News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiper Linkage Restoration

Started by Shakey, August 28, 2006, 08:06:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I just did the wiper linkage for my 1969 Charger and thought I'd share.

Pretty straightforward task, as long as you have all of the necessary items to complete the job.

I used the wire wheel to remove all of the light surface rust.  I soaked the pivots with some penetrating oil and they spin freely now.

A coat of self etching primer and then some Eastwood's Detail Gray.

I cleaned up all of the bushings, bought a new wiper seal kit and a couple hours later it was all complete.  All ready to be stuffed into a box and stored in the basement.   :'(

A few pics for you.

Chatt69chgr

Where did you get the "wiper seal kit". 

Shakey

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on August 28, 2006, 01:07:07 PM

Year One or Layson's has them.  I think there are a few others that sell them also.

The kit contains the two white gaskets and the the two black pivot seals and comes with some strip caulk.  $12.00 - $15.00 USD depending where you buy it.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

gtx6970

Quote from: Shakey on August 28, 2006, 02:20:59 PM

Year One or Layson's has them.  I think there are a few others that sell them also.

The kit contains the two white gaskets and the the two black pivot seals and comes with some strip caulk.  $12.00 - $15.00 USD depending where you buy it.

Huh, I can beat that.

Shakey

Quote from: gtx6970 on August 31, 2006, 10:53:32 PM

Huh, I can beat that.

I was at Layson's last week.  I paid $12.00 USD.  My other stuff's on it's way to the farm - right? 

UPDATE & EDIT:

Instead of installing the zerk fittings, I drilled a small hole and injected the grease directly into the pivot housing.  I used heat shrink as a seal.

runningman

Shakey, did you take the pivots apart to do this??

Shakey

Chatt69chgr

Shakey------I really appreciate your posts concerning your restoration.  I like the way you take an area and do a post on it showing the "before" and "after" and discuss the materials and methods you used.  And the subsequent posts by others just amplify the area you covered.  I have been saving these and updating my saved copy whenever someone adds relavent information. 

Administrators------Threads like these ought to be put in a Restoration Reference section so they could be quickly accessed by newcomers to the site.

Shakey

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on May 22, 2007, 06:50:18 PM
Shakey------I really appreciate your posts concerning your restoration.  I like the way you take an area and do a post on it showing the "before" and "after" and discuss the materials and methods you used.  And the subsequent posts by others just amplify the area you covered.  I have been saving these and updating my saved copy whenever someone adds relavent information. 

Administrators------Threads like these ought to be put in a Restoration Reference section so they could be quickly accessed by newcomers to the site.

Well thank you.

I appreciate what others have offered with regards to my questions about restoring this car and feel rather than just take, I must also give back to the site and this is the best way I know how.

It's good to know my efforts are appreciated.  Thanks again.

moparguy01

Good post shakey. Did you have as much fun trying to fit that upper bushing on as I did the last time I did one? like stuffing 10 pounds of s*#t in a 5 pound bag.  :icon_smile_big:

mike337

Shakey, I am trying to follow your lead on reconditioning my wiper arm assembly, and have a few questions.

1. What diameter size heat shrink did you use on the pivots?

2. You indicate using the heat shrink instead of zerk fittings.  Is installing zerk fittings an accepted alternate way to provide the grease?

3. Can white lithium grease be used for this as well?  I have searched auto parts stores for grease in a tube that can be used for this type application, and that was all I could find in a tube.

4. Is it easy to tell when you have drilled through the outer housing of the pivot?  I would hate to damage the inner shaft, or drill too far into the pivot.

Thanx,
Mike

mysil bergsprekken

wow, good stuff! Good effort. Really, really helpful. Thanks.
69 charger RT

Shakey

Quote from: mike337 on October 27, 2007, 01:18:56 PM
Shakey, I am trying to follow your lead on reconditioning my wiper arm assembly, and have a few questions.

1. What diameter size heat shrink did you use on the pivots?

2. You indicate using the heat shrink instead of zerk fittings.  Is installing zerk fittings an accepted alternate way to provide the grease?

3. Can white lithium grease be used for this as well?  I have searched auto parts stores for grease in a tube that can be used for this type application, and that was all I could find in a tube.

4. Is it easy to tell when you have drilled through the outer housing of the pivot?  I would hate to damage the inner shaft, or drill too far into the pivot.

Thanx,
Mike

Sorry it has taken me this long to repsond as I had just noticed your questions.

1.  I can't remember, but I'd guess it was .5" - 1.0"
2.  Zerk fittings were actually the norm and recomended to me however I figured the drilled hole and the heat shrink would do just as good a job and there would be less chance of the grease leaking out.
3.  I am sure the white lihium grease would work ok but I choose regular bearing grease with a needle attached to fit into the small hole.
4.  I don't recall whether or not it was easy, it is just like when you are with a woman, you need to feel your way gently to see how far you can go.  Just tread lightly with the drill and once you know you've accomplished your goal, pull it out.

bull

I wonder if never seize would be a better alternative than regular grease?

daytonalo

Nice job , just a tip , any paint on those splines will installation and removal of wiper arms extremely difficult , and possible scratch paint
Been there done that , just use stainless brush on splines

Chatt69chgr

Silicone grease or never seize would probably be better but the problem would be the grease gun since I don't think that component comes apart.  I suppose you could buy a bunch of one or the other and put in a mini grease gun like I have seen at Harbor Freight---might be expensive though.  An alternative would possibly be the moly grease.  Good thing about silicone based lubricants is they are not misible with water and they usually have an operating temperature range from -200F or more to +several hundred degrees.  But all in all, what Shakey has come up with is a damn "slick" idea.

bull

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on January 03, 2008, 10:17:03 AM
Silicone grease or never seize would probably be better but the problem would be the grease gun since I don't think that component comes apart.  I suppose you could buy a bunch of one or the other and put in a mini grease gun like I have seen at Harbor Freight---might be expensive though.  An alternative would possibly be the moly grease.  Good thing about silicone based lubricants is they are not misible with water and they usually have an operating temperature range from -200F or more to +several hundred degrees.  But all in all, what Shakey has come up with is a damn "slick" idea.

With an amount that small you could easily jerry rig a squeeze tube with surgical tubing and a bicycle tire needle. Regular grease just breaks down and becomes worthless too quickly in a spot like that that rarely sees the light of day.

gasoline_24

I have seen somewhere how to do this with the grease zerks, but cannot find it now.  Does anyone have any links to that?

Shakey

Quote from: gasoline_24 on January 07, 2008, 08:53:21 PM
I have seen somewhere how to do this with the grease zerks, but cannot find it now.  Does anyone have any links to that?

I don't have any links but I've seen the same deal, which is why I went this route.  From what I recall, there were issues installing the pivots as the fitting sticks out the side and the grease was always leaking out.

I do have some photos that I saved and they're not on this laptop.  When I find them I'll post them.

Steve P.

Top of the line Shakey.. Great post....   I read this a while back and we just did this a week ago on a buddy's GM. We used my impact gun grease pump. Worked like a charm.  ;)   Great post...   :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

green69rt

Just ran across this as I am doing mine.  Now I don't have to reinvent the wheel!

CDN72SE

I've gone back to several of Shakey's threads myself.
1972 Charger SE

nitrousn

Quote from: Shakey on September 01, 2006, 04:43:22 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on August 31, 2006, 10:53:32 PM

Huh, I can beat that.

I was at Layson's last week.  I paid $12.00 USD.  My other stuff's on it's way to the farm - right? 

UPDATE & EDIT:

Instead of installing the zerk fittings, I drilled a small hole and injected the grease directly into the pivot housing.  I used heat shrink as a seal.

Thanks. Great idea on just drilling and greasing. That's way more than they had new and look how long they lasted.