News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Pedal & Parking Brake Pedal Restoration

Started by Shakey, September 11, 2006, 06:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakey

I removed the brake pedal and parking brake pedal assemblies and restored them this past weekend.  Not much to it really, just some time and some nicked knuckles in trying to get them out.

One removed, they spent some time in the sandblaster to remove the surface rust, cleaned with Eastwood's Pre and then a coat of self etching primer.  I used Eastwood's Detail Gray and then taped off the lower portion of the pedal that was to be painted gloss black.  New rubber pads and bright trim from Year One, as well as a new brake release handle (yet to be installed) and they look as good as new.  They'll be stashed in the basement for the time being as it will be sometime before they get installed in the car.

Thanks to Dodge Don and some of the others at the 1970 Charger Registry for the tips on the colours.

Some photos of the results.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Shakey

Dodge Don

Just 6T9 CHGR

Nicely done!  One of the areas I never got around to doing.  Access to a sandblaster is a godsend ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Shakey

Thanks again fellas.

Yes, the sandblaster is handy and I consider myself quite fortunate to have a Father-in-Law that has ammassed all of the tools to properly run a farm / restore a car!   :yesnod:

He has tools that I never even knew existed.

resq302

Damn Shakey, coming out reallly good.  I still cant believe that you are diong all this work only to not make it into a show car.  I would be scared to drive it seeing all the detail you are doing.  Nicely done though.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Shakey

Quote from: resq302 on September 13, 2006, 01:48:34 AM
Damn Shakey, coming out reallly good.  I still cant believe that you are diong all this work only to not make it into a show car.  I would be scared to drive it seeing all the detail you are doing.  Nicely done though.

Thanks Brian.

The way I look at it, this car is already apart and I have easy access to all of these pieces.  I figured I might as well spend the extra time, effort and money to do the job once and to do it right.   :yesnod:

As far as judges are concerned, there are only two that really matter to me - my Father-in-Law and myself.   :thumbs:

694spdRT

Quote from: Shakey on September 14, 2006, 07:04:02 AM
As far as judges are concerned, there are only two that really matter to me - my Father-in-Law and myself.   :thumbs:

That is assuming you can keep your foot out of the throttle once you finish the resto otherwise there may be another judge involved.  ;D :drive:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Dodge Don

Quote from: Shakey on September 14, 2006, 07:04:02 AM
Quote from: resq302 on September 13, 2006, 01:48:34 AM

Thanks Brian.

The way I look at it, this car is already apart and I have easy access to all of these pieces.  I figured I might as well spend the extra time, effort and money to do the job once and to do it right.   :yesnod:

C'mon big guy....you'll be right next to me in the show field  :yesnod:

OttawaCharger

Looking real sharp Shakey!  :icon_smile_cool:
I've just saved that to my pics folder for future reference in my restore.  :yesnod:
1968 Charger -currently spread all over my garage!

Shakey

Hope these photos help!

Please note, at the time the photo was taken, the bell crank was installed backwards.  The middle pivot should be facing away from the booster and bolted to the brake pedal.  The lower bolt goes through the brake pedal bracket.

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

mikepmcs

Man that is one awesome resto right there.  Better than factory! :yesnod:  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Life isn't Father Knows Best anymore, it's a kick in the face on a saturday night with a steel toed grip kodiak work boot and a trip to the hospital all bloodied and bashed.....for reconstructive surgery. But, what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

Shakey

Thanks once again fellas.  I get a lot of inspiration from you folks on this site and hope whatever I share with all of you helps someone along the way.  :wave:

elacruze

I was about to send off my park brake pedal assembly, but after seeing this thread I think I'll do it myself. I already did the clutch/brake and it turned out nice, I was just worried about getting the rust and blasting sand out of the nooks and crannies of the park assembly.
:2thumbs:
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

bull

Quote from: elacruze on March 22, 2011, 08:29:36 AM
I was about to send off my park brake pedal assembly, but after seeing this thread I think I'll do it myself. I already did the clutch/brake and it turned out nice, I was just worried about getting the rust and blasting sand out of the nooks and crannies of the park assembly.
:2thumbs:

I had real good luck cleaning the rust off mine with the blasting cabinet. And there's always that Evap-o-Rust stuff. You can also have it acid dipped at a plating shop.

elacruze

yes, I'm about to buy a gallon or so of evap-o-rust to dump all my remaining hardware in...used a sample amount and it works great. I'm running out of time, so the molasses treatment is out for the rest of my car.
1968 505" EFI 4-speed
1968 D200 Camper Special, 318/2bbl/4spd/4.10
---
Torque converters are for construction equipment.

resq302

Quote from: elacruze on March 22, 2011, 02:53:45 PM
yes, I'm about to buy a gallon or so of evap-o-rust to dump all my remaining hardware in...used a sample amount and it works great. I'm running out of time, so the molasses treatment is out for the rest of my car.

I agree about the evap-o-rust stuff.  I used it recently for some spindles that I am going to be selling to a member here.  Fantastic job.  I will post some pics as soon as I have a chance to resize them.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

DJF

In restoring my interior I had to pull mine out as well. Just got to the pedals last week. Well i figured Id just do the throttle and brake. I didnt realise the whole brake assembly came out like that so i just took out the brake and sandblasted that and didnt bother with the ebrake. I got it all painted and reinstalled again now.

I dont have a before on this Doh!!!! anyways I read this post last night and I got home form work tonight ........

Yoink!

after

its late now so priming will have to wait till tomorrow but thanks for the inspiration.

moparchick

Any chance you have any pictures of where the return spring attaches to the parking brake? In '71 they have provisions for it however in '70 I can't find where this spring goes, the tech guide shows you nothing and everyone I've asked doesn't have a clue.  :shruggy:

mike337

Shakey, or anyone else on the board redoing brakes!

I am eagerly following Shakey's threads on rebuilding the brake pedal on my 69 Charger, but do not see any shots, or remember from when I took it apart the attachment points for the spring on the brake assembly.

I believe one end attaches to the point shown by the red arrow in the attached pic, but where on the assembly does the other end of the spring attach?

Mike

BLK 68 R/T

No spring to my knowledge on a 68-70 B body automatic car.