News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 gauge problems

Started by Manfred318, September 13, 2006, 06:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manfred318

Hey guys I have some problems getting my gauges work. I have replaced all of the sending units. I have put in a new Chrysler voltage limiter. I have even replaced the circut board and that little condenser that plugs in with the voltage limiter,but still nothing happens. I have added multiple grounds thinking they were not grounding properly and I still get the same results. The gauges do work when you hook them straight up to the battery. When you would check the voltage the ohm meter will "tick" from 0v to 5v it doesn't keep a constant voltage going to the sending units. I am not sure what else to try. Maybe you all can give me some advice or know how to fix the problem. Thanks alot for the help!!
--John

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

johntpr

Did you try another rinstrument cluster voltage limiter?  Maybe you happened to get another bad one.  You run another ground wire from cluster right to dash frame to see if that helps?

Manfred318

Yep I put in a brand new Chrysler limiter and I also tried one of those aftermarket ones from advance auto but still nothing. I have also run a ground directly from the dash to the frame and I have run a ground from the ground side of the voltage limiter to the frams as well but it did not help.

Current MoPars:

Plumcrazy

The voltage limiter supplies a pulsating 12v to the gauges that averages out to 5v.    That's the way it should work.
The cluster needs to be grounded to work also.

What happens if you ground one of the wires that go to a sending unit with the key on?
You should have a pulsating 12v at that wire.  When you ground the wire the gauge should go to full scale.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

Manfred318

The cluster has been grounded twice to the dash frame so that should not be an issue. I did not know that the limiter did not keep a constant voltage, so that explains that. Thanks for that info. The gauges did work just fine when we grounded them out, so I know that they work, but I just dont understand why they wont when I put them in the car.

Current MoPars:

rikubot

Quote from: Manfred318 on September 13, 2006, 08:41:45 PM
The cluster has been grounded twice to the dash frame so that should not be an issue. I did not know that the limiter did not keep a constant voltage, so that explains that. Thanks for that info. The gauges did work just fine when we grounded them out, so I know that they work, but I just dont understand why they wont when I put them in the car.

Any luck with this Manfred?
'69 Charger, 440/727