News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

factory paint

Started by Charger1970, September 12, 2006, 05:18:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger1970

I have always understood the factory paint wasn't all that great.

I saw a couple of wing car survivors at the Mopar Nationals. I was really surprised how AWFUL the paint was. Those wings were especially bad.  :o
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

69_500

The wings look awful wavy don't they when they are still origional paint. That and on the Superbird wings you can really see 2 lines running accross the tops of the wings if it is still origional paint. And they aren't nearly as shiny as the rest of the car. The nose cones are the same way too.

62 Max

I assume you know that the nose and wing were done in laquer.Age takes its toll. :pity:

BigBlockSam

laquer shrinks with age and the clear turns yellow
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

69_500

Yes I'm aware of this. But I've also noticed over the years that the wings being made of aluminum have stress marks in them from the forms. Like the two braces running length ways in the top of the wing. They show up very noticeably over the years, and I've been told that it is due to them being cast thicker than the rest, thus allowing for more shrinkage after the casting.

Ghoste

I believe the correct term for that weathered look is "patina" which I'm pretty sure is a latin word that loosely translates to, "I'm too cheap to repaint it so by using a fancy word I expect to be paid a lot more for this car".  At least that is what seems to happen when I see "patina" applied to worn out cars at auction.
So what you are really seeing is wing car patina and it's all good. :icon_smile_big:

daytonalo

I had a discussion with the owner of the foundry who cast the uprights , by the way the horizontal was extruded , and he told me when the parts came out of the molds they needed much sanding and filling to make somewhat acceptable for painting . On a good day they were horrible at best !

62 Max

I must have been lucky,actually mine are pretty nice!

Shakey

Quote from: 62 Max on September 12, 2006, 09:06:13 PM
I must have been lucky,actually mine are pretty nice!

Post some pics please.   :yesnod:

62 Max

69_500

62Max can you take a shot of the top of the cross piece? I've been looking at those more closely lately.

And is your car still wearing factory paint? if so then its been taken very good car of since new.

hemigeno

Quote from: daytonalo on September 12, 2006, 08:18:03 PM
I had a discussion with the owner of the foundry who cast the uprights , by the way the horizontal was extruded , and he told me when the parts came out of the molds they needed much sanding and filling to make somewhat acceptable for painting . On a good day they were horrible at best !

:iagree:

Danny, those lines you're seeing in the horizontal section of the wing are from the extrusion process.  Some will have the lines, some won't.  Mine doesn't have any lines that bump up, but there is a very slight indentation (maybe 1/4" wide) that runs the length of the blade.

My wing uprights still have their original paint job mostly intact.  It isn't absolutely horrible, but you can see where they had to do some filller work on the cast uprights.  The brownish filler is still visible in places.

Some wing uprights were worse than others though.  One guy at the MonsterMopar show here a couple of years ago brought his "restored" Daytona with absolutely no filler in the wing uprights.  It looked nasty - huge craters and pock-marks all over it.  The owner insisted that this is the way it came from the factory (no filler), which we all knew was bogus.  A year later, he came back and his wing was fixed.   :smash:

62 Max

Quote from: 69_500 on September 13, 2006, 08:38:15 AM
62Max can you take a shot of the top of the cross piece? I've been looking at those more closely lately.

And is your car still wearing factory paint? if so then its been taken very good car of since new.

Have owned since 1982.Car was redone 14yrs ago.Had original paint at that time.Has held up very well since it was done..Wing has no filler at all ,was probably better than most.Just stripped,primered and painted.Never did get the bolts loose.

62 Max

Might as well show you the whole thing.

Shakey

Very nice!   :yesnod:

Thanks for the pics.   :thumbs:

gtx6970

I'd rather go for a ride in the black wagon

62 Max

Quote from: gtx6970 on September 13, 2006, 04:00:25 PM

Bill,next year at Carlisle that can happen.Should be done in about a month.

gtx6970

Quote from: 62 Max on September 13, 2006, 04:14:46 PM
Quote from: gtx6970 on September 13, 2006, 04:00:25 PM

Bill,next year at Carlisle that can happen.Should be done in about a month.

I'll be waiting , and cold ones on me.

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

69_500

Would the restored Daytona without filler have been the same one that has the gas tank painted body color? As well as the straps for the tank?

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on September 14, 2006, 03:56:58 AM
Would the restored Daytona without filler have been the same one that has the gas tank painted body color? As well as the straps for the tank?

Yep, that's the one...    :rotz:

Jim McCauley, Jerry Narramore and I had an interesting discussion with him on Sunday.  Apparently he had an argument with someone on Saturday night about whether the Daytona was built as an R/T or not.  He didn't like my answer though, since I didn't back him up.

41husk

most people don't like the answer they get, if it doesn't back them up :icon_smile_big:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

69_500

His car is nice I'll give him that. I know it was judged and I hope that it didn't take the nicest in the wing car class.

There was a gorgeous Alpine white Superbird there as well as those 2 Limelight Birds. All 3 better than the Y2 daytona. Then again the green Daytona (not Jim's but the one on the end of the row) was also in my opinion nicer/more correct. However the green daytona was far from perfect as well.

hemi68charger

controversy seems to follow you all..........  :icon_smile_big:

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

:haha:  :stirthepot: They were homolgation models for competition after all.

69_500

Ah we aren't confrontational. Okay so maybe I do enjoy a good one every once in a while.

BigBlockSam

QuoteAlpine white Superbird   

my Fav