News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Availability of repo cast alum daytona wing

Started by nascarxx29, September 11, 2006, 06:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarxx29

Had a guy from a car show this weekend wanting to find a vendor that offeres a repo cast wing daytona wing for his 69 charger.For under $1500.00.I recall Dane on the board was making wings .Anybody still repoing a cast wing
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

THE CHARGER PUNK

hmmm steel, i doubt it dayclona has one but for $2995, another place makes them as well all steel dont know price or name of site-MATT

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

dads_69

I recall Dane selling them for $650.00 or $850.00 last I heard from him. They are not ready to bolt on, but with some work, as normal, you'd be good to go. Though they do weigh 85 lbs. I'd call that extra traction off the line!
Mark
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

hotrod98

After installing Howie's glass wing, I'm not as critical of them as I once was. They have aluminum inserts in the verticals and the horizontal blade. They're a lot stronger than you would ever expect and fairly light as well. We plan to start making them very soon. In fact the glass guy is coming over saturday to do the final alterations of Howie's glass nose to get it ready to make the new molds. I may sell my aluminum wing later if these wings come out the way that I expect them to.
Dane has the aluminum wings cast at a foundry near him. If he gets enough requests, he may have another batch made.
Also, you might mention to the guy that I still have a couple of sets of the wing braces left. Forum members get them for $80 including shipping in the 48 states.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

TomP

Will your fiberglass wings be strong enough to sit on?  I weigh 250, so it'd have to be strong.

:icon_smile_big:
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

I can have the wings [ uprights ] cast as orig , hollow , for around 2500 . that price would also include center section . I like dane , but his wing weighed as much as a battleship !

hotrod98

Quote from: TomP on September 12, 2006, 04:32:20 PM
Will your fiberglass wings be strong enough to sit on? I weigh 250, so it'd have to be strong.

:icon_smile_big:

The aluminum piece that runs through the horizontal blade bolts directly to an aluminum piece in the verticals, so we'll see just how strong they are eventually, but I think a child could walk around on it and it wouldn't even flex. How strong does it need to be to run 100 mph or less?

Charles Addams

Arigmaster

I still need a new center blade for my wing... as long as it's close to original dims...  I cam modify the rest to match it up.

BigBlockSam

QuoteI still need a new center blade for my wing

what happened to yours
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

hotrod98

If you don't find one before we start building them, we'll make you a horizontal blade from f/g.

Rene, I just e-mailed you 19 pics of your daytona trunk lid taken as it was being modified. Finished the conversion this afternoon. Looks good.

Charles Addams

hotrod98

Oh yeah, I started spot welding the closeout panels at the rear edge to increase the strength and reduce rattling. It will require a little more prep work on top, but well worth it. Notice the spot welds (7) along the rear edge. Gean Gregory told me that he does his this way. The originals were a little loose sometimes since they were only welded across the front edge.

Charles Addams

wetfeetmi

Why in the ever lovin' world would you want to stand on it even if you could?

daytonalo

I agree ,I guess these jackasses  are trying to prove that they are not as fat as their wives say they are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should be no wonder that this type of individual doesn't get laid anylonger !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

69_500

Was Gene Gregory the one selling the nose cones at the Monster Mopar?

hotrod98

That was him. He lowered the price from 10k to 7500. They turned out nice, but will still need a lot of work where the upper and lower sections are spot welded together.

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

Holy shit Batman! that looks great. that looks rite on from here my friend. nice, I'm getting that serous daytona feeling. in the last couple of yrs I've been looking at original daytona's and there contruction leaves alot to be desired. i think if we do these cars right they will be faithful reproductions .  better done. here's the trunk from an original daytona. Rene

daytonalo

On my car , I opted to not have that channel that  looked like blind chimps welded it on . Instead the hinge and channel are stock appearing and I used a threaded backing plate , my way gives you infinite adjusting and avoids that lumpy ,shit welding job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotrod98

Larry,
On the trunk lids that I'm converting, I'm trying to make them look as original as possible since they're usually open at car shows. I'm welding them in at the same place as the originals with each of the welds being approximately the same length as the originals. Did pretty much the same thing with the wing braces.

Charles Addams

daytonalo

Mine look origanal , I just made them work better than the originals , minus the sloppy welds , it uses bolts not studs like Ive seen on a few clones !

hotrod98

The originals that I've seen have bolts and the hinges were slotted. I still haven't had a chance to use that tubing bender that I bought. I took it to the dealership last week and that's as far as I've gotten.

Charles Addams

TomP

Quote from: wetfeetmi on September 15, 2006, 06:05:21 PM
Why in the ever lovin' world would you want to stand on it even if you could?

It's something wing car owners do to show that it isn't a cheap fiberglass wing on their car.

There's a picture of about 6 or 8 daytonas and 'birds somewhere with all the owners sitting on their wings.   Very cool picture.
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

daytonalo

Those jackasses did that when the cars were worth shit , let see them do that to a car that is worth 200k . If they still do that they need a lobotomy !

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on September 18, 2006, 01:14:50 PM
Those jackasses did that when the cars were worth shit , let see them do that to a car that is worth 200k . If they still do that they need a lobotomy !

:rotz:

I'll do that now, AND after my car gets restored.  You can take my picture too, Larry.  It's a car, and the factory wings were engineered to take in excess of 600# of negative lift (downforce), since that's what the inverted Clark airfoil generated at 200mph.

Aero426

Quote from: daytonalo on September 18, 2006, 01:14:50 PM

One of "those guys" is my dad.    If you ever met him, that isn't a name you'd use to describe him.    

BigBlockSam

i luv that picture.  they all look drunk to me.   :yesnod:

Aero426

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 18, 2006, 07:24:40 PM
I luv that picture.  they all look drunk to me.   :yesnod:

What an inane thing to say.   So much for your "I won't be insulted,  and I don't do these kind of things to others, blah, blah" sig line.   I'm sorry I shared that photo.   

BigBlockSam

QuoteWhat an inane thing to say.   So much for your "I won't be insulted,  and I don't do these kind of things to others, blah, blah" sig line.   I'm sorry I shared that photo   

i don't find being drunk an insult and i have that photo already , it was a joke, don't you know a joke when you hear one . . then you try to attack my sig line and me . you don't know me . my sig. line is true. anyone that knows me we agree. i am a man of honer, . so don't get you panties in a bunch and lighten  up and Doug you've gone out of your way to insult me. please don't do it again.  Rene

hotrod98

I'll vouch for Rene. I think he was just making a harmless joke. That's the problem with the internet, it's difficult to know the emotion behind the statements. Rene loaned me a set of original wing braces to copy last year and didn't know me at all. He trusted a total stranger based on our conversations on this board. Thanks to him, several guys were able to buy wing braces much cheaper than they would have otherwise. hotrod98

Charles Addams

BigBlockSam

thanks Hotrod
i was asked to edit my post so i did. out of respect for the man that asked me to. Doug, we bust balls here alot it makes us laugh don't take things to heart. Rene

daytonalo

No one on here is on here to put other people down  , we just like to mix up once and a while ! Ill send you tissues !

hotrod98

Hey! Maybe us cloners just have a better sense of humor. And, we don't loose any sleep at night worrying about whether anyone's out in the garage touching our cars. ;D

Charles Addams

Aero426

Quote from: daytonalo on September 19, 2006, 08:54:52 PM
No one on here is on here to put other people down  , we just like to mix up once and a while ! Ill send you tissues !
I don't need tissues, or expect apologies.   The guys (and gal) sitting on those wings were "the wing car hobby" in the early days.   Some of them are still alive and involved in the hobby.   I felt the remarks made were flippant reactions, and not personal,  but I saw them as disrespectful since I knew those folks, and oh yeah,  one of them was my father.

I will tell you that my old man did a lot of good things for people when he was alive, whether it was cheap NOS parts, unbiased advice, or offering up some dough so a fellow wouldn't have to sell his wing car in a money pinch.    If it wasn't for my dad,  I wouldn't have a couple of wing cars in my garage. Call me lucky if you want.   My dad was one cool dude.  

It's easy to say things online that you wouldn't dream of saying face to face in person.  I've done it myself.  Every so often, you need to step back and read what you type before you hit the "post" key.    Here's the deal.  Whatever the reason, however innocent or non-personal you may think your words are, people who are offended on message boards don't stick around.  They simply stop contributing and go somewhere else.   

Back to the topic at hand...

hotrod98

Quote from: DougSchellinger on September 20, 2006, 03:24:55 PM
Quote from: daytonalo on September 19, 2006, 08:54:52 PM
I don't need tissues, or expect apologies.  The guys (and gal) sitting on those wings were "the wing car hobby" in the early days. Some of them are still alive and involved in the hobby. I felt the remarks made were flippant reactions, and not personal, but I saw them as disrespectful since I knew those folks, and oh yeah, one of them was my father.

I will tell you that my old man did a lot of good things for people when he was alive, whether it was cheap NOS parts, unbiased advice, or offering up some dough so a fellow wouldn't have to sell his wing car in a money pinch.    If it wasn't for my dad,  I wouldn't have a couple of wing cars in my garage. Call me lucky if you want.   My dad was one cool dude. 

It's easy to say things online that you wouldn't dream of saying face to face in person.  I've done it myself.  Every so often, you need to step back and read what you type before you hit the "post" key.    Here's the deal.  Whatever the reason, however innocent or non-personal you may think your words are, people who are offended on message boards don't stick around.  They simply stop contributing and go somewhere else.   

Back to the topic at hand...

Doug,
There are all kinds of people on this forum. That's one of the things that I like about it. I've been on some of the other forums where most of the people there owned an original wing car. Can you say booooooring. I personally don't give a ratsass about how many daytonas were built with hemis. 4-speeds, vinyl tops, insert option here, etc. I don't care what day they started building them, who built them or how many were built. I like the looks of them and love hearing stories about them...period.
If you own one, lucky you, (I mean that sincerely) but I wouldn't trade all of my mopars to own just one car, even a hemi daytona. And according to my latest appraisal of my cars, that's about what it would take right now. I love getting a different car out everytime I get ready to go cruising. If I owned a real daytona, I would probably drive it for a year until all of my friends and local car show people have seen it and I would then sell it and go out and buy 12 Mopars or 40 Pontiac Trans Ams (no offense, I own a few of them myself).  What I'm saying is if you're looking for enlightenment here, you might be a little disappointed. If you're looking for open dialogue, witless banter, deep discussion and even a little Charger entertainment, kick back and enjoy the ride. We kind of like it here. Doug, I hope you stick around. We need knowledgable daytona people around.
Larry hotrod98

Charles Addams

Howie

:cheers:I`ll drink a pint of guinness to that Hotrod. I don`t think anyone is puttin anyone down. I love the old musclecars and also that dry sence of humor.  If we were all the same we would be boooooorrrrring!