News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Removing chrome from bumpers?

Started by Rack, July 18, 2006, 12:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rack

What is the best way to remove chrome from bumpers? Would sand blasting get it done?

Thanks

73 Charger 440

Ive heard of some guys using a torch or then taking them to a chrome shop to be stripped... I dont know for sure.

MonsterMopars

A chrome shop is best, its done electronically and doesnt damage the bumper.
Mopar Auctions at www.bidmonsteronline.com

Rack

Quotetaking them to a chrome shop to be stripped

Quote from: MonsterMopars on July 18, 2006, 10:58:50 AM
A chrome shop is best, its done electronically and doesnt damage the bumper.

Cool. Now I just have to find a chrome shop.  :yesnod:

Thanks, fellas.

-  Bobby

hotrod98

Why would you want to remove the chrome from your bumper? If you're rechroming them, the plating shop takes care of that and if you're painting them, it's not necessary to remove the chrome. Just curious.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Rack

Quote from: hotrod98 on July 19, 2006, 03:36:44 PM
Why would you want to remove the chrome from your bumper? If you're rechroming them, the plating shop takes care of that and if you're painting them, it's not necessary to remove the chrome. Just curious.

Hmmm, I didn't know that.

However, there is already chrome worn off on some parts of the bumper, and still intact on other parts. Probably better to make the whole surface constant before I paint it. The different textures would probably show up after it's painted.

Maybe it would be better to get it rechromed then paint it?

jaak

80 grit paper on a DA sander, then use an etching primer b4 you paint

Jason

73 Charger 440

Quote from: jaak on July 20, 2006, 02:50:19 PM
80 grit paper on a DA sander, then use an etching primer b4 you paint

Jason

Didnt know that either, good to know :)

Mike DC

Whoa, whoa, whoa . . .

If you want to replate chrome bumpers, then removing the old chrome with any method of sanding/grinding is a bad idea.  My local chrome shop told me it will make the chrome job cost MORE than if you just leave the old chrome on.  The chrome shop removes the old layer chemically as the first step in the replating job.  They need a smooth surface for the chroming, and any method of sanding/grinding just makes more work for them.

BigBlockSam

Whoa, whoa, whoa . . .

If you want to replate chrome bumpers, then removing the old chrome with any method of sanding/grinding is a bad idea.  My local chrome shop told me it will make the chrome job cost MORE than if you just leave the old chrome on.  The chrome shop removes the old layer chemically as the first step in the replating job.  They need a smooth surface for the chroming, and any method of sanding/grinding just makes more work for them. 

:yesnod:
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

73 Charger 440

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 21, 2006, 12:57:32 AM

Whoa, whoa, whoa . . .

I believe he meant for painting purposes. I know Chrome shops want the metal to be already shiny/reflective/smooth (fine sanded and polished) prior to chroming.

Rack

Yeah I'm gonna paint it (or powder coat it) anyway so I guess the sanding bit will still work.

That's still good info to have though, Mike. I didn't know that. Thanks.

dkn1997

Norwaycharger used this paint called "mirachrome"  a company called Alsa makes it.  I dont' know if he used it on bumpers, but he did use on some '68 tailights and they look really nice.  stuff is expensive, but can be applied with a simple airbrush.
RECHRGED

73 Charger 440

Quote from: dkn1997 on July 23, 2006, 08:40:02 AM
Norwaycharger used this paint called "mirachrome"  a company called Alsa makes it.  I dont' know if he used it on bumpers, but he did use on some '68 tailights and they look really nice.  stuff is expensive, but can be applied with a simple airbrush.

I thought that stuff needed a machine to be done? (a special machine made by the company), could be thinking of a different product though.

Rack

I just checked the also site, the mirrachrome is actually a paint substitute not a remover. They probably do sell a chrome remover, but I couldn't find it on their site.

dodgecharger-fan

I think he meant to use it to paint the bumper instead of getting it re-chromed.

Then, you could just go ahead and sand the existing chrome off, then finish it with the mirrachrome system.

I remember NorwayCharger's post on that stuff. Amazing! You can clearcoat it too. It could make for easy touch-ups when you get a scratch..
Tough as chrome - no, I don't think so. But still, a pretty neat system.

Rack

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on July 23, 2006, 06:44:17 PM
I think he meant to use it to paint the bumper instead of getting it re-chromed.

Then, you could just go ahead and sand the existing chrome off, then finish it with the mirrachrome system.

I remember NorwayCharger's post on that stuff. Amazing! You can clearcoat it too. It could make for easy touch-ups when you get a scratch..

Well the reason I'm wanting to remove the chrome is because I don't want chrome on my bumpers. If I wanted chrome on my bumpers I'd have them rechromed (and it would save me a lot of money compared to the mirrachrome system).

I'm gonna end up powder coating my bumpers.

dkn1997

Quote from: 73 Charger 440 on July 23, 2006, 12:46:42 PM

I thought that stuff needed a machine to be done? (a special machine made by the company), could be thinking of a different product though.

THEY do make a product that requires a machine, you can see the machine in some of the demo videos on the site.  but the mirachrome just uses a small hvlp gun.

I think it could be pretty tough because you can clear cote it.   probably not the best solution for bumpers, where there is so much surface area, but for small parts like 68 tailights, side markers, you could probably do alright with it.  it's really expensive, something like 140 bucks a quart, or pint.  but would probably cost less than chrome.  might work well on our dashbezels.
RECHRGED

Doc74

I think everything's been said, lemme lay it out a bit more if I may.

For re chroming : leave as is, the chrome shop removes the old chrome, some shops want clean polished pieces, most places in my experience also don't give the quality I expect, many apparently have a technique where the chrome actually looks painted on with a brush !
Simple solution..pick another shop, seriously, shop around, talk to the owner, let him show you the result of their work, YOU are customer, YOU are king, I treat my customers the same, anyone can see my work from up close in all stages of the process.

Removing chrome to paint or powdercoat : Either bring it to a chrome shop, any will do now since all they have to do is dunk it in a big tub and press a button. The piece will return bare metal but will need sanding to make it smooth, anyone will be able to do this though. Depending on rates, this is not a bad option.

Second option, the more diy type is the trusty da sander and heavy coarse paper...for starters.
Sand the chrome off starting with grit 60 or 80, I'd leave 40 for people who have experience sanding since this can cause damage to the piece. Remember a grinding disc is grit 36, not a lot of difference there so nuff said.

Work you're way up to 220 to have it ready for a washprimer followed by 2-3 coats of a high solid sanding primer.
If you want the piece powdercoated you are done after sanding, they will take care of the rest, when in doubt, call to find out.

Anyone can google around, fill the tub with chemicals and get the job done, a more likely scenario however sees one running for his life and signing the divorce papers.

The chrome paints are very diverse, some need special equipment, others use a three layer system where you need to apply it over a base coat such as silver, black, white,  creating the desired effect (black helps you create midnight chrome)

There's not one paint on the market that looks like real chrome but it doesn't mean they're not good looking. Norwaycharger used it on the taillight trim and altough it couldn't pass for chrome it gives it an entirely different, even updated look and I for one like it.
My colleague painted his classic Honda bike spoke rims in midnight chrome effect, it can't be taken for chrome but it looks stellar none the less.

Btw if you want to be creative...everyone knows the marble paint effect, you can do this with chromepaint and a color, it's insane.. partially because of the price of materials but it's a headturner.

Rack

dodgecharger-fan

Quote from: Rack on July 23, 2006, 06:50:10 PM

Well the reason I'm wanting to remove the chrome is because I don't want chrome on my bumpers. If I wanted chrome on my bumpers I'd have them rechromed (and it would save me a lot of money compared to the mirrachrome system).

Understood. I was just explaining that dkn was suggesting mirachrome as a finish - not recommending them for a chrome remover product.

Rack

Quote from: dodgecharger-fan on August 01, 2006, 01:33:40 PM
Quote from: Rack on July 23, 2006, 06:50:10 PM

Understood. I was just explaining that dkn was suggesting mirachrome as a finish - not recommending them for a chrome remover product.

Oh ok, gotcha.  ;)