint it any other color, since I tend to be more of a numbers guy than anything else.  I've left the outside of the car just as it was when I bought it, so I can blame that "former owner" for the color change.

Conventional wisdom is that if you change the color of a car from a less-desirable color to a more-desirable color, you don't hurt the car's value.  7 out of 10 average car guys would probably prefer the black to F8.  However, when you get into the specialty cars (Daytona, 'Bird, C500, Hemi, etc.), a lot more of the potential buyers pay attention to the numbers and details.  If its color were changed, some of the more discriminating buyers would consider that a "strike" against the car.

Selling the car on eBay, it probably won't make a difference.  That's such a crapshoot it's hard to predict what will happen.

If you take it to B-J, I think it would get knocked - mostly due to the "Mopar gurus" feverishly trying to justify their existence and value in that marketplace.  They'll make a production out of finding fault with anything such as that.

I don't know if anyone can tell you what the "right" decision to make is.  Flip a coin, maybe?

PocketThunder

Jude i'm in the same boat as you man.  I dont care for Bronze at all!  no matter what shade it is.  I want to paint my 500 black as well but everyone frowns at me for doing so.  well screw em.  i'm not selling the car anytime soon and if i do sell it so what if i get 10,000 bucks less because it needs a paint job to be correct...

I am holding out to see Troys 500 though, its the sister car to mine and i want to see how much i really like T7 in person before i make the final decision.

There is a reason why all Chargers that started out life as Green or Bronze are now Black or Red, its because those colors suck ass.... and i dont see them coming back in style anytime soon.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

WINGMAN

Well the car is what it is, A vary rare car and yes some people want it just as it was when it was new. But there are also people that just want it for a 500 and do not care about if it came in F8. There are only like 225 or so out there and if some one wants one bad then they will buy it. Black is i bitch to get right and to keep clean so if you are go to sell go with with R4 OR B5  :icon_smile_cool:Jay
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Shakey

Leave it in primer and offer paint it in the colour of the buyers choice prior to delivery.

BigBlockSam

primer is cool. i own  a 70 f8 charger r/t. matching #'s on everything. I'm painting it the correct color that it came from from the factory. you want to play around with colors, then get a regular charger. put a big wing on it or tubb it, have fun.
what you got is history. ya gotta kind of respect it. sometimes history is thrown up on  you. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

If you are selling at auction, go with the black.  You could consider red but I think black will be the one that works for you.  Make it deep and shiny shiny shiny.  Trust me on this.

tan top

i am not a great fan of  F8  but  if it were me i would keep it the original color  ,much rather see it in , yellow/ white/ red / black, though , but i would defiantly keep it F8 , also i would of thought that the people who  bid on aero cars are more then likely to want the car to be as close to factory as possible .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Quote from: PocketThunder on July 20, 2006, 10:18:20 PM

I am holding out to see Troys 500 though, its the sister car to mine and i want to see how much i really like T7 in person before i make the final decision.

Well Paul, get your butt on a plane tonight and I'll pick you up from the airport.. I"ll even pick you up in Dana.. Only one catch, you have to help me move tomorrow and Sunday..    :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on July 21, 2006, 06:47:16 AM
Quote from: PocketThunder on July 20, 2006, 10:18:20 PM

Well Paul, get your butt on a plane tonight and I'll pick you up from the airport.. I"ll even pick you up in Dana.. Only one catch, you have to help me move tomorrow and Sunday..    :icon_smile_big:

Troy

awe shucks i'm busy this weekend....  :musik010: :METAL: :punkrocka: :cheers:   www.rock-fest.com
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste

Quote from: tan top on July 21, 2006, 05:24:57 AM...i also i would of thought that the people who  bid on cars are more then likely to want the car to be as close to factory as possible .

Not the e-bay and Barrett-Jackson crowd.  E-bay is a huge crap shoot just like Geno mentioned and B-J and others of that ilk are a big circus.  It's about the show and the sizzle more than anything else.  If the car is perfect and you take it to an auction at Monterey or Amelia Island or Meadowbrook or someplace like that, you'll find a completely different atmosphere and a different kind of buyer.  For those shows you want collector car concours correct.  For the circus, you want presentation and a prime time selling slot.

Charger Aficionado

Quote from: Ghoste on July 21, 2006, 06:43:53 PM
Quote from: tan top on July 21, 2006, 05:24:57 AM...i also i would of thought that the people who  bid on cars are more then likely to want the car to be as close to factory as possible .

Not the e-bay and Barrett-Jackson crowd.  E-bay is a huge crap shoot just like Geno mentioned and B-J and others of that ilk are a big circus.  It's about the show and the sizzle more than anything else.  If the car is perfect and you take it to an auction at Monterey or Amelia Island or Meadowbrook or someplace like that, you'll find a completely different atmosphere and a different kind of buyer.  For those shows you want collector car concours correct.  For the circus, you want presentation and a prime time selling slot.

That's what I was thinking.  I think Black PRESENTS well...

Mikesmopars01

Keep it original.  You can not go wrong with that.  Black is nice, but the F8 green is not that bad.

Old Moparz

If you're not keeping it, then just flip it as is, & let the buyer decide whether the color will be original or different. Then you can move on to your next one, and the next one and the next...... :D
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

if your gonna flip it pm me. i would be intrested. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

That brings up an interesting point.  If you're determined to sell the car, would you fare better to sell it BEFORE restoring it (as a project car), or as a finished/restored car...?

69_500

My opinion is to paint the car F8 green. If it wasn't a SE Charger 500 with A/C then I'd say go with any color you want. But as far as I an gather I only see 4 69 Charger 500's SE with A/C built. So stick with what makes the car unique and such. I personally wouldn't change the color but that is me. By the way its the only SE with A/C I know of that isn't a bronze color.

Ghoste

Hmmm, the car brings up a lot of interesting options here doesn't it?  I think the mainstream auction crowd very much want a finished car and do not care a lot about strictly following the buildsheet.  The e-bay crowd are often loooking for a deal so an unfinished car might actually do quite well there.
I almost have to think that a careful sale after a buildsheet resto would find a collector who truly appreciates that car for what it is.  That person might pay the most of any.
You'll have to decide how quickly you want to move the car.

hemigeno

I guess I was a little vague in my question, and without knowing Jude's investment in the car (which is none of my beeswax), it's a moot point anyway.  The value of a restored car is obviously much higher, but the return on the initial investment is offset by the costs of the restoration itself.  It all depends on what you paid for a car like that for in the first place as to whether the return would be better selling it as a project or selling it post-restoration.  That was the only point I was trying to make, and it's only important when the decision has been made to sell.

:Twocents:

Charger Aficionado

Well what some of you think is "flipping" has no where near turned-out to be that.  I have so much debt from parts purchases, and car purchases, that I have to sell this car for top dollar in order just to break EVEN.  I really do believe in keeping them original, but I'm afraid that Green just does not have that "Hot Rod/Muscle Car" look... 

I do not intend at this point to purchase any more cars.  That's it, I'm so done.  I don't like to let them leave my hands unless they are COMPLETE.  It really irks me if they go as a bare chassis...  But I'm moving-on to bigger and better things.  I think I have an R/T SE in my back pocket that I will keep as a personal driver, but I'm burnt-out.  I wish I could buy parts like a Camaro guy can...  It's getting better, but the parts prices are just ridiculous.

Ghoste

69_500

If your burnt out, and want to part with it quickly let me know. You haven't done much to it so far have you? You picked it up not too long after I got my 500.

Charger Aficionado

Nope I need ALL the money if I sell it, so I have to get her done.  If you knew the debt you would know why.  It is in the process of having bodywork done to it.  I have tons of NOS for it...  I have the rare wide sill mouldings, the grille and headlamp surrounds, all locks, the guages, a NORS 8-track player etc...  I also have the #s engine re-built.  Luckily I have all the rare factory parts too (aero mouldings, rear window and trim, 6-way)...  Shoot me an offer, and I'll talk it over w/ the woman... 

Ghoste

If you need all the money, you might be better off to go the factory color and try to find a collector who needs the car.