News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

alternative to fuel vapor separator

Started by Silver R/T, July 27, 2006, 01:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver R/T

I just dont know if I can spend $60 on one. What would be cheaper option? Its basically fuel filter with 3 inlets or i am wrong
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Just 6T9 CHGR

Wrong...spend the $60......actually I doubt they are only $60 now.......actually more like $80+
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Purolator makes a fuel filter very close in dimension and pipes sticking out it, but it's a "filter". The Charger's cannister is a vapor separator. So the filter will have some sort of membrane/filtering device inside. Whereas the vapor separator simply has some baffles to allow vapor to escape through the return line. It might hinder in the performance of the vehicle.
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

4402tuff4u

hemigeno

The Vapor Separator does double-duty as a filter too.  Here's a quote from the service manual:

The separator is serviced as an assembly only and consists of a sealed can, a filter screen, an inlet and outlet fitting and a metered orifice outlet fitting for the return line to the fuel tank

Later on they give procedures on how to check to see if the filter screen is restricted or plugged, so apparently they expected it to pick up some crud from the system.  I can scan in the picture if needed, but my scanner is buried at the moment and I'm postponing that paperwork  excavation operaton as long as possible...  :P

Just 6T9 CHGR

I scaned these a while back for someone.......

As you can see the vapor seperator is much more than "basically fuel filter with 3 inlets"

PS----silver r/t.....a FSM is a MUST have if your wondering how to change front shocks.... :thumbs:

PSS---is that the "online" price that hasnt been updated in years or did you actually speak to Jimmy?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on July 27, 2006, 08:59:41 PM

As you can see the vapor seperator is much more than "basically fuel filter with 3 inlets"

PS----silver r/t.....a FSM is a MUST have if your wondering how to change front shocks.... :thumbs:

PSS---is that the "online" price that hasnt been updated in years or did you actually speak to Jimmy?

I paid $59.00 for one about 3 months ago.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Good to hear Mike...I just figured like everything else these would go up as well......
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Silver R/T

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on July 27, 2006, 08:59:41 PM

whats FSM
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

Silver, those are three words I thought you'd know.  ;)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on July 31, 2006, 08:39:13 AM
Silver, those are three words I thought you'd know. ;)
He's asking how to install front shocks........how would he know that?  :scratchchin: ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

bill440rt

Wowee.
Wouldn't it seem that someone with almost 3800 posts would have learned something from this 'site by now??  :shruggy: :image_294343:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

gtx6970

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on July 28, 2006, 05:29:57 AM

I paid $59.00 for one about 3 months ago.

Does it have the lettering stamped into the top and bottom of the can like  it's supposed to ? Theres two companies making seperators, one is right and one is wrong

4402tuff4u

I believe mine did not have any numbers on it. Mopars by Crane (941-322-1121; www.moparsbycrane.com) also carries them at $ 69.00.

myk

Do any of you guys run an additional fuel filter in addition to the separator?  I had my fuel lines replaced a few years ago, and the 'tech installed the separator and another filter between the pump and the 'carb.  I thought that the vapor separator was supposed to be a fuel filter, but the 'tech says that you can never have fuel that's too clean.  Isn't this a little much?  If it is, I'll just remove the additional filter...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

4402tuff4u

Quote from: myk on August 10, 2006, 02:29:49 PM
Do any of you guys run an additional fuel filter in addition to the separator?  I had my fuel lines replaced a few years ago, and the 'tech installed the separator and another filter between the pump and the 'carb.  I thought that the vapor separator was supposed to be a fuel filter, but the 'tech says that you can never have fuel that's too clean.  Isn't this a little much?  If it is, I'll just remove the additional filter...

If you got room for a filter between the carb and pump, and you don't care for the "stock/original" look, then it can't hurt. I don't know what carb you are running, but does'nt your carb have one of those stone/screen filters at the carb?

myk

I've got the 750cfm Edelbrock.  I'd really like to take out that secondary filter, as I've been planning to sheath my pump to 'carb line in heat resistant material because I've seen my fuel actually boiling/bubbling in the filter which is a see-through type.  Ultimately though, I think I'd rather have cleaner fuel rather than cooler fuel...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

8WHEELER

I always run a clear Mopar filter before the pump, and still have the separator hooked up. I have been behind
a car, going to a car show 2hrs out of town. His car started bucking away, yep his $60 separator was clogged.
I would much rather replaced a basic inexpensive filter, than spend $60, and wait for it to come in the mail
to fix the car.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

myk

So, run the clear filter before the separator-good idea.  That way I can have both filters on, protect the more expensive separator, AND be able to completely sheath my upper fuel lines in heat reflective material...

Chryco Psycho

I never run a filter on the suction side of the pump , a slightly dirty fiter can restrict flow , pressure side is far better 

8WHEELER

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 12, 2006, 12:43:46 PM
I never run a filter on the suction side of the pump , a slightly dirty fiter can restrict flow , pressure side is far better 

I agree, but if you are running the vapor separator, there is no more room for a regular filter, they a huge.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

myk

The only reason I'm able to run a secondary filter between the pump and 'carb is because of my rubber fuel line.  If I had the stock steel line I wouldn't have room either...

myk

Got a question for you guys: After replacing my fuel pump and hooking everything back up, I noticed that the rubber fuel line that I use between the pump and the separator is forced to shape itself into a sharply bent "L" in order to make the distance of the pump and the separator; this has got to be a problem, at least in high RPM's right?  I ordered the steel fuel line that's supposed to go between the pump and the separator but when I received it one end of it had a screw-on type fitting.  Well, my "stock" replacement fuel pump, not to mention all of the other "stock" replacement pumps I've seen, don't have a screw-on type fitting so how's that supposed to work?  Looking at the shop manual also shows the pump that I have to be correctly shaped with press-on inlets and outlets, but in later diagrams with the pump mounted it suddenly has a screw-on fitting?  I really don't want to go back to the sharply bent rubber-hose setup, as I strongly suspect that's causing fuel delivery problems...

hemigeno

I have two of the M4434 fuel pumps, which is the stock 440HP pumps.  Both have one fitting for a rubber hose & clamp, and one screw-on type fitting for the steel fuel line stub.  I can see where using a short length of rubber hose going to the separator might put quite a kink in it - guess that's why the factory went with that short section of steel line.

Maybe try using a longer length of rubber fuel line to take the kink out of it??  For the spot-on factory look, you would need to change out the pump though...

Geno