News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally painted my Superbird this weekend

Started by sunroofsuperbird, September 17, 2006, 08:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

QuoteThe nose looks great, btw 
:yesnod:

what paint did you use ? single stage poly or base coat , clear coat. Rene
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

sunroofsuperbird

It is Base coat Clear coat.  Got my rear end put in in the last few days after work. Still like some work but may have rear wheels on it within a few weeks after 5+ years with no wheels.  This is A dana 60 I made and only have $65.00 in it not bad for a dana. Everyone said it wouldn't work But it will. it is out of a 86 Ford F-250 truck I just cut ends off axle tubes and welded the 8 3/4 axle tube ends on the exact leanth of my B Body 8 3/4 axles. it worked out great it is 3/4 narrower but that shouldn't hurt anything. Now if it was only a posi. I will have to buy a posi unit. but has a great Gear I think in it. It is a 331 should do good on the hwy with my 4sp
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
71 Challenger R/T stationwagon
70 Sunroof superbird clone
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
71 Challenger conv pace car
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
78 Aspen Super Coupe Sedan Delivery
80 Aspen Load Runner wagon
67 Fury 6 door limo wagon
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

daytonalo

Can you please give more details on exactly how you modified that rear to fit ?

sunroofsuperbird

It Wasn't that hard. I wanted to do one for a while but everyone said I have tried it and it wont work. So I never tried. I have plenty of rears in junked trucks and vans but never had one out to try. then one day a guy at work gave me this one out of a 86 ford F-250 truck that the hub bearing went bad on and ruined the end of axle tube. so I had nothing to lose but a 8 3/4 housing. so I cut end off axle tube on the dana and stuck my 8 3/4 axle in and it worked perfect in the ford center splines. then I cut both ends off and cut ends off 8 3/4. I then slid my axles up in dana with ends off and put them where they needed to be length wise and made sure they would work. then cut dana to right length I needed and 8 3/4 ends and went to put 8 3/4 ends up in dana and they were too big so I had to have a machine shop make me 2 sleeves to put over ends and welded them on and it works perfect. not the pettiest job there but I can live with it [see far right of pic before it was painted] but after its in the car and brakes and all in you should not see it very good anyway. this was my first attempt anyway. I plan on doing at least 2 more for my Challenger Conv and superbird Conv. I have a rear in the shop now to start on soon. This time I am going to try to take axle tubes out and just put the complete tube length out of 8 3/4 into the center. that way it should look factory
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

Shakey

daytonalo

Maybe one could purchase the proper tube from one of the many company's who make rears ?

tan top

Quote from: sunroofsuperbird on September 27, 2006, 08:01:11 PM
It is Base coat Clear coat.  Got my rear end put in in the last few days after work. Still like some work but may have rear wheels on it within a few weeks after 5+ years with no wheels.  This is A dana 60 I made and only have $65.00 in it not bad for a dana. Everyone said it wouldn't work But it will. it is out of a 86 Ford F-250 truck I just cut ends off axle tubes and welded the 8 3/4 axle tube ends on the exact leanth of my B Body 8 3/4 axles. it worked out great it is 3/4 narrower but that shouldn't hurt anything. Now if it was only a posi. I will have to buy a posi unit. but has a great Gear I think in it. It is a 331 should do good on the hwy with my 4sp
              looking good  :thumbs: , cleaver idea with modifying the  dana     :thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

RIDELIKEHELL

All I can say is WOW! That is one mean Bird :icon_smile_cool:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

sunroofsuperbird

Didnt get much done this weekend. Got the sunroof in. the gas tank in. and painted the wing.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

hotrod98

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Ghoste

I like the little Road Runner somebody drew on your primer.  ;D

daytonalo

how much for the bigwheel in the background ?

Shakey

Quote from: sunroofsuperbird on October 02, 2006, 08:21:18 PM
Didnt get much done this weekend. Got the sunroof in. the gas tank in. and painted the wing.

That sounds like a pretty good weekend to me.  Sounds like you got lots done.   :yesnod:

sunroofsuperbird

heres what I got done this weekend. got the wing and trunk lid on. got stripe on trunk. started getting motor ready to put in and all front suspension pieces cleaned and ready to paint. made skid plate for K member. all rear brake part ready to put on.
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

THE CHARGER PUNK

im not here 2 nitpick or anything,but from that pic that ''plymouth'' decal seems a litle 2 small 2 be for a superbird-MATT

Brock Samson

hotrod98

Quote from: THE CHARGER PUNK on October 09, 2006, 06:35:29 PM
im not here 2 nitpick or anything,but from that pic that ''plymouth'' decal seems a litle 2 small 2 be for a superbird-MATT

Is that the first thing that you noticed that was a little different from an original superbird?  ;D

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

dont get me wrong i love that car and would die 2 own it :icon_smile_big: but that plymout decal looks like a paddock one that i have in my possesion that a correct sized one from year one or other places. etc. p.s. im not here 2 diss the car just to point out wut i see, still looks cool-MATT

hotrod98

Matt,
I don't think anyone thought you were dissing marty's car. I know that I didn't think so.
As for the decal, I haven't decided whether to use one on my bird clone or not. I need to start thinking about it though since I'm getting ready to mount the car to the rotisserie as soon as I get my son's racecar out of my personal bay here at the dealership. I think I have most of the parts to build the car now.
Hotrod

Charles Addams

sunroofsuperbird

Yes they look a Little small? I bought them off ebay suppose to be orig?. They were in mopar boxes and sealed? I may change them haven't decided
Some of My Mopars
69 Charger R/T 4x4
70 Superbird conv
69 Daytona 4X4 clone
68 GTX conv
70 Swinger Conv
2 78 Aspen Super Coupes
76 Aspen R/T sunroof
38 dodge street rod
40 Dodge Tk street rod
and many more projects

Ghoste

I think you could get the Plymouth and the Dodge decals over the counter at your Chrysler dealer.  Could it be a set of those?
Not that it matters.

hotrod98

Personally, I think they should have used this size on the original birds. It's the large original decals that don't look right to me.

Charles Addams

THE CHARGER PUNK

they sure do look good in any size 2 me, i would like 2 make an identical replica 2 sun roofs car cept plum crazy purple with a black decals and convert it to RHD with console auto,and torque thrust d rims on bfg T/A's-MATT