News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Sandblasting undercarriage

Started by DC_1, August 24, 2005, 09:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DC_1

I am planning on sandblasting the underside of my car but i am wondering if I will need to strip the undercoating off first. Or will the sandblasting remove it? I plan on bringing it somewhere to have it done professionally( only cause I don't want the mess)
I got a price of $1500 CAD = 1250 USD to soda blast all body panels and sand blast the underside and epoxy prime the car after. This is provided I bring the car mounted to a rotisserie. Is this a reasonable price? Anything I should be keeping in mind from those of you that have done this?

Thanks as always

DC

41husk

That seems to be in the nieghborhood, I was qouted $800 a couple of years ago for my Challenger but I just needed drive train and interior removed upon delivery.  Unfortunetly that place is in Pocahontas IL, a little fur from Cannada.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

PocketThunder

sandblasting the undercoating will take forever and a day to get it all off.  the undercoating is so brittle now that it should chip off with a small hammer and chissel.  Then the blasters will have a whole lot easier time with the underside. ..but if its the same price either way then let them do it....
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bull

A guy at my body shop told me that media will not remove undercoating. FWIW

Silver R/T

depends on media, rough sand will remove most anything, removes bondo easily, why wouldnt it remove undercoating
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Troy

Quote from: Silver R/T on August 24, 2005, 08:56:18 PM
depends on media, rough sand will remove most anything, removes bondo easily, why wouldnt it remove undercoating

It's rubber... :-\ (Ok, tar but it still bounces the stuff back at you.)

Sydmoe: the places I've talked to tell me that they have some "stuff" that will basically liquefy the undercoating and it falls right off. They told me to just deliver it "as is" and they'd take care of the undercoating. If you are really bored and a glutton for punishment, you can do it yourself with a torch and a scraper. The torch will soften the undercoating initially but it's messy so if you leave the heat on it longer it hardens and you can chip it off. Be careful because you can catch it on fire! I think the price is reasonable - I was quoted $700 to plastic bead blast the shell plus $80 for each additional panel (doors, hood, trunk, fenders) and they weren't going to prime anything. My total cost would be about the same but it would be more work on my part.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Silver R/T

torch works too, its gonna stink and burn for while though
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

DC_1

thanks guys.....I am picking up a buddies rotisserie this weekend and hopefully I can have the car stripped down to the shell by next weekend so I can mount it, spin it, and start scrapin! The blaster quoted me a price over the phone but he never said anything about me having to stip the undercoating but I can see how it would be a tough job for a blaster because as you say it absorb the impact of the media most likely. I guess I could call him but I am sure if it takes him longer than expected it will increase my price so I may as well do as much as I can on my own.

69hemi

Just use a torch and a putty knife and work it slow.  A good trick is to have someone work the torch while you do the scraping and it goes much faster.  Try not to get the metal too hot to avoid warpage.
http://www.69hemi.com
1969 Hemi R/T Charger
1969 440 GTX
1965 Hemi A/FX Plymouth
1964 Hemi Superstock Dodge
02 Ram
95 Ram