News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How do you store parts to prevent rust after blasting?

Started by bull, September 04, 2006, 02:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I have a bunch of parts I can media blast myself but I probably won't get them all done before I can get to the powder coating guy. How can I store the parts after blasting them so they won't rust? How long can they be stored? Is aluminum oxide a good media for stuff like bumper brackets, k-members, etc.?

Silver R/T

Obviously in dry place. Spray some primer on parts if you can or self-etching primer
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

resq302

I have also used the Silica packets and stored the parts in a plastic bag.  That usually either eliminates or slows down the oxidation process.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Drop Top

If your going to have them powder coated, your wasting time blasting them in the first place. The powder coater will have to sand blast the parts before they are coated regardless if you have already done them or not. This is to insure that there are on contaniments (like hand prints) on the parts before coating them. If they didn't do it, I would not trust that powder coater. Your not going to save any money by blasting the parts first. Its included in the price anyway.

bull

Quote from: Drop Top on September 05, 2006, 04:29:18 AM
If your going to have them powder coated, your wasting time blasting them in the first place. The powder coater will have to sand blast the parts before they are coated regardless if you have already done them or not. This is to insure that there are on contaniments (like hand prints) on the parts before coating them. If they didn't do it, I would not trust that powder coater. Your not going to save any money by blasting the parts first. Its included in the price anyway.

I was hoping you'd chime in. Thanks.