News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake Pedal & Parking Brake Pedal Restoration

Started by Shakey, September 11, 2006, 06:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike337

Another day, another question!

I also have a mystery bracket that was attached to the brake pedal itself.  I have some pictures of the parts when I originally pulled them from the car for restoration, so I know where the bracket (and pin) were installed.

I am wondering if the bracket with pin and the spring mentioned, and now in the attached pic were part of the cruise control original to the car.

Anyone have a 69 Charger with cruise control to confirm my theory?

Mike

BLK 68 R/T

Looking at the FSM that is in fact the bracket that mounts on the brake pedal to actuate the switch for the cruise control cutoff.

mike337

Is it just the collar pictured that attaches the front parking brake cable to the pedal assembly?

Mike

BLK 68 R/T

That holds the emergency brake cable under the car where it passes through the front crossmember.

mike337

So is there a pin of some type that holds the clevice at the end of the cable to the parking brake mechanism?

Mike

BLK 68 R/T

green69rt

Here's a spring off of my 69 auto car.  ONly one I found on the brake pedal.  Just anti rattle, I think.

In the picture above, the spring actually attaches across the two slots BEHIND the slot shown above.  The other end goes around the short shaft that bolts to the brake pedal from the booster.  I couldn't find a good picture off of my car.  But here's one when I was taking mine apart.  Maybe you can figure out something from it. :shruggy:

mike337

Thanx for the pic of the spring.  Looks to be the same as mine. 

I bolted the brake assembly in the car and then ran into another issue. 

Are there 2, or 3 support rods that attach and strengthen the brake assembly. 

I assembled per Shakey's great pic, but am left with one more (a third) rod. does it attach to the left side somewhere, or go somewhere else on the dash?

Mike

green69rt

The third brace, look carefully.

mike337

Wow!  All I can say is the people on this board are amazing.

Thank you for the response so quick my neck just snapped :-)

Mike

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: green69rt on August 10, 2017, 02:35:56 PM
Here's a spring off of my 69 auto car.  ONly one I found on the brake pedal.  Just anti rattle, I think.

In the picture above, the spring actually attaches across the two slots BEHIND the slot shown above.  The other end goes around the short shaft that bolts to the brake pedal from the booster.  I couldn't find a good picture off of my car.  But here's one when I was taking mine apart.  Maybe you can figure out something from it. :shruggy:

I've been digging through the fsm and the parts book and cannot find that spring by anywhere except on the 4 speed pedal assembly. Not saying it doesn't exist, just I'm not looking in the right spot I guess. Learn something new almost every day about these cars.

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on August 11, 2017, 08:53:45 PM
Here's a spring off of my 69 auto car.  ONly one I found on the brake pedal.  Just anti rattle, I think.

In the picture above, the spring actually attaches across the two slots BEHIND the slot shown above.  The other end goes around the short shaft that bolts to the brake pedal from the booster.  I couldn't find a good picture off of my car.  But here's one when I was taking mine apart.  Maybe you can figure out something from it. :shruggy:

I've been digging through the fsm and the parts book and cannot find that spring by anywhere except on the 4 speed pedal assembly. Not saying it doesn't exist, just I'm not looking in the right spot I guess. Learn something new almost every day about these cars.

It might be a mistake from the factory, whatever.  It was on my car when I took it apart and so I put it back.   Here's a better pic of it installed.  There's a groove in the shaft that keeps the spring from sliding up and down it.  Again, I assumed it was just an anti rattle device.

BLK 68 R/T

I totally agree that it looks factory and most likely is, thanks for the picture  :cheers:

green69rt

Oops, just looking at the picture, it looks like one of the bolts is loose.  Better check it out!

mike337

Thanx for the info and the pic.  Will install the spring tomorrow.  Only a few more items until I get to install the dash with all its complicated wiring.  Things will really get interesting then trying to identify all the connections.

Mike

Bronzedodge

Here's a spring off of my 69 auto car.  ONly one I found on the brake pedal.  Just anti rattle, I think.

In the picture above, the spring actually attaches across the two slots BEHIND the slot shown above.  The other end goes around the short shaft that bolts to the brake pedal from the booster.  I couldn't find a good picture off of my car.  But here's one when I was taking mine apart.  Maybe you can figure out something from it. :shruggy:

I had one of those springs on my 69 auto PDB car.  It broke at one end.   I showed it to Wayne - The Ramm Man at Carlisle a few years ago.  He said it was indeed an anti-rattle spring.    :Twocents:
Mopar forever!