News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aluminum Valve Covers - Grommets?

Started by 1970440RT, August 23, 2006, 09:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970440RT

Hopefully the answer to this is simple,

A while back I bought a set of the Mopar black wrinkle finish aluminum valve covers used.  I could not see anything wrong with them except that all 4 holes had been punched.  I figured it would be easy to find breathers and PCV's and such to fill the holes but I'm stuck on the last one. 

On the driver's side, I have the PCV valve and oil fill cap.  All good on this side no problem.

On the passenger side, I have a screw on type breather on the firewall end of the cover and nothing to go in the other  hole.  I assume it is for a PCV valve ( since the covers are interchangeable from side to side ) but I already have a PCV on the driver side.  I would rather not put another PCV on the motor even if it is to plug a hole.  I have purchased all the sets of grommets from Mopar and tried a myriad of breathers but can't find anything that fits this small front hole. 

Ideally I would like to find a breather to fit that hole, but the I.D. of the rubber grommet is 3/4" and much smaller than any breather I have.  I could then take the screw on type breather out of the firewall end hole and cap it with an oil fill cap.

Any one have any suggestions?  Any one have this problem before?  There has got to be a simple fix but I can't seem to figure it out.

Chryco Psycho

Mopar sells a correct grommet kit for the alum cover , I would open the hole up so the larger breather will fit into the other cover , the idea is to have a clean place to draw air into the engine [breather ] & have a place to burn off the air from inside the engine on the other side [PCV valve] to work correctly

1970440RT

So that is possible, to open up the smaller hole even more to fit the larger style breather?  I did not want to enlarge the hole and chance ruining the cover.  It looks like the hole that is there was made to meet flush against a boss that is cast into the underside of the cover.  I didn't know it was OK or not to cut past this.  I'm sure you have a ton more experience with these valve covers than I do, so I'll go with whatever you suggest or have done for your customers in the past.  Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

for a part made for Mopar By mopar it should work better , I have opened them up with a die grinder i nthe past to fit a stock breather into them though , there is a lot of meat there to work with

myk

I decided it was time to change my valve cover gaskets, unfortunately when I tried to take them off-I couldn't!  I was rapping on these things with rubber mallets, climbing into the engine bay and pushing with my feet, etc.  What do you guys recommend?  I guess I could try taking them off with the motor hot, thus making everything more loose? 

-And yes, they were unbolted...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

dodge freak

You need to pry them off, not hit. Now some bend more than others so be carefull , take a large screwdriver or pry bar and find a spot between the intake manifold and valve cover which you can wedge a screwdriver in and try to pop them loose. All you need is to get it to lift a little bit and work around, it come off, hitting it won't do it.

myk

Pry them off.  I think I can handle that.  My car and my driveway thanks you!
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"