News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rim offset questions.....................

Started by bksfld68, August 18, 2005, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bksfld68

Hi all -

I have a question for all with knowledge of rim offsets.  I am looking at some aftermarket wheels that support the Charger's bolt pattern but am not sure about the offsets.  The manufacturer told me that their wheels are built with a + 20 and + 40 offset.  Does anyone know if these offsets would work with our Chargers, mine is a 68.  Thanks for any help.

Ryan

Mefirst

If my memory serves me correct, the bolt pattern on Mopar rims should be 4.5"..

The crucial thing to concider is the rims backspacing when you buy a rim. Ex. the rear wheel well on a Charger looks big, but in reality its not that wide cause it curves inwards. Another thing to remember is tire size.. Ex. A 295/50R15 tire can be wider than a 325/50R15 tire or these tires can be exactly the same widht. For some reason, a thing I dont understand, tire manufacturers dont seem to follow any real widht/hight standard on tires... So you need to know exactly how wide the tire is that you want under your ride...

You can fit 10" rims in the rear of the Charger. The backspacing of the rim should be 5" or 5.5" depending on what tire you are going to use.
I have 325/50R15 Racemaster tires on a 10" rim with 5" of backspacing. This combo fits perfect. If you dont want the 10" you can use a 8" rim with 3.5" or 4" backspacing.. The rule of thumb is that you want the rims middle point to be in the middle of your cars wheel well..

With front rim/tires it gets a little more tricky cause you want the tire/rim to turn inside the wheel well without rubbing..
My old front rims were 8" wide with 3.75" OR 4.75" backspacing (I need to check this!!!) with a tire that is 225/60R15. I bought new rims that are only 4" wide and have a backspacing of 2" with a tire that measures 185/65R15 (The reason for narrow tires is that I want as little drag as possible from the front tires at the track. Narrow rims/tires like this is NOT good for street use!)

So.. You have to decide first what rims you want, then decide what tires you want on the rims, check the tire overall widht, also hight -IMPORTANT! Then check the needed backspacing front and back depending on the rim widht and overall tire widht..

Hope youll find a good rim/tire combo, or ask and we will help you with this...

/Tom

SpudRacer

Only 2 months ago, I installed Centerline Convo-Pro 15 x 10" rims with 5" of backspacing on the back.  Once the rims came in and I trial fit them. I considered BF Goodrich Drag T/A II 325 tires, but the clearance would have been 1/4" per my calculations, so I decided to go with Goodyear Eagle GT II 295/50/15 in the rear.

As for the front, I wanted to go with 5" backspacing as well so I could try to stuff 275s, but it seemed that 5" backspace would hit the upper arm, so I settled for 3-1/2" backspace by 7" wide.  I then installed BF Goodrich 245/60/15 tires.  The height of these matches exactly the rears.

With this tire combo, the car looks world better than with the stock "skinny as rails" tires.

I'll post photos or email them if desired,

Tom
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise