News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ANY BOBBY ISSAC CLONES OUT THERE ? [ # 71]

Started by daytonalo, September 03, 2006, 02:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE CHARGER PUNK

so ur going with the rare ass bathtub intake and the elusive 1750??? cfm 4 barrel-MATT

daytonalo

If I can locate those item , I will buy them . I was unaware of the cfm of the carb , thank you .
                                                                                           Larry

hotrod98

Howie just sold one his bathtub intakes. He might have one more. They make lousy setups for the street though. I say leave those setups for the museum cars and go with something a little more streetable for your driver. As long as you make the air cleaner look right, no one will notice the intake setup being different.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

daytonalo

Howie

I sold it for 900. That was with a top for a standard Holley and a top for a Dominator carb.  I found a 1964 Nascar dual plane intake that I will be runniung on mine.

THE CHARGER PUNK

$900 , ive seen those things go for the better side of 6k-MATT

hemi68charger

Unless someone else posts it, I have a picture of an original #71 Grand National Daytona that Tim Wellborn owns..........   Not sure if the picture Doug posted is of Tim's.......

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Howie

I wanted to do my daytona as close to the nascar look as possible so I drove 12 hours to the museum at talladega to take pictures of the 71 car. I was able to talk one of the workers to open the hood for me to get the engine bay shots. I took about 80 pictures. The air inlet has been opened up quite a bit under the nose of the car.

nitrometal

Quote from: Howie on September 19, 2006, 11:39:33 AM
I wanted to do my daytona as close to the nascar look as possible so I drove 12 hours to the museum at talladega to take pictures of the 71 car. I was able to talk one of the workers to open the hood for me to get the engine bay shots. I took about 80 pictures. The air inlet has been opened up quite a bit under the nose of the car.

Hey Howie, is there any way you could post those 80 photos up somewhere?  I love that car!!! :drool5:
I love the smell of nitro in the morning.

http://pettysuperbird.com

THE CHARGER PUNK

yeah howie email me as many shots as possible to me , my email is G-UNOT89@hotmail.com,thnx bud, also if u are building to as close as possible, are u gonan do floor bracing etc.? and lastly what car are u gonan re-create??-MATT

Howie

That`s a lot of email.I was going to do a 71 car but have changed my mind. I don`t know which one to do. I may even paint it a color no one has.  I finally recieved all of my guages. The old stewart warners.  That itself is a chore to find the old stuff. Got a pair of nascar valvecovers from a friend who had them hangin on a wall in his shop. Tires are current nascar slicks. Boy they are wide.

THE CHARGER PUNK

a nicely done charlie glotzbach #99 car would be sweet, as well as the testing #88 car-MATT

Aero426

Quote from: B5 BLUE CHARGER PUNK on September 21, 2006, 11:58:21 AM
a nicely done charlie glotzbach #99 car would be sweet, as well as the testing #88 car-MATT

Those cars are already out there.  Wayne Perkins Hemi Daytona is nicely done up as a #99.   There is a #88 street car out there which is somewhat rough around the edges.

A few cars that could be done that would be neat to see:

Don White #3 USAC
Butch Hartman #75 USAC
Buddy Baker #6 NASCAR
Dave Marcis #30 NASCAR
James Hylton #48 NASCAR

Tires have come up a couple of times in this thread along with the use of slicks to create a more faithful replica.   NASCAR tires in the wing car era were still fully treaded.   

Howie

The tires on the 71 car I saw were slicks, however I have seen some pictures of the wing cars with treaded tires.  Any idea what the size they were?  I saw that the petty car has a treaded tire.

hotrod98

I bought a 1/64th die cast of Tiny Lund's #55 car last week at a swapmeet. I mentioned to Howard that we could paint his up to match it. I kind of like blue on these cars.
Doug, do you know anything about Tiny?  From what I've read about him, he seemed like a nice guy

Charles Addams

hemigeno

Quote from: hotrod98 on September 21, 2006, 02:42:44 PM
I bought a 1/64th die cast of Tiny Lund's #55 car last week at a swapmeet. I mentioned to Howard that we could paint his up to match it. I kind of like blue on these cars.
Doug, do you know anything about Tiny?  From what I've read about him, he seemed like a nice guy

Some cool details about Tiny here

And a pic swiped from the Aerowarriors.com site:

Aero426

Quote from: Howie on September 21, 2006, 02:02:48 PM
The tires on the 71 car I saw were slicks, however I have seen some pictures of the wing cars with treaded tires.  Any idea what the size they were?  I saw that the petty car has a treaded tire.

Max rim size for 1969-70 was 15 x 9 and was expanded to 9.5 in 1970.  The wheels have double welded centers for strength.    The size was 8/8.25 x 15.  Max sidewall width was 12.2"   The "tread" was kind of a hen scratch pattern.     Period Goodyears have a small letter pattern.    Anything with a large white "GOODYEAR" is circa 1972 and later.    You can still get tires in that size.

The K & K has seen actual track use in recent years, so it runs a modern set of race tires.   NOS sixties race tires are hard to find and require tubes.  Probably a good substiture is something like a Hoosier Street TD blackwall and copy the Goodyear markings onto them.

Aero426

Quote from: hemigeno on September 21, 2006, 03:53:19 PM
Quote from: hotrod98 on September 21, 2006, 02:42:44 PM

Some cool details about Tiny here

And a pic swiped from the Aerowarriors.com site:

Tiny's car would also be a good choice.  Tiny's claim to fame was when he lifted a burning Maserati off Marvin Panch at the Daytona sports car race in 1963.  Marvin was scheduled to drive the Wood Brothers #21, but due to his burns he could not, so they put Marvin in the car, and he won the race. 

Tiny ran a Merc Cyclone for Bud Moore in 1968, and the Daytona in 1970.  He also raced quite a bit in the NASCAR Grand Amercan pony car series in 69-72 in a Camaro with some success.   Tiny was killed at Talladega in 1975 in a crash on the backstretch.   He was driving a 74 Charger at the time. 

THE CHARGER PUNK

yea, but the hylton car is being restored as we speak and the buddy baker #6 car exists as well and is in great condition,the perkins 99 clone is a street car with full interior and stock engine ,and the 88 clone is not even a full clone as it packs a 318 and has no rear plug and it also has full interior-MATT

hotrod98

Tiny reminds me of a local late model driver (Don Milliken) that I crewed for back in the early 70's before I decided to go drag racing. I wonder what number he was using when he was killed. I was surprised to read that he was killed in a '74 Charger.
I have a rust free 74 Charger hardtop that we were thinking about using to make a Petty stock car clone. No one seems to want to buy it to restore so why not? Howard might just have to use it to make a Tiny Lund memorial car to go with his daytona stock car clone.

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

on www.tinylund.com there seems 2 be no footage or pics or records of him ever driving a 74 charger-MATT

hemigeno

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on September 21, 2006, 06:16:40 PM
on www.tinylund.com there seems 2 be no footage or pics or records of him ever driving a 74 charger-MATT

Look here.

Tiny was credited with a 46th place finish in that race, in a '74 Dodge (Charger).

daytonalo

Hey Doug , thank you , I'm not sure I understand your breakdown on tire size .

Howie

This is great. Everyone has a bit of knowledge and that is helpin me a lot. I love this site. Thanks for the information just keep it coming.
                                                                                                                                       Howard

Aero426

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on September 21, 2006, 04:52:31 PM
yea, but the hylton car is being restored as we speak and the buddy baker #6 car exists as well and is in great condition,the perkins 99 clone is a street car with full interior and stock engine ,and the 88 clone is not even a full clone as it packs a 318 and has no rear plug and it also has full interior-MATT

The Hylton car is a long, long way from being done.  We're talking years.   I spoke to the owner last Saturday.  He's thrilled to have the car, but he is going to need a lot of help to get it done.  It will probably be done as a #22 Daytona, since his dad was the team owner.    The #6 Owens car - who knows when we will see it again. 

Anyway, when I am saying "these would be good cars to do",  I'm not talking about replicating real race cars.  I'm talking about street based replicas.  The idea is that you can get a few of them together at an event, in one place and run them down the road or a parade lap at a track.   My opinion is that is doesn't make sense to duplicate a car that's already out there.   I've heard, "Well that car has an interior, or that car doesn't have a plug."   Personally, all I care is to see is the exterior paint treatment.   If you want to gut the interior and put a cage in it, sure that'll help, but to make it really "correct", see below. 

Don't take any of this the wrong way.  I'm trying to inform you, not put your idea down.   To build an 80% faithful replica of a 1968-70 Nichels race chassis, you have a ton of cutting and pasting and fabricating to do.   Those cars were built from the ground up as race pieces, not street converted.    So if you want to reverse engineer it, here are some of the things you need to do.  Rear spring perches are recessed up into the body,  extended rear wheel tubs,  fabricated trans tunnel,  fabricated K-frame,   fabricated firewall with cowl induction,   unique hood hinges,   battery relocated behind the LF wheel.   Forget about using the stock radiator support - it's gone.  Inner fenderwells, gone.  The other 20% are the unique suspension pieces, spindles, wheels, coolers, air cleaners all of which are being chased by guys with real race cars.   It's more than just gutting the interior and popping an interior cage in and a hoop to the front.   

Every so often, you hear talk about how great it was when stock car racing used "stock' cars.    The reality is that by the mid 1960's, other than the general torsion bar suspension layout and the body shape, that is about all that is "production" on a Chrysler stock car.