News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'69 Charger - Red Interior Question?

Started by #s Matching, August 24, 2005, 12:17:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#s Matching

My '69 Charger R/T has a factory red interior.   The various interior pieces of my car are a slightly different shade of red.   I assume this is mainly due to UV and its effects on the various materials (metal, plastic and vinyl).

Year One lists carpets, 80/20 loop carpet fits 1966-1970 B-body 2-door models with A/T except 1966-1967 Charger models, available in red or medium red.

Legendary lists only one red carpet for 1969.

Would the Legendary red carpet be the correct one for my car?
Which of the Year one carpets would likely be correct?
For this car was there only one shade of red available?

I realize that sending in a sample of carpet with my order would be the best way to match it up, but I am just trying to get a feel for what I need.
#s Matching - 74 Charger SE, 74 Charger Rallye, 69 Charger R/T

694spdRT

I ordered the carpet from Legendary for my '69. They claimed only one color and it matched mine in areas that had not aged very much. Year One might have something in there for the darker red interior from '68? I would go with the RED if ordering from them. I think they get their stuff from Legendary.

From my research the interior colors are:

Regatta Red for the upper dash pad, lower dash pads, glove box door, horn buttom, kick panels, and front pillar pieces.

Ralley Red for the door panels, arm rests, upper door pads, console, heaadrests, and seats.

I got the interior colors from Mopaints. Be forwarned the Rally red from Legendary and the paint from Mopaint are not the same gloss....at least in my case.

I ended up knocking down the gloss on all the dyed parts with some scotchbrite to get a close match.

I can get you some pics when I get my car back from the alignment shop if you need them.

BTW: What is the exterior color of your car?

1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

#s Matching

Some pic's of your car's interior would be great!  My car is factory black with red R/T stripe and a red interior (buckets and AT console).

I have heard good things about both Year One and Legendary, but I am just starting to look into, which company to purchase my interior from.  I will be replacing almost the entire interior.  Do you recommend Legendary?

The Regatta and Rallye red colors you refer to, are those paint colors, old Mopar cloth/vinyl colors or do some of the current reproduction companies refer to those colors for their products?

694spdRT

Regatta and Ralley red are factory interior colors used by Chrysler in 1969. Mopaints sells them in spray cans and claim they are an exact match. They are a "dye" actually that is supposed to go into the vinyl. I asked them about what to use it on and he said not to use it on seat covers. I have had no problems using the product on plastic or the vinyl.

If you can get through to Mopaints they are very helpful(line is busy a lot). He will remember me becasue of the issue with trying to match Legendary's Rally red dye. Like I said previously I had to knock down the gloss to get it close.

Your color combo sounds killer BTW!

Mine is R6 red with black top and stripe delete with the red interior.

I would talk to Brian at Legendary as I bought all my interior items from them including seat covers, carpet, headliner, doorpanels, etc.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

#s Matching

Quote from: 694spdRT on August 24, 2005, 02:22:16 PM
Your color combo sounds killer BTW!

Thanx

Mine is R6 red with black top and stripe delete with the red interior.

Yours sounds sweet as well plus that 4spd   :icon_smile_tongue: . Must be a bit of a sleeper, with the SE vinyl, no stripe but the R/T performance.

I would talk to Brian at Legendary as I bought all my interior items from them including seat covers, carpet, headliner, doorpanels, etc.

I will be after seat covers, seat foam, carpet, headliner, various insulation pieces, some weather striping plus a couple arm rests.   Do you still have the part numbers from Legendary for the pieces you ordered?   Which pieces did you dye and /or repaint?

694spdRT

Quote from: #s Matching on August 26, 2005, 10:34:22 PM
I will be after seat covers, seat foam, carpet, headliner, various insulation pieces, some weather striping plus a couple arm rests.  Do you still have the part numbers from Legendary for the pieces you ordered?  Which pieces did you dye and /or repaint?

I should have a order sheet in my files somewhere....I will check. If you talk to Brian or any one there they can just pull it up if you tell them what you have. That is what I liked about them vs Year One. I ordered nearly everything from them as far as "soft" products went. Vinyl top, all weatherstriping, trunk mat, all interior, etc. The problem with any of the non-standard colors are dye lot variations. For example, my red from last year might not be the exact same as the red you order. I don't know the exact details on this but, that is how Legendary explained it to me. Plan for a couple months lead time for red.

I dyed my upper and lower dash pads, glove box door, front and rear upper doors pads, arm rests, and headrests. The plastic parts I dyed/painted were console, kick panels, windshield pillar covers, rear window trim, and the rest of the interior trim.   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto