News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

window channel rust

Started by 73chargers4404, August 13, 2006, 10:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chargers4404

theres couple of place in the window channel that have  light pitting and a couple of small holes how is this fixed ive herd of people filling them with lead or copper is this true ,and do you sand it flat

73chargers4404

and i forgot to add im getting it media blasted with wallnut hull.

Drop Top

Depending on how bad the rust is. You shouldn't use lead over any kind of holes. It will eventually sink through the holes. It needs to be welded up first or if its really bad a new piece needs to be welded in. I don't like brazing although its used alot because its easy. But brazing is a weaker weld then gas, tig or mig welding. Another thing about brazing that I don't like is once you hav done it. That area will be contaminated and then if you have to fix it later you will have to cut it out compleatly and replace it. In some cases POR-15 will work in areas like this. It all depends on just how bad it really is.

Walnut Shells works well to remove paint from your car and wont hurt your sheat metal. But it leaves an oilly film behind. So before you spray any kind of primer on your body pieces be sure you clean off all the residue first. Another thing dont fix your rusty window channel entil after you have the car blasted. You might find more rust after the car is striped of its paint.

TylerCharger69

don't make that decision until the media blasting is complete.   The rust you may see  could end up being a little, or a lot more, once the paint is stripped off.

Ghoste

What do you prefer to use as a cleaner after walnut shells?  Or any media blasting for that matter?

TylerCharger69

once again...lacquer thinner  or some reducer

Drop Top

Its best to use a metal wash. Thinner and/or reducer is an oil bass product and will leave residue behind. I have seen it make a fish eye problem. Metal wash/ condishener will remove everything including small surface rust issues that might be starting to occure. PPG and DuPont among others make this product. After using this to clean your bare metal never touch the metal with your bare hands. Use medical rubber gloves the oil from your hands will transfer to the metal and rust will start to form. Get a good bare metal primer on it as soon as posable.