News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

$#@!%!$#@ Turn Signals and Hazards

Started by BronzeOnSteelies, July 20, 2006, 10:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BronzeOnSteelies

I just got my 68 put back together and running about 2 weeks ago.
I know the turn signals did work and found out they do not now.

I looked for the flasher units under the dash. I ran the Hazards and they worked. I then pulled the one flasher unit that I found and the hazards did not work anymore. So no problem just find the other flasher and replace it right. I can't find it.

Now the headlights and taillights and brake lights work fine. If I turn the hazards on they go about 3 times and blow the 20 amp fuse. This is a new problem.

Any suggestions?

68 MM1 (Turbine Bronze) R/T

BronzeOnSteelies

I found a shorted wire to the right dash turn signal light. Pulled it away from the metal it was grounding on and the hazards worked.

It turns out the hazard flasher is mounted on the right side of the ashtray/cigarette lighter "box". The other flasher hanging down just left of the radio is for the turn signals. I have a 70 wiring diagram and the wire colors check out. I need to get a new one and see if that is all that was fried. The fuse don't blow anymore either so that is real progress finally.

OttawaCharger

That's good to know.  All the wiring in my car is just kinda hanging there right now.  :rotz:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

BronzeOnSteelies

I spoke a little too soon, A new flasher is not the answer on the turn signals. I still need help. Hazards still work but turn signals are all dead in the water. I am not getting it and it is driving me nuts.

If it was the turn signal switch wouldn't it likely take out just one side?

Chryco Psycho

often a trun signal switch will take out just one side or 1 corner as the front & rear use a different wire to allow the brake lights to work on the rear only so ti very well could be a bad TS switch

BronzeOnSteelies

Thanks Psycho

My R/T has a plain Charger Steering Wheel. Not a "ralleye" wheel like I see on most R/T's with the console (mine has a buddy seat)

How do I get that steering wheel off to get at the TS switch. Does the Mopar logo come off in the middle of the wheel?

roger01

yes ....take a small flat screw driver and work it of like taking a rim off a tire

squeakfinder

I've had problems with the connector on the bottom side of the steering column coming apart. Its where the turn signal wiring plugs into the under dash harness. Your going to be unplugging it there anyway, so moving it around and pushing it together with the ignition and turn signal switch on might give you some interesting results.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

BronzeOnSteelies

Rots, I hope not too interesting. They were working so I will look for that connector first.

Thanks guys I will let you know how this works out.

smokinrt

my restorstion book said not to use turn signal or press on brakes when flasher is on, this will make funny things happen.  Check that out.
Good luck

smokinrt

BronzeOnSteelies

I found a short in a wire in the rocker panel. Replaced the turn signal switch with a yearone purchase and signals work now.

Finally
:icon_smile_wink:

squeakfinder

Cool! When you say rocker panel are you talking about the lower quarter panel? I'm just curious as to where the week link was.
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

71charger_fan

Whoa! You'd better watch that language on the internet. Children might be present. $#@!%!$#@ is a pretty strong word. Much stronger, I believe, than the $%^& that got me cautioned on Moparts.  :icon_smile_blackeye: