News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Difference

Started by JMF, September 18, 2006, 05:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Sorry if this sounds stupid but i'm still learning, why are the front wings on a 1970 Charger different from the 1968 and 1969? I thought essentially the body on all 3 is the same?

Ghoste

What do you mean by "front wings"?
As to the difference in years, there are many subtle and not so subtle changes from 68 to 70.  Same holds true for 66 and 67 and 71 to 74.  Cars evolved continually and even though most sheet metal may appear to stay constant, engineering changes happened frequently.  Even late to early build of the same model year can have a lot of physical differences under the skin.

lookin@my68

By front wings do you mean fenders?

If so then it's because the bumper bar wraps around the grille so the fenders are shorter to accommodate it.

JMF

Yeah sorry I mean fenders, i'm from England, we call that part the wings, I think the 1970 chrome grille suits the Charger

Jon Smith

68 and 69 wing..er..fenders are different too because of the side marker lights

Ghoste

You Brits.  Always screwing up the English language.  :D

JMF

Hahahaha, actually my family gets annoyed as i've started using the American terms, I only drive American cars so I say hood now instead of bonnett and trunk instead of boot

JimShine

Quote from: Jon Smith on September 19, 2006, 06:49:34 AM
68 and 69 wing..er..fenders are different too because of the side marker lights

There is a difference where the fender mounts to the radiator support as well.

Ghoste

Quote from: JMF on September 19, 2006, 01:15:32 PM
Hahahaha, actually my family gets annoyed as i've started using the American terms, I only drive American cars so I say hood now instead of bonnett and trunk instead of boot

I know guys around here who are into British cars and they do the opposite so tell your family it all works out in the end.

bull

Actually the fenders on the '70s are quite a bit different than '68 and '69, and not just because of the bumper and marker lights. Pretty much the entire portion from the front of the wheel well forward is shaped differently.

Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2006, 11:47:59 AM
You Brits. Always screwing up the English language. :D

:haha: That's funny.

bill440rt

Quote from: lookin4a68 on September 19, 2006, 05:36:39 AM
By front wings do you mean fenders?

If so then it's because the bumper bar wraps around the grille so the fenders are shorter to accommodate it.

Actually, the fenders aren't really shorter at all. If anything, they are the same, possibly even longer. And, they're WIDER on top! Believe it or Not!!
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce