News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird&Daytona numbers

Started by Crazy440, August 30, 2006, 05:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy440

It seems that I'm seeing alot of adds for SuperBirds and Daytonas lately.  Just how many "factory" Wing rigs were actually built?  And what years?

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.

terrible one

I think that it was like 503 Daytonas and then around 2,000 Superbirds.

kab69440

The Daytona number I have always heard was 543. 501 domestics, 40 Canadians, and 2 overseas units. 1500 and spare change for 'Birds. One for every two Plymouth dealers at the time, as I understand it.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

hemigeno

The Daytona Dealer Shipping list shows 499 identifiable VIN's (after you back out the duplicate and blank entries). 

From the Dealer Invoice list, I have found one VIN missing from the Shipping list that exactly falls into the sequence.  I would highly suspect that was/is a legit number - which brings the total to 500.  It's always possible that 3 other cars might exist somewhere that aren't on the list.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to say for certain that the "correct" number is 500 and not 503, and it's not something to worry much about anyway.

The 500/503 number does include 50 Canadian-shipped Daytonas.  There aren't any records that show any Daytonas initially shipped overseas, although I know some eventually ended up there. 

Superbird production totals vary depending on who you talk to.  The "accepted" number is 1,920, although Galen shows 1,935 in the White books.  Here's what Ken Noffsinger says on the subject:

Quote from: Aerowarriors.com
Production numbers vary somewhat, depending on the source. According to the Plymouth SuperBird NASCAR Race Program Serial Number List, 1,162 cars were produced with the 440 4-bbl. Another 665 carried the 440 6-bbl, and the remaining 93 were powered by the 426 Hemi. These figures add to a total of 1,920 cars produced. This list has some notable errors in it; those with a copy of it may wish to review the VIN Numbers page which explains some of the discrepancies found in the list.

Geno

Crazy440

Thanks for all the info.  Those 2400 some odd cars must be getting passed around quit a bit.  Of coarse, some of the adds, I've seen, could very well be clones.

Crazy
I used to have a handle on life....but it broke off.