News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MonsterMopar and a Vitamin C 'Bird that almost had a REALLY bad day

Started by hemigeno, September 11, 2006, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemigeno

We had 26 Aero cars (on my informal list) that were able to make it to MMW this year.  I know of several "regulars" that weren't able to make it for one reason or another, so the potential is there for continued growth on this deal.  Overall, it was a blast, although I am ready for a break from worrying about and taking care of that whole deal.  The former driver we invited out, Neil Castles, was a VERY gracious man and had a number of things to say about Nascar from back in the '50s and '60s that even a casual fan would be fascinated by.  Danny (69_500), I am looking forward to buying the DVD of his interviews. 

There was one incident that I didn't witness personally (I was running interference for the Track guys at the opposite end of the oval) that will probably stick in my mind for a while.  Tim Lindemann (I think that's his name) had a really sharp 6-Barrel Vitamin C 'Bird for sale in the Car Corral.  He decided to participate in the Track laps that the Aero cars did around the Oval Track.  On the last lap for his group, his throttle cable stuck at WOT going down the frontstretch.  Tim was standing on the brakes with both feet going into Turn 1, trying to slow the car down...  His passenger reached over and turned the ignition key off, which caused the engine to backfire twice - sounded like gunfire to the rest of the Aero cars waiting on pit road, and anyone else close to Turn 1.  Scared the dickens out of the gals taking money at the Swap Meet registration tent!

Anyway, the passenger (thankfully) only turned the ignition key one click, or the steering column would have locked up on Tim.  As it was, the car's power steering assist went away when the engine shut off.  That, and the faster-than-normal entry speed into Turn 1 ALMOST caused the car to plant that nosecone into the Turn 1 wall.  Tim (again, thankfully) got the car under control, and coasted onto the apron.  While coasting down the backstretch though, the car started leaking [edit] antifreeze (Troy saw what it was leaking, and actually helped push the car out of the way  :thumbs: ) [/edit] It was a bad day enough that the engine problem happened, but it could have been a WHOLE lot worse.  It's hard to say whether he was really unfortunate, or really lucky.  Both descriptions apply, if you ask me.

The Gateway Track guys were understandably a little hesitant to promise that we will be able to get out on the track and run wide open like that next year.  They are going to "review the situation" and get back with me sometime soon.  They did tell me more than once that if there are any changes that they want to make, they are NOT being made as a result of anyone's on-track behavior.  Apart from that 'Bird's incident, the Track Laps went very smoothly overall. 

I'm just glad to be back at work so I can get some rest!

Shakey

Wild!

QuoteIt's hard to say whether he was really unfortunate, or really lucky.  Both descriptions apply, if you ask me.
:iagree:

694spdRT

That must have been the Superbird parked next to the Hemi Superbird in the car corral. I heard what sounded like gunshots but didn't know what it was. Sounds like a close call....glad it turned out OK.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Troy

On that Superbird, I didn't see it leaking oil but it sure was pouring (literally) antifreeze by the time he got to the gate in the center of the back stretch. I was shooting pictures over there and helped push it behind the barrier. I heard the backfiring but didn't know what it was until now. Someone in the swap said it had kicked the tail out going into the turn but they didn't know why until I told them the throttle had stuck.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

hotrod98

Had the throttle stick wide open on my dragster a few years ago. Very scary situation. Glad everything worked out for this guy. Could have been a very bad deal.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

69_500

How fast were they running the laps this year Gene?

I didn't make it sunday as I drove home after breakfast with Jim and Jerry.

tan top

sounds like a scary ride for sure  :scared:,   glad every thing turned out ok . that could of been real bad .
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on September 12, 2006, 03:31:32 AM
How fast were they running the laps this year Gene?

I didn't make it sunday as I drove home after breakfast with Jim and Jerry.

Well, it depended on who you were riding with as to how fast they were going.

The first group went 55mph around the track as an average speed.  Fairly moderate pace.

The last two groups though were a different story.  Dan Harman (the track manager) told me that he held the pace car at 75mph the whole way around the track - never went over 75.  The cars following him were going WAY over that down the straight stretches (Danny Byrd said he was hitting close to 100), since most of them didn't hold that same speed going into the corners.  Not everyone was as comfortable throwing a 4000lb. car around like that, especially one with a price tag with as many zeros as a wing car.  As a result, many of the cars kept steadily dropping back from the pace car, meaning they were flying down the straight stretches trying to catch up.  That probably contributed to the hung throttle.  Just a guess here, but it also could have been that his throttle return spring broke or came loose - that would cause the same thing.

Troy, I'm glad to hear that it was just antifreeze that Tim was belching out.  That hopefully won't cause any lasting problems for him.  He seemed like a real nice guy, even though I only got to talk to him a couple of minutes.  Tim is also the one that was selling the V2 Daytona we posted pictures of in this thread: [[click here]] and I suppose he still owns Ted Janak's former Daytona.

69_500

I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner of the Vitamin C bird when I was there, but I did shoot quite a few photo's of the HEMI bird they had there. Personally I think the HEMI Bird was in a lot better of condition than the 6 pac car. Minor details were incorrect on the 6 pac Birds restoration. Little details, but enough for me to think that the $239K asking price was about $85K too high.

BigBlockSam

I'd be curious to know what went wrong. why did the throttle stick. anybody know? Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Brock Samson

you've got me to thinking,..
my first car, the '65 dodge 880 hardtop,.. also broke a return spring one day on my way to work, i think it too went WOT & scared the living crap outta me, i dont remember why now (this was in 1978) but i had to pop the hood and pull the coil wire, scared me senseless (you understand me better now don't ya' :icon_smile_wink:) i still have P.T.S. from that experiance...
anyhow i have met a few Mopar guys at shows who run double springs, they say it ups the effort to mash the throttle but they tell me after their experiance with a MOPAR at WOT, they prefer the extra pedal effort to the fear of having that experiance again..
you other guys have any thoughts on this?..

Ghoste

I have double springs on mine.  I don't think any dragstrip will let you on without that and an overflow catch can of some sort.

Brock Samson

here at sears point dragstrip i simply put the overflow hose into the windshield washer bottle works good.  but the tech inspec never said anything about double springs...

Charger Aficionado

BigBlockSam

QuoteMopar guys at shows who run double springs,

i run double springs on all my mopars. you can't pass tech at raceway park , englishtown nj. without double springs or a catch can. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

hemigeno

Hemi's came from the factory with double springs, but the 440-4 and 440-6 only had a single spring.  Coulda been a TRspring problem that Tim had -- but again, that's just a guess.

gtx6970

Was this the one with HEMI badges on the fenders ? If so it looked a lot like Rusty Cummings car and I'm not aware he sold it

69_500

I don't think so it was parked next to the HEMI Bird all weekend though. The HEMI car was listed as having not been out since 1975.

Hemi_tyme

Quote from: BigBlockSam on September 12, 2006, 06:14:41 PM
I'd be curious to know what went wrong. why did the throttle stick. anybody know? Rene
A buddy of mine talked with the owner of the bird and he said that they used copper cotter pins on the 6 bbl linkage  :o
Ken

Ghoste

Aero426

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 13, 2006, 04:59:29 PM
Was this the one with HEMI badges on the fenders ? If so it looked a lot like Rusty Cummings car and I'm not aware he sold it

Rusty's car was Tor-Red and is not the same car.    That orange Hemi Bird traced back to Roger Neshem in North Dakota.  He was a part time USAC stock car driver as well.   I haven't heard Roger's name since about 1980, so the storage story on that car makes sense.

69_500

It was good looking car, but not sure if the asking price of $750k was understandable. To me that is too high for that car.

Aero426

Quote from: 69_500 on September 19, 2006, 03:51:53 AM
It was good looking car, but not sure if the asking price of $750k was understandable. To me that is too high for that car.

That car might sell at half that price on a good day.   What I didn't get was that he wanted to trade it (Hemi 4-speed)for a Hemi Automatic Bird.  I'd want the 4-spd myself.   

69_500

Well he did want to trade it for an AT HEMI Bird, as long as the person threw in cash in the deal too.

I agree though I'd prefer the 4 speed over the AT any day of the week.