News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Whirly Jig Rotisserie

Started by B5 Charger, August 22, 2005, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

B5 Charger

Anybody ever used a Whirly Jig before.  I am about to break down and buy a rotisserie and this one looks about the best.  Any feedback out there????

PocketThunder

Yes, my old roommates bought one and we used it for my buddies 66 Chevelle resto.  It was very nice to use and i wont do another resto without one.  I think they paid $1500 for theirs.,  but that was 5 years ago.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

694spdRT

That is what I did the '69 on. Dad and I went in on it together. His '59 Plymouth Sport Fury is the next one up.

No complaints with the set up. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

#s Matching

B5, where are you looking?   Do you have any links?

I think a rotisserie is the only way to go for a resto!

I believe someone posted spec's for building your own on the old D-C.com site.   Does anyone have this info?
#s Matching - 74 Charger SE, 74 Charger Rallye, 69 Charger R/T

Drop Top

I have tow rotisseries in my shop. I built my first one. That is the one that I use the most. The second one I bought from someone that purchased it new for his restoration. When he was done with it he sold it for about half of what he paid for it. If your going to do a compleat ground up and can afford to get or build one. Then definitely get one. It will make everthing go much smoother. there are sometimes I wish I had another.

#s Matching

Drop Top, how much did materials and supplies cost your for your home built unit?

B5 Charger

I started to build my own and ran into a bunch of problems so I decided that buying one from somebody who knows what they're doing was the better option.  Whirly Jig seems to be the best in the business http://www.whirlyjig.com/ .  I called them today for some prices and spoke to a guy who was super friendly and helpfull.  The price info is below:

Standard Model:  $1,250.00
Off-Road Rear Wheels:  $200.00
Off-Road Front Swivel Wheels:  $250.00
Hydraulic Jacks:  $75.00

Shipping:  $150.00
Crate Fee (Refundable):  $65.00

I could drive there and pick it up saving myself about $115.00 in shipping and crate fees.  I will have to have the optional off-road wheels so I am looking at a minimum of $1,700.00.  Looks like I will be saving up for that purchase.  The good thing is that it comes with a lifetime transferable warranty so I could sell it after I am done and recover some of my investment.

694spdRT

The Whirly jig we bought was the blue "commercial" model.

I am not sure what they sell now. Ours uses car jacks and has a level adjustment on the front.

We paid about $1,200 if I remember right. We did not need the off road wheels.

Here are a few pics of it.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

#s Matching

Thanx for the pics 694spdRT and the link B5!

I was checking out 69hemi's web site http://www.69hemi.com/ and he has a special section for the rotisserie.   It has an exploded view diagram and a detailed supply list.   Definitely worth checking out   :yesnod:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: B5 Charger on August 22, 2005, 10:28:18 AM
Anybody ever used a Whirly Jig before.   I am about to break down and buy a rotisserie and this one looks about the best.   Any feedback out there????

I've got a Whirly-jig. It's positively the best money I've ever spent on a tool for the garage, period.

Buy one, you won't be sorry!

Drop Top

I built mine before you could really buy a nice one (Around 1991). I bought it because all you could find where the ones without the jacks on the ends. They were not made very well and sold for over $1200.00. I made a cable system on both ends to lift the car off the ground with and a crank system to turn the car over with and big hard tires on it. I origanally built it and used it in my Plastic Media Blasting business So the big tires made it easy to move around on top of the media. I had at the time around $600.00 in it.  The second one that I bought has a jack system to lift the car off the ground with and works just as well as my other one dose. But it doesn't have the crank system on it. Thats why I use the home made one the most.

DC_1

Here is a link to some plans I came across with complete bill of material, sizes, pictures and instructions.

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/Editorial_20.htm

Looks to be one of the best set of plans I have seen on line.

DC

B5 Charger

694speedR/T how do you move it around the shop.  Does it come with standard wheels?  I only want the off-road wheels because I will have to load it on and off a trailer to get it to the soda blaster, body shop, etc.

694spdRT

Quote from: B5 Charger on August 24, 2005, 04:29:42 PM
694speedR/T how do you move it around the shop.  Does it come with standard wheels?  I only want the off-road wheels because I will have to load it on and off a trailer to get it to the soda blaster, body shop, etc.

I can't remember if the regular wheels are standard or if they cost a little extra. How ours works is the rear 2 hard wheels are fixed and the front is designed to be moved with a floor jack. Works fine for us...if you have gravel or any other surface our setup would not work very well.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

70plumrt

does anyone have a used one for sale?