News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Our Daytona Clone...Should I Put The Plug In?

Started by A383Wing, August 20, 2005, 11:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

Question for all....below are a couple of pictures of the car we built from nothing....we kinda ran out of money to do the whole car correctly.....my question is this....should we tear the car down and put in the rear window plug? Or leave it the way it is....  :shruggy:

Bryan   :drive:

THE CHARGER PUNK

Wakko

I personally think that it looks great just the way it is.  If it bothers you, what would it cost to plug it up? 
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

bull

Old Moparz

If you don't have the money, then don't do it. Just drive & enjoy the car the way it is, it looks very nice. If you aren't happy without the plug, then save up to do it that way, & don't start it until you can afford to. (Nothing worse than an unfinished project with no money to finish it.) Personally, I wouldn't put in the plug for several reasons. It is an expensive addition, I never liked the look of the rear window being flush as much as being recessed, it's easier to convert it back if you decided to do that, & I have no interest in trying to pass mine off as a real one. I also like the nose & wing a heck of a lot more than the plug.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

hotrod98

The great debate goes on. While it's going to be a lot of work, I've decided to plug my Daytona clone. It just looks so unfinished without it. It's like something's missing. As soon as mine is finished, we're building my wife a semi-clone. She wants her's to have just the wing and fender scoops. She also wants it painted to match her 73 cuda. We've already ordered two sets of wings from Dane so the decision has been made.

I say go for it.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: A383Wing on August 20, 2005, 11:19:42 PM
Question for all....below are a couple of pictures of the car we built from nothing....we kinda ran out of money to do the whole car correctly.....my question is this....should we tear the car down and put in the rear window plug? Or leave it the way it is....   :shruggy:

Bryan     :drive:

If my car looked that good I'd be too busy cruisin the wheels off of it to worry about the plug.   :drive:

hotrod98

I've created a monster. My wife's been winning car shows with that car everywhere she goes this year...trophies and cash. She hands me the trophy and keeps the cash.
With that fuel injected 5.9 and overdrive she gets 25 mpg and drives it like it's stolen.  :icon_smile_big:

Charles Addams

hotrod98

A383wing,
I agree with allbluert. Most people don't have a clue that the back glass is different. It's more a mopar guy thing than anything else. I only recently decided to add the plug to my list and I still wonder if it's the right thing to do sometimes. I have to admit, that I only noticed the difference a few years ago and I've been looking at them since 1970. Your car looks so nice, you may want to drive it for a while. Then if it ever gets a scratch in the paint, just use that as an excuse to install the plug...you know...since it has to have paint repair anyway.  :icon_smile_big:

This is a pic of a car that I saw at St. Louis last year.

Charles Addams

Daytona Guy

Here is some things to consider.

Bryan I have made 9 Daytona's and only half have had the rear plug.   I loved everyone of them.   I have seen your car in person and it is indeed a beautiful car. Every car that someone does takes on it's own personality.

Pros and cons. (I am assuming you will be using a Vega rear plug in drawing my conclusions)

Pros
Since your car is complete and has a perfect real wing, and a well put together nose and valance you are so close to having a complete Daytona. (Understanding "complete" is a relative word.)

Putting the plug in is only one step compared to having to make a complete clone from scratch.

If you are considering repainting your car, then putting the plug in will not be as hard of a pill to swallow.

If you put the plug in - it increases the value by about 10K.

I have had both. The plug is a challenge that will tax you, stretch you and take the life out of you. But, in the end, it is worth it.

You will not have to hear people talk about the plug missing.

Cons.
You have a great car and you get to drive it and enjoy it now. With all the shock and awe of a real Daytona.

You will need to get a new headliner.

Cut your trunck.

Extend your hinges.

Recreate the rear interior window molding mounts and molding.

If you do not have the funds, then the question is mute. You have an awesome car -   enjoy it.

You can always add a plug down the road.

Hope that helps -

hotrod98

The best pic that I have.

Charles Addams

Silver R/T

unless you were selling it I wouldnt put it in
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

2fast4u

IMHO  I would leave the rear window as is!!   But the one thing that I think would make it look better in the back would be to have the trim around the 70 tail lamps be the original chrome instead of black......cause you can't really see the taillights back there and makes it look like less of a charger without the chrome around there!

I think the 70 trim looks better on the daytona....clone or original.....when it's painted right up to the tallights!

2fast
DODGE CHARGER--Fuel for Living!

THE CHARGER PUNK

i say recreate the 70 r/t se special.-MATT

FastbackJon

Definitly plug it up! Just looks lacking without it in my opinion.

Oh, and don't forget them chrome A-pillar covers!

;)

"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

5.9_Liter_Grand_Cherokee

Bryan  Why would you want to mess up that purple paint??  My vote no plug.  Chris

PS  Are you thinking about going to sunbust?  I might be looking for something to drive.  i can provide my own gas.
Formerly chargerdaytona477

6pkrunner

Plug it. The plug is just as much part of the package as the wing, nose, deflectors, fender scoops/clearance etc.

cudaken

When I was doing a clone, I wanted the plug. But I also knew that it was going to be a big pain. Slug it self was not what bother me as much as cutting down the trunk.

The George's told me not to do it, Ted Janka said to do it. I was told that the slug could crack around where it was joined to the roof. I seen that at every drag strip I been to,  where a glass hood was boned to a steel hood. Guess that is why people are using the Vega rear glass and hatch back. Hum, where would even find a Vega in the mid west anyway? They rusted worst than our Charger's!

With the car being done, it would be tuff to start all over.

Only thing I have left of the Daytona part's is a pair of rear front turing singals, rear wing bolts and front rail's to the nose. Well still have the Charger.

By the way, reason I did not do it? Got tired of waiting for part's, only one shippment in abiut a year.

Cuda Ken
I am back

BigBlockSam

howdy
  i  dig your car, great lines.  putting the plug in is a personal decision. most people won't notice it. it would bother me not to have the plug installed. just wouldn't be complete without it. to me. if it doesn't bother you don't do it. i would.
Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

So.........with all the controversy, will you plug it or not?   :icon_smile_big:

I'll almost contradict myself here. I say that if you really do want an accurate copy of a Daytona, then what the others said above is right, it looks unfinished so you'll need the plug. I notice the difference right away at shows or in photos, but only because I'm almost fanatical about wing cars. What Dane (Daytona Guy) & Cuda Ken said about the plug being a PITA, is one of the other reasons I won't do it myself. I'm more of a fan of custom cars than stock, but by no means will I degrade a stock resto with crayon marks. I appreciate both directions people go when they resurrect an old car no matter what.

Another minor difference for me, is that the VIN will say it isn't a Daytona, so a plug won't matter either. It's all personal preference though, so if you like & want the plug, save up for it to do it.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

BigBlockSam

to anyone thats installed a plug. how many man hours do you think it takes to install. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

thallium

If you have the resources and 'know how' to put the plug in, I say do it.   Myself, I know I am not skilled enough to do it yet even though I would like to have the plug. So I'm not doing the plug, but I still think it looks nice without the plug.   Most people will not know the differnce about the plug, only us mopar freaks will know.     Your car is very nice, I would probably leave it alone if you do not have the time, money, and know how to finish it(unless it really really really bothers you), it looks really nice now.

KMPX2

It is not the same with out the plug. Do it.

BigBlockSam

QuoteIt is not the same with out the plug. Do it.   

:iagree:  makes it kinda real

PlumBad70

Hey mike, Heres the black and silver daytona at st. louis, its a little better pic
Steve
1970 Charger R/T Sublime
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi 4x4